Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Drug Addicts getting off Free in Court

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:17 pm
Post subject: Drug Addicts getting off Free in CourtReply with quote

Today a Ice Addict pretty much got off for Punching a Pregnant Women and you keep hearing how Addicts get Light Sentences or get off because they are on Drugs.

No wonder people do Drugs as you can do what you want and just blame there Addiction

WHAT A JOKE

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:39 pm
Post subject: Re: Drug Addicts getting off Free in CourtReply with quote

Dave The Man wrote:
Today a Ice Addict pretty much got off for Punching a Pregnant Women and you keep hearing how Addicts get Light Sentences or get off because they are on Drugs.

No wonder people do Drugs as you can do what you want and just blame there Addiction

WHAT A JOKE

DTM, while the sentence might be considered light can you please not misrepresent the actual judicial sentence.

That is, how much time has the d*ckhead already served as part of his punishment through time being locked away while the case got to court?

What other forms of punishment are part of his sentence?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't find that story, but found this one from today as an interesting counterpoint:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-22/jail-for-man-on-ice-fuelled-rampage-in-alice-springs/6563204

If anything, nearly 5 years jail seems a bit steep, considering his victim only suffered minor injuries. No questioning the dangerousness of what he did, but I'm pretty sure people have gotten shorter sentences for doing worse.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:04 pm

^^^ David, I think this is what DTM is referring to:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/addict-released-after-road-rage-bashing/story-fni0fee2-1227409465249
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:07 pm

And what DTM is referring to httpwww dotheraldsundot comdot aunewslaw-orderaddict-released-after-road-rage-bashingstory-fni0fee2-1227409465249 is ^^^ David he or she think this.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:22 pm

He will be driving today. Start confiscating a few cars. He was already driving unlicensed. It is a shame the poor woman wasn't being followed by her husband because a good smack is just what he needs.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:46 pm

Good lord, the Herald Sun's reporting has gone downhill. So much sneering emotive language in that article (and unanswered questions, which is always the way with the tabloids).

But it is interesting to compare this case with the one I posted. I'm not sure how you could argue that the guy who got jailed committed manifestly worse crimes than this guy.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:54 pm

That sentence should be appealed as manifestly inadequate. Generally an assault like that would get someone years in jail, 9 charges, including assaulting police and he gets off with time served?

I'd be happy if he was incarcerated in a treatment facility rather than jail, but he should spend some time out of the community while he deals with his issues, Ice isn't something you just 'get over'.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:15 am

David wrote:
Good lord, the Herald Sun's reporting has gone downhill. So much sneering emotive language in that article (and unanswered questions, which is always the way with the tabloids).

But it is interesting to compare this case with the one I posted. I'm not sure how you could argue that the guy who got jailed committed manifestly worse crimes than this guy.

Lock em both up

Enforced cold turkey!

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:16 am

Wokko wrote:
That sentence should be appealed as manifestly inadequate. Generally an assault like that would get someone years in jail, 9 charges, including assaulting police and he gets off with time served?

I'd be happy if he was incarcerated in a treatment facility rather than jail, but he should spend some time out of the community while he deals with his issues, Ice isn't something you just 'get over'.

Agree - Dont let him back in the Public. Put him somewhere he cant hurt anyone in the Public

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:28 am

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story and the best way to sensationalise the story is to fire up emotions. At first glance I was bloody annoyed. Now he has been in jail for 231 days so just over seven months. He has a 2 year correction order plus he has to do 150 hours community work.

A Correction Order is (Something the HS leaves out)

Terms and conditions

The purpose of the CCO is to provide an order that fits the offence and your circumstances. Part of the aim is to help you to sort out some of the problems that led to the offending (such as to help with a drug addiction) and to still give you a penalty.

Terms
Every CCO has terms that must be followed. These terms say that:

you must not commit any more offences while the order is in place
you must report to Corrections Victoria within two days of the order being made and must meet with your supervisor regularly after that
you must let Corrections know if you change address
you have to stay in Victoria unless you get permission to leave
you have to comply with any direction that Corrections give you.
All CCOs must also include at least one condition.

Conditions
The magistrate will include one or more of these conditions in your CCO. The orders may include the condition that you:

work up to 600 hours of community service work (up to 20 hours each week)
agree to have treatment for drug or alcohol use
accept supervision or management by Corrections Victoria
stay away from particular person (like someone you committed the offence with)
stay away from a particular place (such as Melbourne city centre)
stay home between particular hours (such as not go out after 11 pm)
stay away from licensed places
go back to court so the magistrate can check your progress
pay a bond
agree to another order that the magistrate thinks will fit your particular circumstances

Now this idiot has to do this for two years, if he screws up he will be doing a fair bit of time.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:00 am

That sounds fair
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:19 am

Culprit wrote:
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story and the best way to sensationalise the story is to fire up emotions. At first glance I was bloody annoyed. Now he has been in jail for 231 days so just over seven months. He has a 2 year correction order plus he has to do 150 hours community work.

A Correction Order is (Something the HS leaves out)

Terms and conditions

The purpose of the CCO is to provide an order that fits the offence and your circumstances. Part of the aim is to help you to sort out some of the problems that led to the offending (such as to help with a drug addiction) and to still give you a penalty.

Terms
Every CCO has terms that must be followed. These terms say that:

you must not commit any more offences while the order is in place
you must report to Corrections Victoria within two days of the order being made and must meet with your supervisor regularly after that
you must let Corrections know if you change address
you have to stay in Victoria unless you get permission to leave
you have to comply with any direction that Corrections give you.
All CCOs must also include at least one condition.

Conditions
The magistrate will include one or more of these conditions in your CCO. The orders may include the condition that you:

work up to 600 hours of community service work (up to 20 hours each week)
agree to have treatment for drug or alcohol use
accept supervision or management by Corrections Victoria
stay away from particular person (like someone you committed the offence with)
stay away from a particular place (such as Melbourne city centre)
stay home between particular hours (such as not go out after 11 pm)
stay away from licensed places
go back to court so the magistrate can check your progress
pay a bond
agree to another order that the magistrate thinks will fit your particular circumstances

Now this idiot has to do this for two years, if he screws up he will be doing a fair bit of time.

Thanks for putting that up Culprit & is why I commented on DTM"s post (title) in the first place.

I still think he should have done a bit more time inside but that's me. Because various governments have cut resources to the courts & "the justice system" the extent to which each individual offender can be monitored / supervised is inadequate these days which impacts on compliance.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:22 am

David wrote:
Good lord, the Herald Sun's reporting has gone downhill. .......

Nope. Par for the Herald Sun news pictorial. "Down hill" assumes the hun was at a higher strating point to begin with.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:44 am

WPT, I agree about doing more time. Jail should be a last resort and this ice addict on the surface should be in jail but he has to conform for two years, reporting regularly which includes drug testing. Now the problem is the jail system we have is already over crowded. Now in the US they went down the path of jailing anyone for anything (3 strikes) and in doing so built a lot of prisons. Now whilst they put all their money into the prison system they neglected schools, hospitals & basic infrastructure just to name a few. Now with no schools they have more juveniles committing crimes than ever before but the ignorant Americans always push the law and order agenda as they are blinded by those in power many of whom have the backing of the private prison system which is massive in the US. No system is perfect but adopting US style policies is just dumb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: