Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

We can win the flag this year

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:15 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangles wrote:
E wrote:
Dangles wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
On our day we can match it with any team. That said our intensity and endeavour is not always complemented with accuracy in front of goals and to beat the best teams we have to get everything right. Our team is young and learning and there is still a lot of talent on the sdidelines. The young bodies will tire as the year progresses and whilst anything is possoble I beleve we will be in better shape over the next three years.

Yeah, but blokes like Fasolo, Cloke and White can't blame youth or inexperience for poor conversion. I'm beginning to think all this focus on our youth is just spin to keep the expectations low and keep us under the radar. It's a clever tactic to keep the pressure off.

Yes, in order to keep expectations low, we played : Moore, Maynard, De Goey, Broomhead, Langdon, Adams, Frost, Williams, Elliot, Witts ... nearly half the team! What a ruse......

Playing them is not a ruse. Talking them down is. The team served it up to the two best teams in the comp back to back. We're a good team and should expect to win finals this year.

Sarcasm does appear lost on some.
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:11 pm

jackcass wrote:
Dangles wrote:
E wrote:
Dangles wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
On our day we can match it with any team. That said our intensity and endeavour is not always complemented with accuracy in front of goals and to beat the best teams we have to get everything right. Our team is young and learning and there is still a lot of talent on the sdidelines. The young bodies will tire as the year progresses and whilst anything is possoble I beleve we will be in better shape over the next three years.

Yeah, but blokes like Fasolo, Cloke and White can't blame youth or inexperience for poor conversion. I'm beginning to think all this focus on our youth is just spin to keep the expectations low and keep us under the radar. It's a clever tactic to keep the pressure off.

Yes, in order to keep expectations low, we played : Moore, Maynard, De Goey, Broomhead, Langdon, Adams, Frost, Williams, Elliot, Witts ... nearly half the team! What a ruse......

Playing them is not a ruse. Talking them down is. The team served it up to the two best teams in the comp back to back. We're a good team and should expect to win finals this year.

Sarcasm does appear lost on some.

Sarcasm? I thought he was being disingenuous.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:30 pm

To win a flag will most likely be a top 4 side… with Freo miles ahead and Swans and Hawks experience it is the Eagles who are the weak link…

The Pies game against the Weagles is huge - win that and we are a chance of getting ahead of them, but firstly we need to beat Port.

Like us the eagles have a tough run home… Suns and Saints improving form make their fixture a little tougher than a few weeks ago. The unknown is the Crows who the Eagles play twice in the run to the finals.

If the Pies win the next 2 weeks against Port and Weagles we are going to be very close to a top 4 spot…lock it in I reckon and then a flag is possible.

However I think the Pies will lose one of these games - maybe even both and will not make the top 4 - but even this discussion/thread is something that was not on the radar at the start of this season. A season where the Pies have started to climb back up - and Bux is 'safe' as our coach over the next 5 years as we have a real dip at adding to our premierships!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:42 pm

yin-YANG wrote:
To win a flag will most likely be a top 4 side… with Freo miles ahead and Swans and Hawks experience it is the Eagles who are the weak link…

The Pies game against the Weagles is huge - win that and we are a chance of getting ahead of them, but firstly we need to beat Port.

Like us the eagles have a tough run home… Suns and Saints improving form make their fixture a little tougher than a few weeks ago. The unknown is the Crows who the Eagles play twice in the run to the finals.

If the Pies win the next 2 weeks against Port and Weagles we are going to be very close to a top 4 spot…lock it in I reckon and then a flag is possible.

However I think the Pies will lose one of these games - maybe even both and will not make the top 4 - but even this discussion/thread is something that was not on the radar at the start of this season. A season where the Pies have started to climb back up - and Bux is 'safe' as our coach over the next 5 years as we have a real dip at adding to our premierships!

Can't argue with that. The main reason why I think we are entitled to aim for a flag this year is that we've shown we can match it with the best, but we are on the improve, with several quality players likely to force their way into our side over the next 5-6 weeks, making us a stronger unit.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:07 pm

Not so sure there are quality players to come in now though…

Greenwood is the main chance - but our mids have been very strong - he will add more strength inside but we really need a key forward to come in - i.e. Reid.

Clearly Gault is not the one, Moore is too raw and Grundy/Witts don't seem to be good enough to even to displace White as the Second fwd tall option!

With Reid's setback he is unlikely to make much impact this year when it counts- he may in a month or so but the season will be done in re to the top 4 teams by then.

Grundy and Goldy will add some strength and grunt to the team, so they should replace Moore and Maynard, but overall you are correct we are matching it with the best teams which is wonderful to see Smile

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:09 pm

yin-YANG wrote:
Not so sure there are quality players to come in now though…

Greenwood is the main chance - but our mids have been very strong - he will add more strength inside but we really need a key forward to come in - i.e. Reid.

Clearly Gault is not the one, Moore is too raw and Grundy/Witts don't seem to be good enough to even to displace White as the Second fwd tall option!

With Reid's setback he is unlikely to make much impact this year when it counts- he may in a month or so but the season will be done in re to the top 4 teams by then.

Grundy and Goldy will add some strength and grunt to the team, so they should replace Moore and Maynard, but overall you are correct we are matching it with the best teams which is wonderful to see Smile

Greenwood, Grundy, Goldsack, Reid (I still reckon he'll get back) and Scharenberg should all be in our best 22 by season's end.
Medieval 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:50 pm

As much as I'd love to win the flag this year, as I'm sure we all would, I don't mind waiting. I hope we finish 7-8 and do some damage in the finals. This also means we get a decent draw next year with the groupings. The only thing I could think while on the way home from the game on friday night was that we are going to smash those Dawk pricks next year. I can't wait, but I know I have to.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:57 pm

Medieval wrote:
As much as I'd love to win the flag this year, as I'm sure we all would, I don't mind waiting. I hope we finish 7-8 and do some damage in the finals. This also means we get a decent draw next year with the groupings. The only thing I could think while on the way home from the game on friday night was that we are going to smash those Dawk pricks next year. I can't wait, but I know I have to.

We might even get the chance to smash the Hawks in September this year. Cool
Kwah-LeBaire 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:14 pm

Albert Parker wrote:
Dangles wrote:
Is this the most positive this board has ever been after two loses on the trot?

Plus one.
Kwah-LeBaire 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:20 pm

swoop42 wrote:
We should be a better football side by this time next year so in 2016 a flag is a very real possibility for mine. We aren't that far away now.

Agreed, but I'm gonna take it one week at a time. Keeping the lid on.

I'm going to the game on Thursday. Please, let me come home smiling...
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:54 pm

No, no we can't win the flag this year, maybe in a couple more years.

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Brown26 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:40 am

This weeks game will show us if we're a serious threat or not. If we keep improving this year, get Grundy back, some how finish forth, play Freo in Freo and knock them off (ie. we can make up 10 points by the end of the year) - all of a sudden we get a week off and a home Pre-lim - looking good!

If we win well this week I think we can say we're a challenger. If we lose, I think we can say we're a good young side that can match it with the best but not ready yet.

Just being a challenger doesn't mean we'll win the flag - obviously - but it means we could win it (as Rudey said in the OP). Premiership chances don't always win 22 games during the regular season, they often drop a few against the other good sides, BUT they usually rally against the middle of the road sides and have comfortable wins. We need to show that against Port, and then we need to beat WC (and probably Sydney) in reality. Premiership chances rarely lose to ALL the good teams in the regular season!

- Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: