Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Greece's Debt Crisis

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
Hmm, so maybe that Greek island cruise I was checking out not a good idea?

The way it's looking you may be able to buy a greek island for the price of a second hand Kingswood. Razz

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:52 pm

It's disappointing that the finance minister quit. He was cool. He rode a motorcycle and fronted up to international press conferences in t-shirts.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:14 pm

think positive wrote:

It's a great idea, Jo - the sea is still blue, the sun still shining, the food and wine still great, and the crowds fewer than usual. Probably just best to wait a few months, though, as it'll be a bit cheaper in Drachmas, and that seems to be where we are going.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:22 pm

Just on this, the Greeks have now had their referendum, and voted that they should not have to meet their debts. It's a bit like a family voting on whether they want to pay the mortgage. The Greek government has been celebrating the victory for democracy, which it is, in a way - until you notice that the bank manager, Germany, also has a Democracy, and my German friends and acquaintances seem disinclined to vote to pay the Greeks' mortgage for them. Welcome to Alice in Euroland.

I'm clutching my lucky Australian and British passports tightly, and thanking God I was fortunate enough to grow up in countries with relatively low flakiness.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:40 pm

Greeks are so stupid.

Hope the $%$ers run out of money and the military declare martial law.

Someone should invade them and conquer the dumb $%$ers.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:48 pm

What'sinaname wrote:

Someone should invade them and conquer the dumb $%$ers.

Careful, we're talking about the Germans here....

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:16 pm

think positive wrote:

The Greek Islands are nice as long as they're maintained. From what I've gathered from relatives who have travelled recently they say the Greek Islands have become rundown and resemble nothing that you see in a tourist brochure for example.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:18 pm

Woods Of Ypres wrote:
the lazy Greeks only have themselves to blame, they don't pay tax, then retire at 50 and accept lifelong pensions from a Government that borrows billions it cannot afford. typical Greek mentality.

After lying to get into the EU, now they need to be bailed out.

At least the ones that migrate to Melbourne will be forced to work until they are 70 like the rest us. they will sulk about it too.

You're not wrong about many Greeks being lazy. The kind of lifestyle they live would shock many in Australia in my opinion.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:25 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Just on this, the Greeks have now had their referendum, and voted that they should not have to meet their debts. It's a bit like a family voting on whether they want to pay the mortgage.

It's nothing like that at all.

It's much more like a conglomerate refusing to save a failed venture, thereby forcing creditors to put forward a better solution. Legally, the conglomerate cannot go bust, while the creditors had been damaging the conglomerate to such an extent that the share price of its other entities was down by 25%, making it less able to hold the failed venture afloat.

In the end, the two parties have to come to an arrangement which yields a more sustainable and rational outcome.

Ordinary households can't do that because they have so little power. Corporations and the elite running them do it all the time. Markets do it all the time. Investments fail all the time. Debt is written down all the time. Companies are let go bust all the time. Stakeholders vote to do this all the time.

There is nothing special here to see here *at all* except for the unique aspect of a monetary union.

Last edited by pietillidie on Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:29 pm

Jezza wrote:
think positive wrote:

The Greek Islands are nice as long as they're maintained. From what I've gathered from relatives who have travelled recently they say the Greek Islands have become rundown and resemble nothing that you see in a tourist brochure for example.

Good point - tripadvisor recent reviews recommended. I know people who went there this year (I think the Island, or place, was called Iroia) and their reviews were great - but i think they went to one of the priciest locations. After 6 years of grinding austerity, it's a fair bet that some places are the worse for wear.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:59 pm

Am I missing something here Confused

They haven't payed their way for years - much to do with their cash in hand society and corruption and sorry to offend but a general lack of work ethic and any desire or acceptance that they need to contribute financially to expected services such as health care, pensions etc - and are now bankrupt and in debt - having been bailed out by the EU and not repaying that substantial debt - and now expect what - we voted no so we expect you to waive our debt and life goes on?????

Tell em their dreaming................. Rolling Eyes

MUCH MUCH MUCH better places to go Jo Very Happy

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:15 am

Morrigu wrote:
Am I missing something here Confused

Yes, it's called the market. As we speak, an uncountable number of debts around the world are being written down, and an uncountable number of assets are being devalued because stakeholders voted "no" to something in order to negotiate a better deal with creditors.

Do you think asset classes never drop in value? Do you think investors always get their money back? Do you think investors never put money into high-risk ventures? Do you think corporate entities always pay 100 cents in the dollar of their debts?

This is a completely standard everyday occurrence, the only difference being that Greece is contained in the EU, allowing investors to more readily gamble that they would be bailed out or would vote "yes" to harsh austerity.

You have also missed the fact that over the past five years, the policies imposed upon them led to a 25% decline in their GDP, making it even harder for investors to get their money back. That's like a bank breaking a brick layers arms in order to get him to pay his mortgage.

So yes, you are missing a lot! However, you dear Morrigu are completely excused for your disorientation as you have been feasting on the grandeur of our amazing planet these past weeks and are drunk with wonder Very Happy

Last edited by pietillidie on Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:16 am

Do you use double coupons?
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:51 am

^ PTID, The post above reads like a Syriza press release. My analogy is certainly not complete, but its pretty apt. Let me repeat it - The Greek referendum is a bit like a family voting not to pay its debts. Its as futile and meaningless as that, given the dependence on external funding to sustain the economy (aka the house). Thats why the banks are closed in Greece.

Regarding the debt crisis overall, your analogy seems more than a little ambiguous, but I think its that the Greek people are a conglomerate refusing to save a failed venture, thereby forcing creditors to put forward a better solution. If thats what you meant, then the vote doesnt force the creditors (ie EU taxpayers) to put forward anything at all. The referendum essentially dares the bank to foreclose and write down the debt. It is indeed a bit like a family voting not to pay the mortgage. The bank (ECB, IMF et al) will indeed take a hit. Perhaps the haircut will be bigger if it forecloses now, but it may also judge that it is better not to throw good money after bad on a serially delinquent debtor which does not seem to recognise its responsibility for its plight and prefers to blame others.

There is nothing special to see here at all, except for the unique aspect of a monetary union. That is like saying of Lehmann Brothers in 2008 Its a bank collapse - there is nothing special here at all except for the interconnectedness of the global financial system. Its true, it just ignores the salient point.

A sustainable and rational outcome is not really a matter the Greek people can decide, at this point. It is a matter for the other democracies of the EU. It may be naked debt relief (in addition to that already granted in the form of longer payment terms and ECB-underwritten cheap credit for Greece) ; or it may be foreclosure. The former will give encouragement to the likes of Podemos in Spain or Cinque Stelle in Italy who may consider themselves also entitled to Germanys credit card. The latter will probably cause vast suffering in Greece, Balkan geopolitical risk, and market attacks upon other vulnerable Euro members now and in the future.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:54 am

^No, it's nothing like it in any useful sense; quite a major distraction from the market reality we are observing.

The devaluation of a chaotic exit will damage the creditors, the EU and beyond far more than the Troika stopping the ideological chest beating and negotiating a workable deal. That doesn't happen when the Smiths can't repay money and need to borrow more, though it happens all the time in commercial markets.

Greece defaulting, floating a currency and resetting will be very painful of course, but once you've crushed the life out of people they quickly move well beyond those concerns.

In terms of ranking of who has got more to lose, Greek folk must be LOLing. Such nonsense posturing from the EU is precisely why things are written down and written off as standard practice in business; there are always churlish fools willing to cut their noses to spite their faces.

Syriza's test is to negotiate a balance between incentive and stability, and to take no more than that, starting a reform process along the way.

Meanwhile, expect the bank muppets to jump around like crazed baboons a while longer until the right PR opportunity to save face emerges. Again, it's Syriza's test to give them that out and to take a few public slaps along the way towards finding a workable position. The first of those, of course, was Varoufakis.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8   

Jump to: