Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

We can win the flag this year

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

jackcass wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
jackcass wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Premiership teams beat the other contenders. Doesn't matter how close you get, you need to win.

We've been really good the past two weeks, but we need to find a way to beat the top 4 teams.

Well actually you only have to beat them once.

The four weeks from Freo to West Coast are like finals starting outside of the top 4.

To win the flag, you have to win four consecutive games against top 8 teams. Lose and your out.

So far, we'd have been eliminate week 1.

No chance of a flag this year as we can't beat four top 8 teams in consecutive weeks.

Only if you assume that the results from the last game guarantee the outcome of the next. Every new contest the scoreboard starts at 0.0 - 0.0

Yep, except one team will have grown a bit and the other declined a bit or stood still. My money is on Collingwood being the first of those three options. No argument that it's an Everest climb from outside the top 4, though.

Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:44 pm

We'll need to starting winning some of these so called big games fairly soon to show that we are a force but not this year, reckon ( and I don't no why ) it'll be bad to make top 4 so early in our development.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:41 am

After last night I hope we at least make it to the Prelim, but its an interesting point, we are a chance this year. Sure we may be better placed next year or the year after but injuries can cruel any team at any time, I hope if we get deep into finals there isn't a belief that its just a good chance to gain finals experience, take any chance you get!
E 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:29 am

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
I agree - not beyond the realms of possibility, although the younger crew will tire as the year continues.

I agree with the OP and I agree with this as well.

If by some miracle our young guys are still playing this well in round 22 and beyond, we will fancy our chances against anyone.

E 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:32 am

What'sinaname wrote:
Premiership teams beat the other contenders. Doesn't matter how close you get, you need to win.

We've been really good the past two weeks, but we need to find a way to beat the top 4 teams.

Young premiership teams often lose to the good teams during the season and then gradually find the belief during the course of the season (and gain experience from the close losses).

This doesn't mean anything other than the fact that I am not too worried about these two losses as holding us back in any way (so long as we have great coaches and the right players).

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:57 am

The last two weeks could have almost guaranteed a spot in the 8 but as it stands we are not even a lock for finals when you look at our draw. There are no easy games in this Comp. we are capable of winning them all but the reality is we may drop one or two against sides we are superior to. That's the nature of a young inexperienced group. I'll be wrapt if we finish in the 8 at this stage. If we don't I'll be gutted.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:36 am

Doubt we are ready this year
2016 looking promising
Any finals experience we get this year helps

At the start of the year final 8 was considered optimistic
The naysayers thought bottom 4
Now top 4 is a possibility and getting to the GF optimistic

And Buckley can coach and we have a game plan something some posters claimed was not true

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:52 am

I very much doubt it. The past 2 weeks have shown that we can mix it with the best but solid wins against top 4 teams is what makes you a contender. We're improving rapidly but not convinced we're good enough just yet. The best I think we could do is win one final.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:08 am

on rudie's op, absolutely we can win the flag. whether we will is a different proposition altogether.
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:10 am

Given that we were so close to beating Freo and should've beaten Hawthorn by five goals we really should be setting ourselves to try and win the flag this year. Just because we have some young players coming through doesn't make it inevitable that we're going to win a flag or two in the next five years. Plenty of teams have gotten into the top 4 or top 8 and then gone back down the ladder. You also have to consider that while we have young players coming through we have older champions like Pendlebury, Swan and Cloke who will begin to decline and there's no guarantee that any of our current crop of youngsters are going to be as good as Pendlebury, Swan and Cloke were in their prime.

Seriously why would you get within two kicks of beating the two best teams in the comp and think maybe next year?
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:28 am

Dangles wrote:
Given that we were so close to beating Freo and should've beaten Hawthorn by five goals we really should be setting ourselves to try and win the flag this year. Just because we have some young players coming through doesn't make it inevitable that we're going to win a flag or two in the next five years. Plenty of teams have gotten into the top 4 or top 8 and then gone back down the ladder. You also have to consider that while we have young players coming through we have older champions like Pendlebury, Swan and Cloke who will begin to decline and there's no guarantee that any of our current crop of youngsters are going to be as good as Pendlebury, Swan and Cloke were in their prime.

Seriously why would you get within two kicks of beating the two best teams in the comp and think maybe next year?

Right on Dangles. We must go all out to win the flag this year. Go Pies!
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:57 am

On our day we can match it with any team. That said our intensity and endeavour is not always complemented with accuracy in front of goals and to beat the best teams we have to get everything right. Our team is young and learning and there is still a lot of talent on the sdidelines. The young bodies will tire as the year progresses and whilst anything is possoble I beleve we will be in better shape over the next three years.
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:16 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
On our day we can match it with any team. That said our intensity and endeavour is not always complemented with accuracy in front of goals and to beat the best teams we have to get everything right. Our team is young and learning and there is still a lot of talent on the sdidelines. The young bodies will tire as the year progresses and whilst anything is possoble I beleve we will be in better shape over the next three years.

Yeah, but blokes like Fasolo, Cloke and White can't blame youth or inexperience for poor conversion. I'm beginning to think all this focus on our youth is just spin to keep the expectations low and keep us under the radar. It's a clever tactic to keep the pressure off.
E 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:25 pm

Dangles wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:

Yeah, but blokes like Fasolo, Cloke and White can't blame youth or inexperience for poor conversion. I'm beginning to think all this focus on our youth is just spin to keep the expectations low and keep us under the radar. It's a clever tactic to keep the pressure off.

Yes, in order to keep expectations low, we played : Moore, Maynard, De Goey, Broomhead, Langdon, Adams, Frost, Williams, Elliot, Witts ... nearly half the team! What a ruse......

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:28 pm

ruse is a ruse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: