Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 'inner-city left'

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:40 pm
Post subject: The 'inner-city left'Reply with quote

<Split from the 'Abbott to the ABC' thread>

Wokko wrote:
The ABC is certainly leftist, and by that I mean the new inner city trendy left rather than manning the picket line for a pay rise left.

Yeah, I've noticed that the Greens do really well in the middle-class inner-city but don't really give a yelp out in the blue collar outer-northern suburbs. Generally speaking it's probably because the left in the city are more focused on social issues whereas the left in the outer burbs are more focused on economic issues. I also think the inner-city left can be quite bigoted towards working class people and classism is another issue our country really needs to have a national discussion about.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough comment there Dangles, except that you are a bit confused about terms. "Social issues" as you term them are by definition nothing to do with left and right. "Left" means concerned with the breaking down of economic domination and privilege; "right" means in favour of entrenching and extending economic inequality and inherited privilege. The "inner city left" you speak of isn't left at all except insofar as it supports equality of economic opportunity (which is in general peripheral to its main aims, which are not relevant to the left-right distinction).
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:02 pm

Ah yes, the inner city left that everyone hates but knows nothing about. Surely the 37 most powerful people in the country! Apparently, not only do they control national policy and sprinkle dessicated small children on their muesli, they even live in multi-storey dwellings!

Have there been any sightings this week? And since when we're dessicated small children vegan fare?

Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:08 pm

Tannin wrote:
Fair enough comment there Dangles, except that you are a bit confused about terms. "Social issues" as you term them are by definition nothing to do with left and right. "Left" means concerned with the breaking down of economic domination and privilege; "right" means in favour of entrenching and extending economic inequality and inherited privilege. The "inner city left" you speak of isn't left at all except insofar as it supports equality of economic opportunity (which is in general peripheral to its main aims, which are not relevant to the left-right distinction).

So what would you say its main aims are?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:11 pm

pietillidie wrote:
Ah yes, the inner city left that everyone hates but knows nothing about. Surely the 37 most powerful people in the country!

Have there been any sightings this week?

Yes, I saw them having some white burgundy in their fair trade coffee with their pulled pork burgers & boutique beer tut tutting about the unruly unwashed & unkempt lower middle class & working class, lower socio-economic inhabitants who think the local Northlands & Melton shopping Malls are great places for fine dining.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:40 pm

Dangles wrote:
Tannin wrote:

So what would you say its main aims are?

Damn good question! David could probably articulate them better than I can, he's the most-nearly perfect representation of the stereotype on this board, apart from his failure to understand, let alone embrace, modern feminism.

The ICL is a strange mob - though no stranger than various of the other recognisable political groupings - and hard to pin down to a core set of aims or beliefs. It doesn't help that it shares different bits of those core values with a wide variety of other groups, and that they intergrade seamlessly with broader-held values across the community.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:36 pm

Dangles wrote:
Wokko wrote:
The ABC is certainly leftist, and by that I mean the new inner city trendy left rather than manning the picket line for a pay rise left.

Yeah, I've noticed that the Greens do really well in the middle-class inner-city but don't really give a yelp out in the blue collar outer-northern suburbs. Generally speaking it's probably because the left in the city are more focused on social issues whereas the left in the outer burbs are more focused on economic issues. I also think the inner-city left can be quite bigoted towards working class people and classism is another issue our country really needs to have a national discussion about.

These things are shaky abstractions, but if ICL means anything it tends to refer to a type of person we have all met - typically more educated (usually in the humanities), and almost by definition advantaged in terms of opportunities and income. Often reliant on the state for income, or large service-based corporations. They tend to support causes that advance their freedoms and make them feel good about themselves, ideally without any real personal sacrifice. They also do some good, and without them it's hard to see how important issues like Aboriginal rights or feminism would have achieved what they have.

As regards the Q&A episode, any show that knowingly gives a platform for those who offer weaselly semi-coded support for IS has lost the plot. Would it offer a platform for known Nazi sympathisers ? No. I love the ABC, but this says somethign about its mindset, and it got this one badly wrong.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:29 am

Tannin wrote:
"Left" means concerned with the breaking down of economic domination and privilege; "right" means in favour of entrenching and extending economic inequality and inherited privilege.

Interesting definitions. I'd have thought that respectable Right-ish thought is concerned with protecting the free individual against the leviathan state's monopoly of force and confiscation, and the belief that freedom of individual contract within a framework of law is the key driver of progress and wealth, rather than government action.

These may increase economic inequality and inherited privilege, but so, very frequently, does the Left's entrenchment of bureaucratic and political elites. Fortunately neither Right nor Left are absolute in adhering to their beliefs, except perhaps on these pages...

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:58 am

Mugwump wrote:
Tannin wrote:
"Left" means concerned with the breaking down of economic domination and privilege; "right" means in favour of entrenching and extending economic inequality and inherited privilege.

Interesting definitions. I'd have thought that respectable Right-ish thought is concerned with protecting the free individual against the leviathan state's monopoly of force and confiscation, and the belief that freedom of individual contract within a framework of law is the key driver of progress and wealth, rather than government action.

These may increase economic inequality and inherited privilege, but so, very frequently, does the Left's entrenchment of bureaucratic and political elites. Fortunately neither Right nor Left are absolute in adhering to their beliefs, except perhaps on these pages...

Waleed Aly has some very interesting things to say about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1EMa4IWGEM

As for the definition of the inner city leftie, I don't think it's that difficult to define. We're generally talking a social progressive (some might say 'small-l' liberal) who comes from a middle-class background (i.e. the core Greens demographic, but also a fair number of Labor voters, too). I'm not sure I'm an archetype, exactly; most people I know fall into this loose category, but when it comes to discussing politics, we'd probably spend half our time arguing.

All the rest of the stuff about latte-sipping vegan slacktivism etc. is a considerable narrowing of the definition that only really works if you're drawing a caricature. If you wanted to offer a single overarching stereotype, you could just say they're educated people who give a shit about the welfare of others.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:41 am

Mugwump wrote:
Tannin wrote:

Interesting definitions.

I'm not sure why you find them "interesting", particularly as your own description of the core concerns of the right simply restates mine in different terms but to the same ends. The purpose of the state and the rule of law, in this classic conservative view (largely unchanged since about 1500 or so, though the language changes often), is to backstop the appropriation and continued possession of common assets by those who already hold a disproportionate share of those assets at the expense of those who do not. Productive land was an early example: cast your mind back to the enclosure laws as an obvious instance. Much of our current legal system is a direct child of the need (as the right saw it then, and still does) to defend appropriated communal assets on behalf of those who had control of the larger share of them against the community they (or their forbears) appropriated the assets from in the first place. Freedom of individual commercial contract and suppression of broader community rights are, of course, one and the same thing. The right is obsessive about individual contracts because these tend strongly to support the inequality and privilege the right always defends - a contract between grossly unequal parties is the direct opposite of freedom: only by pretending that inequality of bargaining power either does not exist or does not matter can the right defend it, and the right has done exactly that for hundreds of years. State monopoly of force is the means by which these inequalities are defended.

The right tends to split on the way these basic aims are promoted. Some simply proclaim them as if they were holy writ (hi there Wokko), more subtle and intelligent members of the right argue that the obvious injustices do not matter as they are, in the broad scheme of things, outweighed by the (real or imagined) sheer productive efficiency of such an economy. Often this is expressed with aphorism "a rising tide floats all boats".

This second argument is a good one and has much evidence to support it. However it has has limited utility because it only holds true so long as inequality remains relatively modest. As a wealth of evidence demonstrates conclusively, high levels of inequality stagnate economic growth and are inefficient. We are seeing exactly this effect on a global basis right now: over the last 20 years or so, growth in the advanced global economies has slowed and stagnated in lock-step with the huge growth in economic inequality typified by (among others) the Thatcher, Regan, and Howard governments. (The figures on this are really telling, I could probably dig them up if you are interested.)

Secondly, much, perhaps most, of the apparent wealth creation and efficiency is illusory and simply the consequence of faulty accounting which fails to place a value on shared community assets like clean air and our priceless biological heritage. So much of the cost base is externalised (i.e., written out of the accounts) that the presented figures purporting to show great efficiency are a nonsense. Once again, individual "freedom to contract" is a great help to the right here because it helps the pretence that each economic action is something of interest and concern only to the two people most centrally involved in it.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:43 am

Here is some useful background reading.

Quote:
How they must bleed for us. Last year, the world's 100 richest people became $241 billion richer. They are now worth $1.9 trillion.

This is not the result of chance. The rise in the fortunes of the super-rich is the direct result of policies. Here are a few: the reduction of tax rates and tax enforcement; governments' refusal to recoup a decent share of revenues from minerals and land; the privatisation of public assets and the creation of a toll-booth economy; wage liberalisation and the destruction of collective bargaining.

The policies that made the global monarchs so rich are the policies squeezing everyone else. This is not what the theory predicted. Friedrich Hayek, Milton Friedman and their disciples - in a thousand business schools, the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development and just about every modern government - have argued that the less governments tax the rich, defend workers and redistribute wealth, the more prosperous everyone will be. Any attempt to reduce inequality would damage the efficiency of the market, impeding the rising tide that lifts all boats. The apostles have conducted a 30-year global experiment, and the results are in. Total failure.

Before I go on, I should point out that I don't believe perpetual economic growth is either sustainable or desirable. But if growth is your aim - an aim to which every government claims to subscribe - you couldn't make a bigger mess of it than by releasing the super-rich from the constraints of democracy.

Last year's annual report by the UN Conference on Trade and Development should have been an obituary for the neo-liberal model developed by Hayek and Friedman and their disciples. It shows unequivocally that their policies have created the opposite outcomes to those they predicted. As neo-liberal policies (cutting taxes for the rich, privatising state assets, deregulating labour, reducing social security) began to bite from the 1980s onwards, growth rates started to fall and unemployment to rise.

The remarkable growth in the rich nations during the '50s, '60s and '70s was made possible by the destruction of the wealth and power of the elite, as a result of the 1930s Depression and World War II. Their embarrassment gave the other 99 per cent an unprecedented chance to demand redistribution, state spending and social security, all of which stimulated demand.

Neo-liberalism was an attempt to turn back these reforms. Lavishly funded by millionaires, its advocates were amazingly successful - politically. Economically they flopped.

Throughout the OECD countries taxation has become more regressive: the rich pay less, the poor pay more. The result, the neo-liberals claimed, would be that economic efficiency and investment would rise, enriching everyone. The opposite occurred. As taxes on the rich and on business diminished, the spending power of both the state and poorer people fell - and demand contracted. The result was that investment rates declined, in step with companies' expectations of growth.

The neo-liberals also insisted that unrestrained inequality in incomes and flexible wages would reduce unemployment. But throughout the rich world both inequality and unemployment have soared. The recent jump in unemployment in most developed countries - worse than in any previous recession of the past three decades - was preceded by the lowest level of wages as a share of gross domestic product since World War II. Bang goes the theory. It failed for the same obvious reason: low wages suppress demand, which suppresses employment.

As wages stagnated, people supplemented their income with debt. Rising debt fed the deregulated banks, with consequences of which we are all aware. The greater inequality becomes, the UN report finds, the less stable the economy and the lower its rates of growth. The policies with which neo-liberal governments seek to reduce their deficits and stimulate their economies are counterproductive.

''Relearning some old lessons about fairness and participation,'' the UN says, ''is the only way to eventually overcome the crisis and pursue a path of sustainable economic development.''

As I say, I have no dog in this race, except a belief that no one, in this sea of riches, should have to be poor. But staring dumbfounded at the lessons unlearned in Britain, Europe and the US, it strikes me that the entire structure of neo-liberal thought is a fraud. The demands of the ultra-rich have been dressed up as sophisticated economic theory and applied regardless of the outcome. The complete failure of this world-scale experiment is no impediment to its repetition. This has nothing to do with economics. It has everything to do with power.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/neoliberals-economic-policy-just-a-getrichquicker-fraud-20130120-2d13e

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:52 am

[I do so want to get involved in this latter conversation, but let's invite David to move us to another thread before I get blamed for derailing it Very Happy]
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:10 am

Your definition is interesting because it is so highly tendentious. As you frame it, only a monster would support the Right. And once you start thinking like that youre losing a part of the truth.

You make plutocracy a creation of the Right (and you seem to regard the Right as simply neo-liberalism). I disagree. I think Thatcher, Reagan etc were soap bubbles on the surface of globalisation, which is about technology, not ideology. If you want to reduce plutocracy, youll need a theory (preferably politically viable) of how to manage inequality in an age of globalisation.

I agree that excessive concentration of capital which we probably have now - impairs consumer markets and causes capital to chase unproductive assets in the hope of asset inflation. Its a big problem. But it is only a creature of the Right if you start with your somewhat circular definition. I should add that globalisation has actually decreased inequality, looked at on a world scale, but I assume we are talking about national politics here.

Given the above, since the the modern Left can't get at the plutocrats, increasingly it just whacks middle incomes to support a government which has its own provider interest. Earn $80,000 equivalent in the UK and you work half the next week for the government. However, the (underlying) tax rate of 50%+ on relatively modest incomes is not busting inequality as you expect, because governments overstretch.

Most modern problems give rise to the cry "what is the government doing about it? . Followed by a minister quoting stats on rising spending that is not making much difference. Thats what happens when an economic agent is so remote from the payer and receiver, and when the payer and receiver are separate entities. Since Im an economist, I could insert a whole bunch of stuff about producer and consumer surplus here, but Ill spare both of us. If the government did much less, and was more demanding of some of its dependants, I think it might make more inroads into real inequality. But it might have to upset many on the Left to do so.

Freedom of individual commercial contract and suppression of broader community rights are, of course, one and the same thing. Youd need to explain to me why the communitys rights are suppressed when I sell my labour for goods in a free exchange, unless you believe that the state, as a representative of the commons, owns everything including my labour and my body - on behalf of everyone. History has given us some tragic lessons in where that leads. I must be misunderstanding you.

Id say the state provides facility which makes it possible for us to earn a living and to live in a pleasant society including managed inequality. It has a perfect right to taxes commensurate with that. After that, it is starting to own things to which it has no right. The job of the political Right is to keep scrutinising that on behalf of a free man or woman. It's also, increasingly, the job of the Right to fix the fiscal overstretch (deficits and debt) so beloved of Leftward governments- a profligacy that usually makes inequality worse, eventually.

As to the question of negative externalities (air and water contamination etc), then theres a wide body of economic theory which agrees, Right and Left, that the costs of production should be reflected in the price of the good, and that this is a role for government. You dont need to be on the Left to believe that.

Enough ! I won't post any more on this as this is already too long. You can have the last word.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:20 pm

I would've thought the free market should reflect the price of someone's labour/goods produced by said labour. Anyway, probably best not to provoke Nick's Comintern. Laughing

As for this government and free speech, remember there is a cadre of libertarian/free speech types in the Liberal Party but is a self described "broad church" and the totalitarians won that argument when the 18c amendments got dropped. Seem those types are still well in control of the party at the moment (see: Internet Filter).
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:35 pm

Wokko wrote:
I would've thought the free market should reflect the price of someone's labour/goods produced by said labour.

And the laws of Moses should reflect the perfection of Yahweh, but instead they make him look suspiciously like a petty, arbitrary thug!

Pricing is a game of agreement where no one really knows what the agreement was or when it's up for renegotiation. It has the illusion of a natural physics due to its complexity, but in fact it gets much of its shape from the gravitational pull of the major bodies in its orbit. Even worse, its experiments can never be replicated, and it is subject to massive observer effects such that the closer you get to grasping it, the further it slips away.

Everywhere you care to look there are curvatures and frictions and black holes. The invisible hand is a farce because it's actually invisible hands, plural, pulling in all kinds of directions.

Honestly, macrame is more of a science. Any sense of predictability in economics is an artifact of the stability of power arrangements which create an illusion of coherence. In fact, microeconomic behaviour doesn't scale according to any known calculation, but rather the space of transactions gets curved by large bodies in our society for something like a 7% return in the long run, or whatever it is.

Any effort to create a feel-good rationale for that curvature is just classical after-the-fact rationalisation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: