Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Greece's Debt Crisis

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:59 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Morrigu wrote:
^ I repeat - what do you think will happen?

And please don't quote pages of stuff that will ensure that the will to live is gone after 30 secs - just YOUR opinion of what you think will happen - please!!!

First, I don't sit around predicting stuff, I mostly try to expose nonsense which I think is getting in the way of balanced policy which allows the greatest number of folk to flourish as possible. All that talk you hate is grunt work for that end.

My gut expectation has always been that we will see a lot of posturing and bluster from the Troika for the cameras, and then a deal for Greece to stay through more interim finance measures.

Ideally, that then becomes a first step towards serious EU monetary/fiscal alignment, which enables Greece to take on its own challenges, and the EU to stabilise longer term. But, if serious balance is not forthcoming and the periphery keeps being damaged by the Euro, and the language of racist, moralist economics isn't dealt with, Greece would be better off in the long-term if it exited now. That's the difficult part of the game here.

At the same time, Syriza's responsibility is to stay solidly left without succumbing to nonsense revolution talk, and it must also take some hits to allow the Troika save face.

The EU must be elastic enough to embrace divergent histories, even if it takes time to reach greater alignment, and it needs to stop the racist talk quick smart.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:17 am

Morrigu wrote:
^ I repeat - what do you think will happen?

And please don't quote pages of stuff that will ensure that the will to live is gone after 30 secs - just YOUR opinion of what you think will happen - please!!!

It's a bit like a horse race. There is no way to know for sure.

However, i believe that Greece will commence printing IOUs and that these will progressively become, over the weeks ahead, the new currency for Greece as it defaults on repayments to the ECB.

If they cut a deal which allows Greece to stay in the Euro, it'll probably plunge into another crisis within a year or so, especially if Syriza survives, as there is no trust between Syriza and the people who need to bankroll the country. Syriza won't make the required hard choices.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:27 am

stui magpie wrote:

First bit of straight out sense I've seen in several pages on this thread. Thank you.

It's right, but it makes it sound as though a 2008 Grexit would have been a speed hump on the road to the freeway. In 2008 the global economy was in the middle of a cardiac arrest. A disorderly Grexit at that moment (or any time in the 24 months that followed) probably would have led to financial and economic chaos on a truly global scale. Bankers shoudl never be trusted, but that does not mean that disorderly financial shocks cannot damage lives.

I agree that he soft-pedals the cronyism and institutional corruption that is at the heart of Greece being the Euro's canary in the coalmine.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:05 am

And so the farce escalates. Syriza has now agreed to accept an EU bailout to Greece on terms significantly worse than those which the Greek people rejected (on Syriza's recommendation) in a referendum a few weeks ago. As expectation management goes, it takes some beating.

So far, so surreal. but now this has to be accepted by a Greek parliament which is in uproar over it. If it does pass the deal, then Germany and the other creditors will have to rely on a Greek government, which vehemently opposes the package, actually implementing it. No wonder they wanted a 50 billion Euro asset sequestration as collateral.

In the midst of all this, France, which has not run a balanced budget surplus since the mid 1970s, is urging solidarity ...because "not to bail out Greece would be a retreat from Europe" . One might think that retreat is a good idea when the casulaties are so high, but France's net public debt sits at 98% of GDP and their society explodes in rage against even minor reforms. They may have a vested interest in "solidarity bailouts", eventually.

The German, Dutch, Latvians, and other peoples, who were assured that the Euro would not see them on the hook for other countries' follies, are now finding out that this is in no way the case. Their attitude to European integration is slowly being poisoned.

The coyote will pedal the air beyond the cliff's edge for a few more years, but the fall must surely come as the economies and sub-cultures continue to diverge without any appetite for fiscal transfers between them. When la chute comes, it will be deafening, and the whole world will shake.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:35 am

Econoracism at its most dastardly. Let's see how cowardly the Greek parliament is now. Sadly, we already know how cowardly Merkel is when push comes to shove, and how irresponsible the fanatics at the Troika are.

Well, this is why you elected Syriza, Greece: Now, put your money where your mouth is before you embolden the moral hazard of thuggery and usurpation by allowing reckless investors to use Old Racism to destroy Europe.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:37 am

Mugwump wrote:
And so the farce escalates. Syriza has now agreed to accept an EU bailout to Greece on terms significantly worse than those which the Greek people rejected (on Syriza's recommendation) in a referendum a few weeks ago. As expectation management goes, it takes some beating.

So far, so surreal. but now this has to be accepted by a Greek parliament which is in uproar over it. If it does pass the deal, then Germany and the other creditors will have to rely on a Greek government, which vehemently opposes the package, actually implementing it. No wonder they wanted a 50 billion Euro asset sequestration as collateral.

In the midst of all this, France, which has not run a balanced budget surplus since the mid 1970s, is urging solidarity ...because "not to bail out Greece would be a retreat from Europe" . One might think that retreat is a good idea when the casulaties are so high, but France's net public debt sits at 98% of GDP and their society explodes in rage against even minor reforms. They may have a vested interest in "solidarity bailouts", eventually.

The German, Dutch, Latvians, and other peoples, who were assured that the Euro would not see them on the hook for other countries' follies, are now finding out that this is in no way the case. Their attitude to European integration is slowly being poisoned.

The coyote will pedal the air beyond the cliff's edge for a few more years, but the fall must surely come as the economies and sub-cultures continue to diverge without any appetite for fiscal transfers between them. When la chute comes, it will be deafening, and the whole world will shake.

LOVE that little piece of imagery there. Very Happy

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:58 am

Tsipras does a Costanza😄
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:24 am

so the referndum was a waste of time. Tsipras caved in these reforms will get voted through the greek pariliament. The greek people are seething that tsipras did oppisite to what he said befor the referendum
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:34 am

Some insight into the origins of the fundamentalism of the European Taliban, err European Central Bank:

WCEG wrote:
The Rigid DNA of the European Central Bank

Because of these dynamics around expectations and trust, in the world of Kydland and Prescott’s simple model, an outcome with no inflation and low unemployment is unattainable. Any central banker who tries to reduce unemployment will only end up increasing inflation by inducing workers and firms to expect inflation, which the central banker then has to deliver to avoid unemployment.

To sidestep the Time Consistency Problem, Kydland and Prescott proposed what they called “rules” whereby the central bank should use a mathematical formula to dictate policy, eliminating their discretion. There’s no role for individual central bankers weighing options, hence no opportunity for them to try to fool workers, and hence no concern that workers will be afraid of being fooled and not trust an announced discretionary policy.

As several later writers noted, there’s no guarantee this mathematical formula would not itself be changed, so even mathematically-defined rules based on independent economic data may be just as bad, in practice, as discretion! Instead, as the Time Consistency literature evolved, the critical element in setting anti-inflationary policy is to appoint central bankers with strong reputations for fighting inflation. Everyone will believe them.

The result of this academic wrangling was a consensus in favor of endowing central bankers with no political accountability and tasking them to do whatever’s necessary to curtail inflation should it ever arise. By doing so, they assure inflation never arises in the first place. That is the view that was incorporated into the Maastricht Treaty of 1992 that set up the European Central Bank and gave it the notorious single mandate to reduce inflation, with no eye to mitigating recessions or unemployment.

The problem is that sometimes an economy needs inflation to function well. That’s true of Greece now—a massive debt overhang means that Greek businesses and households aren’t spending. Creditor-enforced austerity means the Greek government isn’t spending either. And an over-valued currency means that no one outside Greece wants to buy what the country is selling.

But the European Central Bank can never allow inflation because in the strange world of the Time Consistency Problem, that would reveal it to be irresponsible and secretly pro-inflation, ultimately leading to hyperinflationary expectations throughout the Eurozone. So despite the massive economic, social, and political cost, the European Central Bank insists on a prolonged depression rather than moderate inflation to work off Greece’s debt overhang. The idea that 25 percent of Greece should be unemployed and the other 75 percent should lose half their income in order to uphold the rigid diktat of an economics paper published in 1977 is not politically sustainable. Instead, Greece may well leave the euro. Either way, the Eurozone will leave its rigid DNA intact. Until the next crisis.

http://equitablegrowth.org/research/rigid-dna-european-central-bank/

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:39 am

GreekLunatic wrote:
so the referndum was a waste of time. Tsipras caved in these reforms will get voted through the Greek pariliament. The Greek people are seething that tsipras did oppisite to what he said befor the referendum

Indeed, I would be, too. Of course, who knows what the deranged psychopaths threatened to do, but you would've hoped he'd be man enough to wear it. Let's see if he has been beaten into a pulp, or if he can salvage economic hope for the country.

If Greece backs down, the moral hazards of high-risk, unaccountable investment of the sort which caused the GFC, and the use of the state for bullying and extortion can only rise putting us all at risk. There is nothing conservative about the conditions put forward; they're reprehensibly reckless and negligent. Let's hope the thugs are now going to allow Tsipras to save face by wresting some hope back over the coming week.

Last edited by pietillidie on Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:41 am

Surely something conservative about the conditions; they're reprehensibly risky and negligent.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:41 am

The rule of thumb is said to be something like one good full-time job supports four other people (is that right?).

Now, can you just imagine what the stress of five years of a 25% decline in GDP, and a 25% (?) unemployment rate on young and vulnerable people alone, is doing to people's psychiatry? And then to heap more of the same on folks without an end in sight?

Is this ISIS TV?

We know from the data that such financial stress represents a major increase in physical violence, substance abuse, child physical and sexual abuse, and the development and worsening of psychiatric disorders.

Just image there are fruitcakes in the world who feel comfortable inflicting that on young people who are not even responsible for the country's debt.

Even worse, many of the same people who crashed the global economy during the GFC will be the beneficiaries, as well as many who received large windfalls from the suffering periphery being trapped in the Euro.

Highly unsavoury stuff.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:46 pm

pietillidie wrote:
Of course, who knows what the deranged psychopaths threatened to do,

Hyperbolic rhetoric completely detached from the issues at stake.

I could do with a deranged psychopath giving me 86 billion on highly advantaged repayment terms because I manipulated data to join their credit union and then mismanaged my finances. Where do I sign ?

There are many complex and powerful issues at stake, and the knee-jerk cry of "racism" and "deranged psychopaths" won't cut it as analysis or insight, here.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:03 am

Mugwump wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
Of course, who knows what the deranged psychopaths threatened to do,

Hyperbolic rhetoric completely detached from the issues at stake.

I could do with a deranged psychopath giving me 86 billion on highly advantaged repayment terms because I manipulated data to join their credit union and then mismanaged my finances. Where do I sign ?

There are many complex and powerful issues at stake, and the knee-jerk cry of "racism" and "deranged psychopaths" won't cut it as analysis or insight, here.

It's your usual received parroting which is detached, I'm afraid. You have layers of simpleton metaphors designed to help you hold on to received, 18th-century Anglophile ideas which have nothing to do with the serious leadership of a vast, complex area like the EU.

An approach which failed to decrease debt because it smashed GDP and employment has just been strengthened. What analysis would you like? That part of the matter is so simple it doesn't warrant mentioning.

What we have is of course an arm-wrestle for power and dominion, both real and imagined, dressed up in laughable econometaphors. To repeat, fact 1: We already know it's not about money per se, because the exact same failed policies have just been strengthened. Fact 2: One group has massively greater power and control, and is imposing enormous suffering on another group for no socioeconomic gain.

The article I posted above talking about expectation theory gets much closer to the truth. Any signal of tolerance is seen as inflationary, and any inflation is seen as the work of the Devil sent to lure and deceive the dumb, ignorant masses. What you apparently don't realise is that fundamentalist god assumptions like that always accompany racism. Always. They're the corollary of the Other party being so fatally flawed.

And you don't get more flawed, ignorant Others within the EU than those lazy, queue-pushing, beach-loitering, disorderly folk in Southern Europe. They're Donald Trump's Mexicans of Europe: Cheats, gangsters and cronies.

And you just fell for it with your regurgitation of the nonsense that Greece snuck into the Euro by deception. Yep, because an entire cadre of Eurocrats were "tricked" by those deceitful Mexicans, err, Greeks.

Yes, Mugwump. Of course, Mugwump. The Greek Cheats cleared everyone off the beaches, put on Hard Yakka overalls, slapped on the skin whitener, and enforced a strict policy of furrowed dourness for two years to trick the poor innocent leaders of Europe into thinking that generations of a certain sociological form had miraculously mutated into a world of Vikings and Visigoths overnight. Laughing Now, that's analysis!

It's econoracism, because all racism thinks it is dealing with an inferior culture that must be shaped into some new "right" form like "us", and right now goddammit! If folk can't change in the five minutes allotted, this is then seen of evidence of their intrinsic inferiority and a "lack of will", which of course we know all lazy cheats have by definition.

It is entertaining watching folk flounder about trying to apply pre-scientific, rural eighteenth-century ideas to the contemporary world, however.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:23 am

^The "racism" chant might simplify things for you, but it's many levels of analysis below the complex strategic and systemic issues at stake. Some of those issues are :

- A currency which makes independently governed states and peoples jointly liable for each other's maladministration ;

- The delicate balance between reforming cronyism vs allowing enough consumption spending for it to grow ;

- The fact that consumption spending funded by external debt is usually not real growth at all (it's just more of how we got here)

- The debt relief that had already been provided to Greece in the form of low interest rates and ultra-long maturity terms

- The fact that if Greece exits the Euro, its chance of ever reforming its institutions to modern European standards is probably gone for generations.

- The reckless behaviour of bankers who lent the money to the Greeks on a false premise and were allowed to transfer their liabilities to the EU Central bank, because of the nexus between bank capital and economic growth.

- The serial failure of Greek governments to implement reforms agreed in bailouts in 2010 and 2012, plus the tragic misleading of the Greek people by Syriza, who called a referendum and then completely disregarded its result to get a worse deal in the subsequent negotiations.

- The power of the Euro to tear Europe apart and create real geopolitical risk in an era of revived Russian chauvinism

Much simpler to cry racism and barrack for Syriza. Team Left, oi oi oi...

Your point about the human effects of economic failure in Greece is of course true, and important. But if Germany (et al) had not already bailed out Greece in 2010 and 2012, the liquidity crisis and economic collapse would have been far, far worse than any subsequent austerity imposed. Greek banks would have closed abruptly as external liquidity dried up.

Could the conditions attached to the 2010 and 2012 bailouts been less harsh ? Probably, though that requires a judgement about how much EU taxpayers money could be (legally) invested in Greek growth being magicked out of a profoundly uncompetitive economy by a corrupt political system which had shown a disinclination to enact reforms it had previously agreed to.

Your comments completely fail to engage with the complex geopolitical and economic issues involved, and retreat to your comfort zone of "It's all racism, innit". I've been following this crisis closely since the end of 2009, when i was based in The Hague and understood it from a Dutch perspective. Read the history of this crisis closely. Few emerge with great credit, but the horns of Northern Europe's dilemma vis-a-vis Greece are undeniable, and they are largely caused by the Euro's fatal premises mixed with very poor behaviour indeed on the part of Greece's successive governments, of which Syriza is probably the worst.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8   

Jump to: