Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Did Reece Harding do the right thing?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Morally speaking, did Reece Harding do the right thing?
Yes
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Not sure
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:49 pm
Post subject: Did Reece Harding do the right thing?Reply with quote

Some of you will have heard of this young man's death over in Syria:

http://m.smh.com.au/national/queensland-surfie-reece-harding-dies-fighting-with-kurds-in-syria-20150701-gi2o6d.html

It's hard for me to think of a braver or more ethical thing you could do right now than helping the Kurds in their struggle for survival against ISIS. Yet, according to this government's 'Foreign Fighters' legislation, he committed a crime (and a serious one at that).

What do you think? Morally speaking, did he do the right thing? Explain the reasons for your choice below.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Post David. My thoughts are he did what he believed in as do the other idiots on the other side. Suicide bombers do what they believe is right and that doesn't make it right. Personally I am so disillusioned with what's transpiring on a global scale that the only way I see to get out of this chaos is to remove Religion as a whole and that won't happen.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:06 pm

Yup, the foreign fighters legislation is a dreadful idea. What would this have done to all the brave men and women who went to Spain in the 1930s trying to defend the elected government against Franco's fascist coup? They would have succeeded too if it hadn't been for Hitler and Mussolini sending in the storm troops and bombing the defenceless cities of that unhappy country.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:13 pm

Culprit wrote:
Great Post David. My thoughts are he did what he believed in as do the other idiots on the other side. Suicide bombers do what they believe is right and that doesn't make it right. Personally I am so disillusioned with what's transpiring on a global scale that the only way I see to get out of this chaos is to remove Religion as a whole and that won't happen.

Although it obviously motivates ISIS in a big way, this is not a religious war per se. The Kurds are defending their homeland, first and foremost (well, perhaps their lives first and their homeland second).

It's an interesting view, though. Does that mean that fighting in any war is morally ambiguous? Would you say the same about Australian soldiers?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:24 pm

David wrote:
Does that mean that fighting in any war is morally ambiguous?

No. It is nearly always ambiguous. It only becomes morally clear-cut when it is entirely evil, as sometimes happens. But that's a rare edge case and applies in only a few instances. For practical purposes, the answer is a simple "yes".

David wrote:
Would you say the same about Australian soldiers?

Of course. Nationality has nothing to do with it. Australian, Aremenian, Austrian, it's the same all the way through to Zambian and Zimbabwean.

Doc63 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:26 pm

We could always send the rioting prisoners over there with no smokes - that'd scare the shit out of ISIS.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:27 pm

Doc63 wrote:
We could always send the rioting prisoners over there with no smokes - that'd scare the shit out of ISIS.

Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:32 pm

David wrote:
Does that mean that fighting in any war is morally ambiguous?

We've been contemplating this issue for a very long time, here's one of the first in Christian Europe:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_war_theory

St Thomas Aquinas was a very intelligent man.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:38 pm

If we had one rule for people like him and another for people who join ISIS then some would bitch and moan about it.

He might be fighting on the side of what most of us would conclude are the good guys in this battle but what if they end up inflicting the same sort of torture and murder on captured ISIS fighters or local sympathisers?

He isn't a member of our armed forces, isn't a trained soldier and doesn't have to abide by the rules of engagement or treatment of prisoners they do.

He's dead now and that should be reason enough why we don't want other individuals with good intentions following this path.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:42 pm

Do you think everyone will agree?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:27 am

Certainly agree on the last part – but there's a big difference between "not endorsing or encouraging" and actively criminalising.

The grey areas you mention are one of the reasons I opposed this legislation in the first place. Personally, I'm not entirely sure what we're trying to do by legislating on foreign conflicts.

If you go overseas and commit a crime, like Rolf Harris or Schapelle Corby, you generally get tried and punished in that jurisdiction. If you commit something like war crimes in another country, shouldn't the same principle apply (up to and including extradition where necessary?). It doesn't matter who you fight for; commit a war crime and you get punished for it.

On the flipside, if you haven't committed some kind of war crime, why should you be punished at all? That goes for either side.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:47 am

War crime or not you're still potentially committing murder of another and while it can be argued it's in your defence or defence of others if you aren't a member of the armed forces or a I suppose in certain circumstances an approved security detail you don't have the same protections under the law.

Do we want armed vigilantes roaming the streets or police?

I doubt any person deemed to be fighting for the "good guys" will feel the full weight of this particular law but I think you do need some form of law to discourage people going.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:08 am

I would be inclined to say he's foolish and irresponsible, not "immoral". *But* at his age, foolishness and irresponsibility can be forgiven, and are driven by so many still-developing emotions.

Certainly, there is nothing "moral" about getting yourself killed in a very high-risk endeavour about which you likely know very little. Better to devote yourself to a few years of awareness-raising and education than to die doing something like that.

Also, the chances of that sort of behaviour being motivated by what we recognise as "morality" are extremely slim. But, as I say, he was just a kid, so I feel for really sorry for him regardless.

It's a bit like the 3T and thousands of military lives thrown away wrecking Iraq for "moral" reasons; you could almost have spent 3T on anything for a better result. Well, the same applies to those who have thrown their lives away in this arbitrary manner. (And, of course, you can imagine what I think of those who throw other people's lives away like that, including ISIS or the idiots behind the Iraq War, or any ignorant moron who encouraged him to do as much).

Of course, you wouldn't say that at the poor kid's funeral, but let's not valourise high-risk, naive, and emotionally-confused decisions. Think "vulnerable mind who needed help", not morality, for goodness' sake.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:26 am

Is it any more foolish or irresponsible than joining the Australian army, though?

That's a serious question. We don't know what he was thinking or what his exact motivations were, but let us at least consider as a hypothetical that he researched the conflict and knew exactly what the Kurds were fighting for (and while no war is black and white, the battle between the Kurds and ISIS is about as close to it as it gets). What makes him fundamentally different to the partisans joining the Russian forces in WW2 or the international brigade fighting against Franco in the Spanish Civil War?

I'm mostly a pacifist, but there comes a time and place when you need to take up arms. At this point in time, it is hard to think of any group that needs to do so (or is more morally justified in doing so) than the Kurds, and they obviously need all the help they can get. Going over there to fight for them carries immense personal risk, but if that risk is understood, then I struggle to see how it constitutes anything other than a brave and heroic act, frankly. Surely no less so than that of the young Australian men on the Kokoda trail.

swoop42 wrote:
War crime or not you're still potentially committing murder of another and while it can be argued it's in your defence or defence of others if you aren't a member of the armed forces or a I suppose in certain circumstances an approved security detail you don't have the same protections under the law.

Do we want armed vigilantes roaming the streets or police?

I doubt any person deemed to be fighting for the "good guys" will feel the full weight of this particular law but I think you do need some form of law to discourage people going.

There's a big difference between 'vigilantism in the streets' and joining an existing overseas conflict, in my view. I'm confused as to why a civilian joining an overseas conflict and killing soldiers could possibly be considered a murderer while an Australian soldier doing the same would be considered by many to be a hero. Surely there's some middle ground here?

You talk about 'law', but what law applies in Syria or Iraq right now? It's a fight to the death.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:39 am

^Well, as you may have heard me argue before, armies are a last resort for defending yourself, and it is horrifically immoral and unethical in my view to use them in any other way. It is also just as horrific to manage them improperly by giving them insufficient equipment and training, or by not doing everything in your power to minimise the psychiatric damage caused by exposure.

It is a very different thing to inject yourself into a remote situation about which you wouldn't know the first damned thing, than to defend yourself as a last resort when attacked on your own doorstep. That difference is known as sanity, not morality.

As I know you agree, morality is not the result of some mystical goodness lobe located somewhere in the brain. Rather, it is a combination of instinctual and deliberative behaviour. Deliberative decisions by their nature are subject to much calculation, thereby excluding reflexive instinct as the definition of "moral" in scenarios like this. In this case, the moral calculation was as follows: How can I best help those folk?

But, as I say, that's academic now for the poor lad. I only wish someone had've sweated a bit more to stop him because he wasn't thinking straight.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: