Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

We can win the flag this year

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

E wrote:
Dangles wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
On our day we can match it with any team. That said our intensity and endeavour is not always complemented with accuracy in front of goals and to beat the best teams we have to get everything right. Our team is young and learning and there is still a lot of talent on the sdidelines. The young bodies will tire as the year progresses and whilst anything is possoble I beleve we will be in better shape over the next three years.

Yeah, but blokes like Fasolo, Cloke and White can't blame youth or inexperience for poor conversion. I'm beginning to think all this focus on our youth is just spin to keep the expectations low and keep us under the radar. It's a clever tactic to keep the pressure off.

Yes, in order to keep expectations low, we played : Moore, Maynard, De Goey, Broomhead, Langdon, Adams, Frost, Williams, Elliot, Witts ... nearly half the team! What a ruse......

Playing them is not a ruse. Talking them down is. The team served it up to the two best teams in the comp back to back. We're a good team and should expect to win finals this year.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:14 pm

We can, but I doubt we will.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
uncanny 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:33 pm

The last two games shows we are a chance to go all the way this year but, especially given a loss both time, an outside chance.
Happy with that though as I thought there was no chance at the start of the year.
Must win against power this week...

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:37 pm

I'll be barracking for whoever plays against the hawks and eagles from here on out.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:38 pm

Like '07, we're a chance if we can snag a prelim spot from the bottom half of the 8, then run into a run down, tired outfit like the Hawks in the granny. If we had to play a hungry mob like Freo then we'd probably get pantsed.
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:39 pm

Hawthorn , was our only "bogey" team for me. I now do not have that fear. This group is capable, but more importantly (and commentatorsare now excepting and begrudgingly admitting , after their early seasons predictions), that we are building something special, and will be a force, probably sooner than expected. Gunna be some ride folks..get excited! This year?..gunna need everything and luck to fall into place, stranger things have happened. Cmon footy Gods, smile upon the Mighty Magpies!
winpies Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:42 pm

Great game against the Hawks. Cannot complain about the effort. Straighter kicking and the game was ours.

We are a young team and generally young teams will eventually run out of steam for awhile. If we make the finals, fantastic and what a great early experience for our kids.

If we don't, it would still be a good year for the team.

The development of the whole team has already taken great strides.

I am extremely proud of our efforts thus far and look forward to seeing just how far we can go this year.

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:44 pm

Is this the most positive this board has ever been after two loses on the trot?
ad4eva Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:26 pm

The biggest thing i take away from the last month is this side is built to play 'finals football'. Our game plan and style has the right ingredients to win big games on the biggest stage.

Like a couple of previous posts, we lack a little bit of 'been there done that' experience, probably 15-20 games short for 7-8 blokes in our side for us to really take the last two games by the scruff and drag it over the line.

Our game plan has proven successful against Freo in Freo and Hawthorn at the G. Exciting stuff.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:30 pm

Still a couple of years away. This years goal is to make finals and win 1.

Building for 2017, where we shall equal the Blues and Dons who are centuries away at the minute.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:45 am

Not sure why people keep thinking it'll take till 2017 for a genuine premiership chance.

We should be a better football side by this time next year so in 2016 a flag is a very real possibility for mine.

We aren't that far away now.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:48 am

I've seen various opinions on this but I honestly think our time will come from 2017 onwards. We're nearly there but another 30 games for these youngsters and all of a sudden we're a serious threat.

This is still a young side for mine but we may surge up the ladder even further next year but I'd like to see what the boys can produce now from to the end of the season. Will they sustain these efforts or fade and can they match it with the best sides in the finals assuming we make the finals this year?

However in saying that I'm remarkably surprised by how well we've performed this year. I think everyone including those internally are likely to be surprised by the rapid improvement this year especially after last year's second half fade out so I can only consider this year a positive so far.

E 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:26 am

Jezza wrote:
I've seen various opinions on this but I honestly think our time will come from 2017 onwards. We're nearly there but another 30 games for these youngsters and all of a sudden we're a serious threat.

This is still a young side for mine but we may surge up the ladder even further next year but I'd like to see what the boys can produce now from to the end of the season. Will they sustain these efforts or fade and can they match it with the best sides in the finals assuming we make the finals this year?

However in saying that I'm remarkably surprised by how well we've performed this year. I think everyone including those internally are likely to be surprised by the rapid improvement this year especially after last year's second half fade out so I can only consider this year a positive so far.

Your big issue is that Cloke, Pendles and Swan are starting to get old by 2017 and they are more valuable to this team that a lot give them credit for. Throw in Blair, Tooves, Trav Varcoe, the Sack and Nate Brown, that's a quarter of the team. You will have to find improvement elsewhere as I expect you'll see a little drop off.

Given where we are right now, it really feels like Collingwood will want to be chasing the 2016 flag pretty hard! Wouldn't surprise to see the pies chase one extra midfielder in free agency this year to push us over the top.

The main issue, as you will see from below, is whether the extra improvement you will get from the high draft picks (if any) is the thing we will need to push us over the top, or whether its the further improvement of the core that should all be established senior players by the end of next year. In my mind 2017 is way too long to wait for this list!

These are the guys that are absolutely ready to win now (only focusing on the 33 or so realistically in the mix to be premiership players in 2016):

Cloke, Pendles, Swan, Sidebottom, Toovs, Brown, Blair, Goldsack, Elliot, Fas, Adams, White, Williams, Varcoe, Greenwood, Reid (16 players)

These guys will be ready to win now in one year:

Grundy, Witts, Crisp, Broomhead, Frost, Langdon, Seedsman, Sinclair, DeGoey, Oxley, Ramsey (12 players)

These are the guys who you would think will be ready in 2017 (if at all):

Scharenberg, Freeman, Moore, Kennedy, Maynard (5 players)

Excluded (for various reasons): Macaffer, Young, Dwyer, Karnezis, Marsh, Goodyear, Abbott, M. Cox, C. Gault, Thomas, Keefe and Armstrong.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:49 am

The only reason we are very unlikely to win it this year is that we'll finish outside the top 4. We should have beaten the Hawks on Friday, and with improvement likely by year end in DeGoey, Greenwood and maybe Reid, we may be the best team in the comp by Round 22. Is it possible we'll fall away ? Of course... but on present indications I don't see it. I just see improvement.

My father played for North Melbourne in the early 1950s and he's both an astute judge and pretty non-aligned. His view is that any team in the top 4 which finds it's going to have to confront Collingwood in September will be terrified and cursing its luck.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:27 am

Dangles wrote:
Is this the most positive this board has ever been after two loses on the trot?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: