Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Greece's Debt Crisis

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

http://thereformedbroker.com/2015/06/28/some-stuff-you-should-know-about-greece-before-you-lose-your-s/

Quote:
Welcome to year five (or year 2600, depending on your chosen starting point) of the Greek financial crisis.

Some things worth keeping in mind:

1. Greece invented finance. It was the starting point of currency and “movable” wealth. It was the birthplace of banking, personal loans, securitized lending, real estate loans, credit-based trade, endowment investing, capital levies, interest rate laws, foreign exchange, annuities and many other related innovations that helped to give birth to the modern world.

came across this perspective.

i have often wondered what would happened if a country just gave up and started again. a bit like monopoly when you can't pay the rent cos some flog has built 10 hotels on whitechapel of all fukking places. that's when you hiff the board and all the pieces and storm off.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:30 pm

John Wren wrote:
http://thereformedbroker.com/2015/06/28/some-stuff-you-should-know-about-greece-before-you-lose-your-s/

Quote:
Welcome to year five (or year 2600, depending on your chosen starting point) of the Greek financial crisis.

Some things worth keeping in mind:

1. Greece invented finance. It was the starting point of currency and “movable” wealth. It was the birthplace of banking, personal loans, securitized lending, real estate loans, credit-based trade, endowment investing, capital levies, interest rate laws, foreign exchange, annuities and many other related innovations that helped to give birth to the modern world.

came across this perspective.

i have often wondered what would happened if a country just gave up and started again. a bit like monopoly when you can't pay the rent cos some flog has built 10 hotels on whitechapel of all fukking places. that's when you hiff the board and all the pieces and storm off.

I hadn't pictured you doing that kind of thing, having a tanty, tipping over the game and storming off. Shocked

But yeah, I think I asked a question here a few years ago about what would happen if a country declared bankruptcy. I can't remember the answer but I guess we're about to find out. Razz

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:50 pm

^ David, Syriza is a populist government, elected by a people maddened by austerity who want to shake their fist at someone. I presume your left-wing friends on newsfeed (whatever that is) are cheering because Syriza wear the right tribal shirt. A lot of what passes for politics is barracking by another name.

None of us are close enough to the fine details of entitlement reforms, debt servicing timing, etc … but the practical consequences of Syriza’s conduct at the moment seem to be frozen cash points, capital controls, and an air of recrimination and mistrust. What follows will almost certainly be either capitulation (via a “Yes” in the referendum) or a chaotic exit from the Euro, limited political reform, and a long investment freeze followed by ultimate re-entry to international capital markets at high rates of interest.

If I were the Left, I’d not be claiming Syriza as a poster-child.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:01 pm

^ But, when you consider the only alternative, Syriza does seem like a breath of fresh air. My expectation is that they will fail miserably and Greece will become a very bad place indeed, but I might be wrong, and with the other mob there was zero, repeat zero chance of a decent outcome for the ordinary people of Greece. Bugger-all chance, in other words, is at least better than no chance. But it's still bugger-all.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:14 pm

^

They'll really need to tip the balance of trade their way, imports are close to double imports in dollar terms, and 80% of the GDP is generated by "services".

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/gr.html

With some strong and creative leadership they have a chance.

Otherwise, could be some cheap real estate for sale in Greece soon enough.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:26 pm

Must be some Idiot in Government in Greece.

To let the Country come this Bad

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:30 pm

I am glad to hear that you are some Idiot in Government in Greece.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:34 pm

Tannin wrote:
^ But, when you consider the only alternative, Syriza does seem like a breath of fresh air. My expectation is that they will fail miserably and Greece will become a very bad place indeed, but I might be wrong, and with the other mob there was zero, repeat zero chance of a decent outcome for the ordinary people of Greece. Bugger-all chance, in other words, is at least better than no chance. But it's still bugger-all.

I guess that depends on whether you think that a better deal (even if it amounts to a more managed collapse) was truly unavailable through a more "professional" approach. There was zero chance of a good outcome, as you said - but even hell has its levels.

Dr Varoufakis is a game theorist. His calculation seems to have been that the EU would yield because it loses big-time (via the ECB) in a default. It's not a daft idea, but it ignores the fact that the EU sees the "loss" in granting Greece debt forgiveness as more than the ECB's haul of Greek govt and bank bonds. It sees the loss as the derogation of rules across the fragile EZ, which has rules where institutions need to be. Germany and other EU members look at this, and say "that way madness lies".

When the game failed, Tsipras and Co seem to have taken to abusing their creditors (eg calling the IMF "a criminal syndicate"). When you need cooperation - and indeed more money - from them, it's a pretty weak strategy. Maybe it's better to go down cursing your enemies ; but I don't think it's especially smart politics. I guess your point is that smart politics weren't working very well either, and I can't argue with that.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:08 pm

An interesting post, MW, thankyou. I was not looking so much at that level, however (I don't follow EU politics in anything like the depth that you do) but on the more fundamental level of "will this government at least try to look after its people, or will they simply try squeezing more blood out of the withered stone?" Yet worse levels of austerity are not the answer. To be honest, I have long since assumed that the only real question about Greek collapse is "when". I can't see Greece reforming fast enough to suit the Eurocrats, and even if it did, I can't see any prospect of getting the debt under control as the country just doesn't have enough income to pay the interest, let alone pay the capital down. So far, the EU had spent a fortune putting off the evil day, but that can't go on forever. Sooner or later, the music has to stop. (At least this is the basis of my reasoning.)

So the only question then becomes, who would I rather have running the place when the currency collapses? The right-wing austerity-mongers won't care if people starve. The left-wing idealists and zealots in power now will care. It's doubtful that they'll be able to do all that much good, but they at least mean well and might be able to do a bit less harm.

I don't say this in any partisan political way. Tactically, as someone who mostly tends to lean more easily to the left than to the right, I should be backing the right to take back power now, coz whoever is in government over the next few years is going to preside over the most almighty shambles and is going to wind up so on the nose with the electorate that they'll have no hope of retaining or regaining power for a very long time once the recovery starts. Unless, of course, Greece reverts to type and we have a military coup. I see that as a real possibility. What will the EU do then? And what will Putin have to say about it?

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:51 pm

^ At the risk of mutual appreciation, Tannin, I liked your post above as well.

Anyway, the news flash is that Tsipras has just sent a letter to the Troika more or less capitulating to all terms (with a few very minor quibbles). The frilled lizard has dropped the fan.

The following quote from the Financial Times, however, says much about Syriza's negative impact on the whole situation :

But a European official cautioned “the question now is not whether Greece agrees to certain measures. It’s the political will to reach a deal among the other eurozone partners. Ad this is very difficult to predict given all the bad will.”
UNQUOTE

(Edited to add the quote above)

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:00 pm

Quote:
GREECE’S Prime Minister Alex Tsipras’ has said he will accept a bailout offer but with several conditions.

Tsipras has written to creditors saying he is ready to accept bailout terms but has insisted on several further conditions, European sources said.

The letter received in Brussels says it accepts most of the terms in an offer that was made public on Sunday by European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, but sources said there were “substantial” changes.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/economy/many-in-the-eurozone-suspect-it-was-pm-alex-tsipras-end-game-to-have-the-country-out-of-the-euro/story-fnkjjout-1227424002872

Get up and fight.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:02 pm

Is that what you think?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:58 pm

Yes, it's far too easy to frame Syriza either way from a distance. No one can seem to put an accurate figure on risks whatever, so it's clearly a guessing game.

The quality of suit on the others side is also no proxy for serious information, especially given the only form guide we have is Troika policy overseeing a ridiculous 25% decline in GDP. That is stunning mismanagement in its own right already, so a reflexive reach for cliches of Leftist mismanagement lack any sense of irony whatsoever. Not to mention balancing world information such as Lula da Silva's recent successful Leftist government in Brazil.

Personally, I don't mind the use of a referendum in that case; if things truly are indiscernible, it can't be a bad thing to get people to put their money where their mouths are. In the longer game it could help focus the attention on the things which matter most to all parties concerned.

Play hard, and admit defeat if you try and fail (a message for you, too, Shorten).

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:03 am

pietillidie wrote:
Troika policy overseeing a ridiculous 25% decline in GDP. That is stunning mismanagement in its own right already, so a reflexive reach for cliches of Leftist mismanagement lack any sense of irony whatsoever.

I'm no fan of the Left, as you know,but i agree that the reflexive Left/Right thing is not necessarily the best lens down which to see this issue. The issue in Greece is corruption, clientelism and mismanagement, which happens in Leftist and in Rightist governments - typically for the Left, it is in overspending (check) and on the Right, it's not collecting sufficient taxes (check).

The proper objection to Syriza, I think, is not whether it's too far Left, it's that it's unprofessional and unpredictable in its conduct and thus making a bad situation worse.

Last edited by Mugwump on Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:04 am

the lazy Greeks only have themselves to blame, they don't pay tax, then retire at 50 and accept lifelong pensions from a Government that borrows billions it cannot afford. typical Greek mentality.

After lying to get into the EU, now they need to be bailed out.

At least the ones that migrate to Melbourne will be forced to work until they are 70 like the rest us. they will sulk about it too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8   

Jump to: