Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Suddenly Buckley can coach! You guys make me laugh!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:34 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ yep, absolutely. He'd get any vacancy going. We are lucky to have him now, as we have been lucky to have him since the day he walked in the door. You only have to listen to him to know that he's a champion and a born leader. It took a while to settle into place, but iit's clear he can coach a game and inspire his boys. I think he'll be the Pies coach for as long as he wants it. Re-sign him now on any reasonable terms.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:15 am

Jezza wrote:
No I never said that, that's what some Port Adelaide fans have suggested (obviously the impatient ones at the very least) but I do believe they have a point about re-signing a coach too soon though.

As I said in my last post on this thread I would be satisfied to see Bucks re-sign now but I'm also keeping an open-mind to the fact that re-signing a coach prematurely can be a risk and sometimes it's best to hold out for a little while longer.

There's no right or wrong in how the club will approach this but obviously Pert and the board have been satisfied with Buckley's performance to date especially after the improvement we've witnessed this year hence these discussions are already being raised now.

Satisfaction with Bucks wouldn't just be based on improvement this year as perceived externally, it would also consider his performance over the last couple of seasons and how he has managed some very difficult circumstances while continuing the development of a very young list. Just because a few supporters were baying for blood doesn't mean that the club wasn't completely behind him through 2013-14.

Extending his coaching contract carries nothing more than financial risk for the club. As we've seen with MM, these contracts aren't worth the toilet paper they're written on if the club (or coach for that matter) decides to terminate. Getting it done over the off season defuses any heat that may come through next season, either real or imagined, and allows the focus to remain fairly and squarely with the football as it should.

Whole story is nothing but positive for the Collingwood FC.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:16 am

Hard to disagree with you Jackcass. Quality post by you as well as QldMagpie.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:22 pm

jackcass wrote:
Jezza wrote:
No I never said that, that's what some Port Adelaide fans have suggested (obviously the impatient ones at the very least) but I do believe they have a point about re-signing a coach too soon though.

As I said in my last post on this thread I would be satisfied to see Bucks re-sign now but I'm also keeping an open-mind to the fact that re-signing a coach prematurely can be a risk and sometimes it's best to hold out for a little while longer.

There's no right or wrong in how the club will approach this but obviously Pert and the board have been satisfied with Buckley's performance to date especially after the improvement we've witnessed this year hence these discussions are already being raised now.

Satisfaction with Bucks wouldn't just be based on improvement this year as perceived externally, it would also consider his performance over the last couple of seasons and how he has managed some very difficult circumstances while continuing the development of a very young list. Just because a few supporters were baying for blood doesn't mean that the club wasn't completely behind him through 2013-14.

Extending his coaching contract carries nothing more than financial risk for the club. As we've seen with MM, these contracts aren't worth the toilet paper they're written on if the club (or coach for that matter) decides to terminate. Getting it done over the off season defuses any heat that may come through next season, either real or imagined, and allows the focus to remain fairly and squarely with the football as it should.

Whole story is nothing but positive for the Collingwood FC.

100% correct Jack the way he handled the departures of senior players and his determination to fulfil what he perceived as weaknesses among the group has been first rate.
I said ages ago about Bucks his single mindedness as a player could either be his biggest strength or weakness as a coach.
As it stands know it is proving to be a strength.
I agree it will happen in the off season with no real fanfare it will just be about business and getting another box ticked for the long term vision of the club.
Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:01 pm

Handpass seemed to work a treat in the wet last night... Smh. Regardless of the gameplan, its extremely difficult for the 22 players when the coach is so inept at the selection table. Talk about trying to win a game with one hand tied behind your back. Witts and grundy might work well in 2 years (by then mason cox will be dominate anyway) but to keep playing together to the deteriment of our run and carry gameplan is quite simply one of the most stupid coaching decisions I've ever seen. We should have easily belted port by 6 goals. I must say to see Buckley smashing phones in the coaches box when players made mistakes (trying to implement his gameplan) was quite strange considering the worst decision of the night was made by him before the game even started.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:16 am

how things can change quite quickly.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:32 am

Things don't change that quickly, JW - all that has happened is that the usual suspects who had taken temporary shelter under their rocks feel emboldened to sneak out into the sunlight.

It is worth bearing in mind that there were calls for Hardwick's sacking earlier this year and that, this time last year, some on this board were bemoaning the fact that Collingwood hadn't recruited the great Ken Hinkley, whose team was obviously on the verge of a decade of dominance.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:34 am

John Wren wrote:

Even more predictable is the response from the Stepford wives.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:40 am

You don't get to have a say - you call "game over" every week when Collingwood doesn't kick the first 8 goals of the game. Your views have no credibility at all.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:43 am

What'sinaname wrote:
John Wren wrote:

Even more predictable is the response from the Stepford wives.

That is funny.
Can we get a picture please?

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:49 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Things don't change that quickly, JW - all that has happened is that the usual suspects who had taken temporary shelter under their rocks feel emboldened to sneak out into the sunlight.

It is worth bearing in mind that there were calls for Hardwick's sacking earlier this year and that, this time last year, some on this board were bemoaning the fact that Collingwood hadn't recruited the great Ken Hinkley, whose team was obviously on the verge of a decade of dominance.

whilst there are instances where things do change quickly in footy, this is not one of them. there was an element of facetiousness in my comment to point out the folly of those who choose to condemn buckley, many of those who flip flop with their opinion depending on whether there is a w or l after each game. then, of course, there are those whom you described above who simply cannot wait for the team and coach to fail so they tell us how right they have been.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:59 am

As one who called for Buckley to be sacked last year, he's coaching brilliantly this year. Six losses in a row doesn't change anything. All the great coaches have had strings of losses. Buckley is having his very early on because of a very brave decision to totally turn over a premiership team which had little depth, due to decisions post 2008 to draft mature age recruits to win us a flag. That strategy worked brilliantly in 2010 and 2011 (the one that got away), but couldn't be sustained beyond 2011 without bottom dipping into the draft.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:27 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
As one who called for Buckley to be sacked last year, he's coaching brilliantly this year. Six losses in a row doesn't change anything. All the great coaches have had strings of losses. Buckley is having his very early on because of a very brave decision to totally turn over a premiership team which had little depth, due to decisions post 2008 to draft mature age recruits to win us a flag. That strategy worked brilliantly in 2010 and 2011 (the one that got away), but couldn't be sustained beyond 2011 without bottom dipping into the draft.

what about 7 in a row….8….9 perhaps.

At what point do you give up on the man who really hasn't proven anything yet. He's won just 1 finals game and has 4 successive years or worsen ladder position.
ThePieMind 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:40 pm

@whatsinaname
How about you do some analysis for a change - and prove why ladder position is the result of specific underlying problems with Bucks.
Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:17 pm

ThePieMind wrote:
@whatsinaname
How about you do some analysis for a change - and prove why ladder position is the result of specific underlying problems with Bucks.

I don't necessarily look at win loss ratio to decide whether a coach is good or not. Though its a results based industry, I look at or analyse the gameplan and selections more so.

For 3 years i've seen opposition kick coast to coast goals from points or just from loose ball gets in back pocket. Nothing in our gameplan strategy has been implemented to stop this. Melbourne did it with ease yesteerday. Thats something Buckley has to address.

Stoppage set ups inside defensive 50 are appauling, and have been for 3 years.

Handpassing just for the sake of it to flat footed players that are under pressure to try and create run. This has increased 10 fold since end of 2013 season. 187 handpasses yesterday. It was amatuer hour. Just like the 1st half of north game. When we kick more we look more dangerous. Buckley's gameplan again.

Selections. Witts and Grundy doesnt work. But he persists. Dropping white? Dumb decision. Going tall vs port in a down pour. Dumb. When I saw white was dropped on Thursday I knew we'd lose yesterday.

Before this season started I wanted to see improvement in defending coast to coast goals, stoppages inside defensive 50, better/smarter use of handpassing and better selections from match committee/coaching staff.

After 18 rounds I haven't seen any improvement in either 4 of those performance indicators. But I guess its just far to harsh of me to hold the head coach accountable for this... It must be Lappin's fault... Oh yeah and dont get me started on forward set up...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7   

Jump to: