Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Abbott to the ABC: "Whose side are you on?"

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Well-said WPT and spot on in every respect!
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:53 pm

swoop42 wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
The producers of Q & A handed The Mad Misogynist Monk a free kick.

......... Rolling Eyes

Now the fear mongering liar (no cuts to the ABC) that is the outraged f*cker, the Mad Misogynist Monk wants an inquiry

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/qa-tony-abbott-says-heads-should-roll-over-zaky-mallah-episode-orders-inquiry-20150625-ghxeti.html

Soap opera writ large. This is from the same buffoon who gives away ASIO secrets FFS

Heads should roll. Laughing

Was that a subheading or a beheading?

Laughing Laughing

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:01 pm

Jezza wrote:

I happened to watch Q & A last Monday - I usually can't stand it but it caught my eye. I'm usually too frustrated with sound bites & pre prepared questions.

Funny how where you sit is what you see, the Rashomon effect

https://www.google.com.au/#q=rashomon+effect

I think the show is too conservative by half & usually the best ones are when there are no pollies whatsoever. What gets up my nose is not just my finger or cocaine but asking an actor or a pop star what their political opinion is. FFS.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:04 pm

More Censorship from the Government
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:10 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Jezza wrote:

I happened to watch Q & A last Monday - I usually can't stand it but it caught my eye. I'm usually too frustrated with sound bites & pre prepared questions.

Funny how where you sit is what you see, the Rashomon effect

https://www.google.com.au/#q=rashomon+effect

I think the show is too conservative by half & usually the best ones are when there are no pollies whatsoever. What gets up my nose is not just my finger or cocaine but asking an actor or a pop star what their political opinion is. FFS.

I don't regard it as being a conservative-leaning show overall but there's been instances where the show has cut off opinions or statements made by the audience such as Mallah on Monday and university students openly protesting against the deregulation of universities during the Federal Budget period in May last year. Now I may have disliked both people but they were entitled to voice their opinions freely.

I guess our opinions on Q&A are relative and the Rashomon effect that you mentioned in your post is very much relevant to viewers who hold preconceived opinions on issues related to politics and hence judge Q&A based on their own standards.

Having politicians on the show is pointless because they tow the company-line and it's very predictable how they're going to respond to politically-related questions. Having credible and respected academics on both sides of politics generates far more interesting discussion and debate.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:57 pm

watt price tully wrote:
What gets up my nose is ... asking an actor or a pop star what their political opinion is.

What gets up my nose is asking a politician what their political opinion is.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:57 pm

Abbott was at his best today when he announced that "heads must roll" for the decision to allow the Zaki Mallak on Q&A.
This struck me as some-what inconsistent/ironic because according to Abbott "beheadings" are one of main reasons we are at war with ISIS in the first place.

Last edited by 3.14159 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:21 pm

The ABC need to respond to Abbott's bullying by getting 3RRR's Tony Biggs on the panel.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:41 pm

watt price tully wrote:
. What gets up my nose is not just my finger or cocaine but asking an actor or a pop star what their political opinion is. FFS.

Actors in particular are as entitled to an opinion just like anyone else, but what they often fail to realise is that their opinion isn't worth more because they have fame or money.

Paul Hogan had a great line about Actors, just adults doing what little kids do every day, play make believe.

More celebrities need to realise their limitations. Stick to looking good/actoring/ making music and /or marketing yourself doing any/all of these activities and spare us your "wisdom"

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:13 pm

If one was take what Abbott said at face value, in today's media he was calling for the violent and barbaric death of an Australia Government employee/s and citizens for what was in his opinion political error of judgement.
failing to follow the teachings of the holy scaremonger one presumes.

Under his soon to be introduced Anti-Terror laws he should tried for terrorism/deemed a Terrorist, have his dual citizenship revoked and sent back to his country of origin.
You do the crime, you do the time!

stui magpie wrote:

Actors in particular are as entitled to an opinion just like anyone else, but what they often fail to realise is that their opinion isn't worth more because they have fame or money.

Arnold schwarzenegger
Ronald reagan
...etc, etc.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:46 pm

3.14159 wrote:
If one was take what Abbott said at face value, in today's media he was calling for the violent and barbaric death of an Australia Government employee/s and citizens for what was in his opinion political error of judgement.
failing to follow the teachings of the holy scaremonger one presumes.

Under his soon to be introduced Anti-Terror laws he should tried for terrorism(deemed a Terrorist, have his dual citizenship revoked and sent back to his country of origin.
You do the crime, you pay the fine!

stui magpie wrote:

Arnold schwarzenegger
Ronald reagan

...etc, etc.

Both became politicians. So what? Doesn't mean they suddenly grew brains, just means they got elected.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:50 pm

This joke of a P.M is so lost his hate filled rhetoric he's starting to emulate the same people he is currently vilifying. Rolling Eyes
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-25/heads-should-roll-at-abc-says-tony-abbott/6572688
stui magpie wrote:

Both became politicians. So what? Doesn't mean they suddenly grew brains, just means they got elected.

Believe it or not, I was agreeing with you.

A failed priest and failed journalist accidently* getting elected P.M doesn't mean he suddenly grew a brain either!

*Hockey's ppl hated Turnbull, Turnbull's ppl hated Hockey, result?
Abbott became opposition leader at a time when the ALP was tearing it'self apart.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:28 am

I haven't been following this closely, but the distinction made by someone in the press today from the ABC (in an Aged headline) was spot on: The ABC is a public broadcaster, not a state broadcaster.

Honestly, the notion that state control is a Leftist proposition needs to be put to bed once and for all and for all time. No, no, no! It's a core part of human psychiatry. Claiming otherwise is the flat earth belief of our day, and it's sustaining no end of stupidity. Large-scale control of anything and everything to their own benefit is what those with unchecked power want. It doesn't matter if it's a monarchy, chiefdom, smaller state with more anti-competitive corporate contracts, larger state when bailouts, military force and technology are needed, feudal realm, imperial colony, corporation or church luncheon committee. Different form, same stink!

As I say, the laughable tales people continually tell themselves to feel special; the pretense of thinking if you put a suit on and shave you're suddenly in it for Jesus.

Rolling Eyes

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:52 am

pietillidie wrote:
As I say, the laughable tales people continually tell themselves to feel special; the pretense of thinking if you put a suit on and shave you're suddenly in it for Jesus.

But only if you wear a blue tie.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:11 am

The upshot of all this nonsense is that it has provoked some terrific journalism a lot of which has already been posted, but this piece by Guy Rundle is one of my favourites:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2015/06/24/rundle-the-paralysing-fear-of-zaky-mallahs-hat/

Quote:
The paralysing fear of Zaky Mallah's hat
Guy Rundle

Whether it was wise for Q&A to give an audience question slot to a man convicted of threatening ASIO officers remains to be seen  though you have to admire Zaky Mallahs choice of a cap featuring a gold-plated cannabis leaf for his appearance (the show would be improved if all panelists had to wear such a hat). Given the determination of the right to shut down a forum it doesnt control, a bit of circumspection might have been in order.

The national security response was to be expected. It would be too much to hope that Tony Abbott would reaffirm a pluralist media sphere, and instead he marshaled a bit of soft totalitarianism by asking the ABC Whose side are you on?, before as many flags as could be squeezed into shot.

But what was very strange, and very typical, was the response beyond the national security nonsense: the discourse of safety and risk. Thus Malcolm Turnbull  seen by some, inexplicably, as a bastion of genuine liberalism  claimed that Q&A had put the audience at risk and that the Australian Federal Police should be invited to vet the audience.

Fear is a pretty dependable reactionary strategy  and one in particular need with the government still tanking in the polls  but even so, it seems only in Australia that a government minister could say with a straight face that a TV audience might be at risk from mere proximity to someone whose propensity for violence amounts to making threats and being something of a jerk.

Turnbulls comment joins to the obsessive, embracing fear that has been marshaled for months over the issue of jihadis, citizenship, homegrown terrorists, etc, etc. Doubtless theres a small number of men who need to be kept an eye on, but the issue has expanded out of all proportion to the real risk. This is beyond even the capacity of the Coalition to keep it going. In Australia such fear has become autonomous, free-floating, just keeps rolling on. We are the commonwealth of fear, whether its halal food, wind farm infrasound, vaccination, or god knows what else. And the most despicable thing that the right does at the moment is to feed such fear at every opportunity.

It should be obvious, in that respect, that the citizenship issue has now detached from anything resembling policy directed towards public safety. The issue has become ritualised, a ceremonial passage to preserve a sense of purity  if we talk about it enough, we ward off the sense that a world of chaos and danger is out there.

The removal of citizenship dance thus serves the purpose of addressing a more general sense of fear and vulnerability in the community, a product of Australias recent history  a society without much by way of cultural grounding that went, in about 40 years, from solidarity of a sort to a very atomised and isolating place. In such conditions, fear becomes a mode of self- and cultural expression, a language in which we are all fluent. Cultures that retain a solidarity greet risk with resilience. Thus, when al-Qaeda hit Spain with four bombs on trains in Madrid, the Spanish responded as they had to ETA Basque separatist terrorism: getting out on the streets in their millions to protest against both the presumption of terror to use the innocent and the presumption of governments to use the resultant terror to mobilise a politics of fear.

Should we have a violent political incident here  something as likely to come from the swampland areas around Reclaim Australia as from violent Islamists  Im not sure we would rise to that level of solidarity and resilience. Right-wing terror would initially be treated as a mere criminal or insane act, rather than a political one. Islamist terror would prompt a state hysteria raised to the level of policy. From one end wed get laws demanding, I dunno, face-recognition CCTV systems in all public places, as a commitment to our safety. From the other end, itd be Beyondblue asking us if we felt affected by any of these issues. No coincidence that that organisation, too, is run by a Liberal who has never really understood what liberalism is, or what it relies on: a belief in the autonomous individual, and a rejection of the notion that safety and order are ultimate good ends, for which any other good ends  genuine liberty  can be sacrificed.

Labor lacks the courage to attack this presumption head-on  a decision it may later regret. The current strategy of accepting the Liberals narrative but quibbling about the detail seems to be a reprise of the 2001 Tampa/refugees strategy, hoping that the public will somehow reward them for being a loyal opposition. Is that a thought-out strategy or a natural timidity, part-promoted by wanting to avoid shame? Either wave everything through or oppose this junk in the name of a liberal and pluralist society, surely.

The Greens also remained limited to a degree in what they can say. Its hard to attack a narrative of national safety and security when you support 18c-type laws and retain an enthusiasm for social-behavioural coercive measures (trying to ban vaping, for example). And as weve seen with Senator David Leyonhjelm, so-called libertarians will be as statist as anyone when they want to score political points and build a constituency.

But more than ever here, simple arguments for the importance of an autonomous, pluralist, robust and unfearful public sphere are necessary. When one of our leading pseudo-liberals thinks that one loudmouth in a gangsta hat is sufficient cause to have the cops vet studio audiences, we are in deep trouble indeed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: