Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

AFP says Islamic extremist affect to last a generation

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:04 am
Post subject: AFP says Islamic extremist affect to last a generationReply with quote

What a conundrum?

Who do I believe the learned lefties on VPT who constantly tell us that the terrorist threat is nothing more than a Tony Abbott beat up or do I believe the AFP's head of the national disruption group?

I know the VPT posters have waxed eloquently about the evil Abbot government and many long winded tirades have been directed at him. I guess the longer the post the more substance it must allegedly have.

What a conundrum, the faceless men or women on VPT or the AFP???

Article from today's Australian.

"Islamic State’s influence in Australia has become so powerful that the threat of terrorism will long outlast the conflict in Syria and Iraq and will remain for at least a generation.

As an apparent campaign of terrorist attacks started with the deaths of at least 66 people in Tunis­ia, France and Kuwait on Friday, senior counter-terrorism officials in Australia are bracing for decades of terror plotting on home soil and are concerned that radicalised young people won’t see jail as a deterrent.

The head of the Australian Federal Police’s national disruption group tasked with stopping people from travelling to the conflict and investigating foreign fighters, Brian McDonald, warns the impact of Islamic State — also known as ISIS — on Australia will be felt regardless of what happens to the group in the near ­future. “My honest opinion is, if Syria and Iraq by some miracle finished tomorrow, the impact for us will still be generational,” Commander McDonald told The Australian.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

MOREThis will get much worse: Dutton
MOREIslam’s time of peace turns deadly
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Even with the flow of Australians travelling to fight in Syria and Iraq starting to slow, Commander McDonald said it was unlikely that there were growing numbers of Islam­ic State sympathisers losing faith in the group.

“You never give up hope, but the threat and the lure, the pull and the push, doesn’t seem to be dimin­ishing,” he said. “Elements of the community are becoming more aware and becoming more supportive in trying to stop it, but I don’t know if that’s going to stem the flow to any great extent.”

For some would-be jihadists, Commander McDonald warned, fear itself was a goal, even if their attacks could not be carried out.

“I think there are some elements of the community that (believe): ‘Even if I try to do something and I get locked up for an extended period of time, even that’s a success — I don’t need for something to go bang, I don’t need to kill someone, I don’t need to cut off the copper’s head.’ Even the fear that puts into the community could be perceived to be a success.”

The warning echoes that by former head of the army Peter Leahy, who told The Australian last August that the country needed to prepare for an increasingly savage, 100-year war against radical Islam. “Australia is involved in the early stages of a war which is likely to last for the rest of the century,” he said at the time. “We must be ready to protect ourselves.”

In response to such warnings, the government is seeking to strip Australian citizenship from all dual nationals fighting for terrorist organisations — a measure recommended by Professor Leahy last year.

And, as revealed by The Weekend Australian on Saturday, it is also considering measures by which citizenship rights of sole Australian nationals could be suspended. It is understood the main consideration is the suspension of the rights of citizens to return, effectiv­ely forcing them to negotiate their way back to Australia.

The government is also funding community programs aimed at “deradicalising” young people attracted to Islamic State but Tony Abbott conceded yesterday after he visited a deradicalisation program at a mosque during a trip to Singapore that “it is early days yet” for Australia’s effort­s in combating Islamist extremism.

The Prime Minister visited the Religious Rehabilitation Group at the Khadijah Mosque, where more than 60 youths have been deradicalised since 2003.

Mr Abbott said Singapore believed “there are appropriate ways of ‘detoxing’ people who have succumbed to the false lure of the death cult and earlier forms of Islamist extremism”. “I was very pleased to see their confidence that it was possible to turn people back from the dreadful abyss because the more people who succumb to that the worse abyss we will all face,” he said.

Mr Abbott, under fire for not pushing the deradicalisation program in Australia faster, said his government had put $40 million towards deradicalisation but “this is pretty early days for us”. He ruled out using some of the stricter disciplines Singapore had used to control Islamic clerics’ sermons and said Australia would deal with the issue “in accordance with our own traditions”. He said security briefings to the government stated the latest terror attacks were influenced by Da’ish — Islamic State’s Arabic acronym — but it was “far from clear they were actually directed by the death cult”.

Tomorrow marks the first anniv­ersary of Islamic State’s proclamation of its so-called caliphate, which security agencies fear may increase the likelihood of an attack. The group has already taken credit for Friday’s brutal slaughter in which a lone gunman, dressed as a holiday-maker, opened fire on Tunisian beachgoers with an assault rifle and killed at least 39 people.

It also claimed credit for an attack on a Kuwaiti mosque in which a suicide bomber killed at least 27 people at Friday prayers in the holy month of Ramadan.

After the creation of the US-led coalition to carry out airstrikes on Islamic State positions last September, the group called for attacks in the West — singling out five countries, including Australia.

Since then, 10 people have been charged over their involvement in alleged terror plots. Melbourne teen Numan Haider was shot dead after attacking two police with a knife last September, and a siege by self-proclaimed sheik Man Haron Monis left two hostages dead in Sydney in December. Monis was also killed when police stormed the building. On Wednesday, a Darwin teenager was arrested after he allegedly compiled a list of people he wanted to behead.

Commander McDonald said the arrests and the foiling of several plots may see some potential terrorists become wary of carrying out a domestic attacks — but that others would carry on regardless.

“You would hope that the reality of some of this would have an impact,” he said.

“If the rhetoric is, ‘If I can’t travel to Syria, then do something in Australia’, you would hope that this … (changes the belief to), ‘It’s just not worth it, I’m going to get locked up and spend the next 25 years in prison, how does that help the cause?’ Will it bring it to a zero level? I don’t think it will.”
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:35 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you mean you ought to be calling for Abbott's head for spending Australian money on helping create a massive terrorist economy and a terrorist recruitment dream in the Middle East. Note this is an idiot who has lost two wars already, so security is clearly one of his weakest suits.

Imagine that: Being such an irresponsible git that you actually shell out money to help your enemy!

Of course you and I are at risk; the only question is if we can find a leader with the intelligence and courage to start reforming the Middle East terrorist economy that Abbott loves and funds with so much passion. I just wish to god he'd have the courage to go and fight with them on the front lines rather than funding and buoying them from remote safety in exchange for poll boosts.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:59 am

The AFP is pig-ignorant if it doesn't know the difference between affect and effect.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:14 am

I think we should simply except what the Pleece sai.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:35 pm

The Fear Campaign is a Vote winner. For the AFP it's a Budget Booster.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:49 pm

will the threat and fear dissipate if we just happen to have a change in government?

i see mr harvey norman has taken out radio ads thanking the government for the recent small business $20k capital investment tax deduction scheme.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:54 pm

Tannin wrote:
The AFP is pig-ignorant if it doesn't know the difference between affect and effect.

they'd hardly be robinson crusoe on that front. whether it's semantics or spelling, add in ...

bought/brought
his/he's
there/their/they're
your/you're
it's/its

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:17 pm

Militant Islamic extremists have been around for decades, and there's no reason to think they'll be going anywhere any time soon. The most important response is to manage the threat sensibly and responsibly and not escalate it unnecessarily. On the latter front, this and the previous Coalition government have a lot to answer for.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:41 pm

John Wren wrote:
Tannin wrote:

they'd hardly be robinson crusoe on that front. whether it's semantics or spelling, add in ...

bought/brought
his/he's
there/their/they're
your/you're
it's/its

To be fair, affect/effect can often be a tough one. The Grammar Girl provides a guide here: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/affect-versus-effect

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:47 pm

i read somewhere about when one should use "affect" and "impact". apparently the latter should be used only when you are describing something that has hit or collided with another object.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:01 pm

Do you mean "effect" and "impact" in this case?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:08 pm

Aside from the obvious noun (an effect)/verb (to affect) distinction, "affect" as a noun narrowly relates to a specific emotional condition within a technical psychology framework, usually accompanied by a valence (positive, neutral, negative, etc.). You will often read of "negative affect", or "inducing an affect" in experimental psych (and presumably predating that you get the adjective "affectatious" in literature).
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:10 pm

Izt grate habbing peeps hoo can reed and rite on thjis bored.
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:15 pm

Tannin wrote:
Do you mean "effect" and "impact" in this case?

i remind you of this, from alice in wonderland:

Quote:

“They were obliged to have him with them,” the Mock Turtle said: “no wise fish would go anywhere without a porpoise.”

“Wouldn’t it really?” said Alice in a tone of great surprise.

“Of course not,” said the Mock Turtle: “why, if a fish came to me, and told me he was going a journey, I should say, ‘With what porpoise?'”

“Don’t you mean ‘purpose’?” said Alice.

i meant affect but must concede i was grappling with whether it was affect or effect. i determined it was the former in the context of "what affect did something have on you" vs "what impact did something have on you".

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:21 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: