Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Prison welfare advocate "get over it"

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:27 pm
Post subject: Prison welfare advocate "get over it"Reply with quote

WTAF?

So some *&%%^&(*^$ who did 10 years for armed robbery is now a prisoner welfare advocate and says Ebony Simpsons mother should "get over it, it's been 23 years".

The killer is about to be downgraded to a B prisoner, which allows him more freedom, 4 hours a day, instead of 1. A toaster in his room. No. Absolutely not. Does Ebony get an hour freedom a day? Does her mother ever get a day without the pain of remembering what this sick bastard did to her daughter?

"Get over it?" There's no getting over it, her daughter is gone. You don't simply "get over it".

He has never shown remorse, never said sorry, never even looked like he cared. May he rot in hell.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a prisoner welfare advocate ? Who appoints them ? Are they funded ? By whom ? Why are they necessary ? etc...? Whatever the answers, this particular example needs to find another line of employment if he thinks that this statement just helped his claimant.

EDIT : I just read about the case. Jesus. If they give him a toaster I hope he electrocutes himself on it.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:19 pm

Yep, my sentiments exactly
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:05 pm

Here's a link, for anyone who's interested.

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/07/13/19/40/mother-outraged-that-child-abductor-who-raped-and-murdered-her-daughter-is-being-given

Typical ACA beat-up. Full sympathy for the mother, obviously, but this is why victims and their families don't sit in the judge's chair and don't decide on prison conditions. She doesn't have a right to dictate the conditions of this guy's prison sentence. The fact that he's locked up for life without parole should be enough.

Not sure how the prison informant thought he/she was doing her a favour by providing her with this information.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:13 pm

I agree with David here, a prisoner still needs to be treated with humanity otherwise we may as well just bring back the death sentence. Small carrots for prisoners help to keep them well behaved and would also prevent mental health breakdowns and further costs.

If someone killed my daughter I'd be spending every waking second figuring out how to return the favour, I certainly shouldn't be deciding on how the murderer is treated in jail (if I didn't get to them first, then I'd be hoping my stay would be somewhat comfy).
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:24 pm

Wokko wrote:
I agree with David here, a prisoner still needs to be treated with humanity otherwise we may as well just bring back the death sentence. Small carrots for prisoners help to keep them well behaved and would also prevent mental health breakdowns and further costs.

If someone killed my daughter I'd be spending every waking second figuring out how to return the favour, I certainly shouldn't be deciding on how the murderer is treated in jail (if I didn't get to them first, then I'd be hoping my stay would be somewhat comfy).

If that cnut had done to my daughter what he did to that little girl I may have been the first person in Australian history to break into a gaol. Treat him with humanity? While my strong rational side sees your point my emotional part says fuckim.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:36 pm

My sentiments exactly, the prick would cop a ceramic blade through the heart the second I heard guilty... the reason why relatives of victims should have no say in prisoner welfare.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:39 pm

Interesting explanation.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:43 pm

David wrote:
Here's a link, for anyone who's interested.

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/07/13/19/40/mother-outraged-that-child-abductor-who-raped-and-murdered-her-daughter-is-being-given

Typical ACA beat-up. Full sympathy for the mother, obviously, but this is why victims and their families don't sit in the judge's chair and don't decide on prison conditions. She doesn't have a right to dictate the conditions of this guy's prison sentence. The fact that he's locked up for life without parole should be enough.

Not sure how the prison informant thought he/she was doing her a favour by providing her with this information.

Oh, I agree - I'm not in favour of allowing the mother to decide the prison conditions, either. Apart from anyhitng else, it would not help her recovery of some spiritual health. I still hope he gets the toaster and fries himself with it, though.

I still want to know what a prisoner welfare advocate is, and how they are funded. I doubt it is government funded, but if it is, I have a contribution to make to deficit reduction.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:47 pm

Oops. Too much data.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:01 pm

^ I think that's a sad attitude, Mugwump. Prisoner welfare isn't exactly at the front of the queue when it comes to social or political concern, and stories like this will always be leapt on by unethical media outlets looking for outrage and populist politicians looking for easy votes. The fact that we have anybody in our society brave enough to argue for the welfare of our prisoners is something to cherish, and something to support at all costs, I would have thought.

There's a saying in football that your team is only as good as your 22nd player. I think society is much the same – the welfare of prisoners reflects our humanity as a whole.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:04 pm

David wrote:
^ I think that's a sad attitude, Mugwump. Prisoner welfare isn't exactly at the front of the queue when it comes to social or political concern, and stories like this will always be leapt on by unethical media outlets looking for outrage and populist politicians looking for easy votes. The fact that we have anybody in our society brave enough to argue for the welfare of our prisoners is something to cherish, and something to support at all costs, I would have thought.

There's a saying in football that your team is only as good as your 22nd player. I think society is much the same – the welfare of prisoners reflects our humanity as a whole.

Football teams get to delist players who aren't up to standard.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:08 pm

Well, I'm not saying the analogy is exact. Laughing

I guess the point is, when you're a team out on the field, you have to pull together and support each other, even if some aren't pulling their weight.

(Just don't mention the sub rule, lol).

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:10 pm

David wrote:

I don't object to people advocating for prisoners. I just want to ensure it is not publicly funded. Prisoners have their broad basic rights guaranteed under the common law the same as the rest of us. If volunteers want to advocate for them, fair play to them. It's just not a priority for government in my view. If I were to spend money on this area, I'd spend it on making sure that prison inspections were conducted effectively, and on post-release schemes.

Doc63 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:14 pm

Why does he need a toaster? Don't they just get their food given to them? Its not as if he's got a loaf of bread in his cell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: