Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Suddenly Buckley can coach! You guys make me laugh!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:54 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2015-07-04/buckley-the-license-to-be-great

Just watch and listen. Buckley has matured as a Coach and is coming of age and the team along with him.
Museman 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:42 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
Ok lets ignore the basic defensive errors and structure/game plan and stick to, its the execution of the players thats at fault... Lets say we kick the goals. Are you saying hawks wouldn't have stood up at the centre bounce and answered?

With better defensive pressure inside def 50 and structural decisions (Ben Hart) in 2nd qtr, as well as kicking the ball once in a while outta def 50, we go in to half time 3 goals up. Watch the tape. I mean Langdon gets a free. Holding the ball. 15 out. He runs off the line and hand passes??? Puts everyone under pressure. Turnover on centre wing and a hawks goal. There were 2 other times where defence had a chance to use a clearing kick. They handpassed. It rebounded and hawks goal. Thats a mindset and defensive coaching.

The fwd line was woeful and it was lappins fault. The backline makes ordinary decisions but its never Ben Harts fault???

Wow! So it's not just Collingwood getting it wrong according to you, but it's the game plans of all 18 clubs who all try to execute exactly the same type of plays. Becoming clearer by your every post. Thanks for enlightening us.

I don't follow you? There arn't 17 other clubs using the exactly same gameplan if that's what you are implying. I don't see other good teams make the same basic defensive errors over the past 3 years that we do.

GWS move it from back pocket in a very different way than we do. They go to flanks then hit the corner of centre square. From there they run and gun up the corridor. Completely different style to how we play. But i guess you already knew that. I watch plenty of footy. I saw how disfunctional our fwd line was for years (but that was all lappins fault).. I've seen how disfunctional our def one on one and at stoppages (but thats not harts faults???)..

Yes you need to handpass at times out of defence, but you need to kick it once in a while too (im not talking about 65 metre torps to packs like its 1972). We chipped it around in the 3rd at times quite well. Our balance is not good enough when we are put under pressure. When teams pressure our def we handpass to much. Some times it works. Most often it doesnt. Nothing wrong with a short kick to a bloke 20 metres away to take the pressure off and regroup. We just haven't got the balance right.

It's interesting debate Krak but what has been the Hawks success been built on?
Watch the game again and tell me in the 3rd when they were under the pump from our continual forward entries what they did coming out of defence ? A string of 9 short quick hand passes until someone got clear then they went bang into the middle. Next time 5 hand passes a quick switch by the free man and bang goal again.
They control the ball by hand and work for each other. The difference between us and them is around 100+ games per player on ave I would suspect.
I understand your sentiments on defensive mindset but I think there's more too it.
I think bucks wants to use the short quick hand ball to find a Oxley or Langdon free and then use there foot skills to penetrate
Watching how Cloke is up on the wing or nearing the defensive 50 so often giving his team mates a option and time to get running forward shows bucks wants out attack to start deep and be a full ground effort.
Our skills are the weak point at the present but are far better than 12 months ago

Hawthorns success was not EVER built on handball....Geelongs yes, Hawthorns no! precise short kicking so you couldn't harass the ball carrier allowing him time to pick his target out of any number of the now 15 or so bolting forward out of their backline, they still roll zone they still rely on you turning it over because their FLOOD has filled your forward line to the brim, they will handball because they understand that apart from defensively you cannot be so 1 dimensional, Krack is spot on we essentially lack plan B in the situation, I don't mind where we are heading but as you point out we currently don't have the skills, we should have a B plan, even if we become elite in our A plan we should always have a B plan, our coaching is lacking in this area.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:01 pm

Museman wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
Ok lets ignore the basic defensive errors and structure/game plan and stick to, its the execution of the players thats at fault... Lets say we kick the goals. Are you saying hawks wouldn't have stood up at the centre bounce and answered?

With better defensive pressure inside def 50 and structural decisions (Ben Hart) in 2nd qtr, as well as kicking the ball once in a while outta def 50, we go in to half time 3 goals up. Watch the tape. I mean Langdon gets a free. Holding the ball. 15 out. He runs off the line and hand passes??? Puts everyone under pressure. Turnover on centre wing and a hawks goal. There were 2 other times where defence had a chance to use a clearing kick. They handpassed. It rebounded and hawks goal. Thats a mindset and defensive coaching.

The fwd line was woeful and it was lappins fault. The backline makes ordinary decisions but its never Ben Harts fault???

Wow! So it's not just Collingwood getting it wrong according to you, but it's the game plans of all 18 clubs who all try to execute exactly the same type of plays. Becoming clearer by your every post. Thanks for enlightening us.

I don't follow you? There arn't 17 other clubs using the exactly same gameplan if that's what you are implying. I don't see other good teams make the same basic defensive errors over the past 3 years that we do.

GWS move it from back pocket in a very different way than we do. They go to flanks then hit the corner of centre square. From there they run and gun up the corridor. Completely different style to how we play. But i guess you already knew that. I watch plenty of footy. I saw how disfunctional our fwd line was for years (but that was all lappins fault).. I've seen how disfunctional our def one on one and at stoppages (but thats not harts faults???)..

Yes you need to handpass at times out of defence, but you need to kick it once in a while too (im not talking about 65 metre torps to packs like its 1972). We chipped it around in the 3rd at times quite well. Our balance is not good enough when we are put under pressure. When teams pressure our def we handpass to much. Some times it works. Most often it doesnt. Nothing wrong with a short kick to a bloke 20 metres away to take the pressure off and regroup. We just haven't got the balance right.

Watch the game again and tell me in the 3rd when they were under the pump from our continual forward entries what they did coming out of defence ? A string of 9 short quick hand passes until someone got clear then they went bang into the middle. Next time 5 hand passes a quick switch by the free man and bang goal again.
They control the ball by hand and work for each other. The difference between us and them is around 100+ games per player on ave I would suspect.
I understand your sentiments on defensive mindset but I think there's more too it.
I think bucks wants to use the short quick hand ball to find a Oxley or Langdon free and then use there foot skills to penetrate
Watching how Cloke is up on the wing or nearing the defensive 50 so often giving his team mates a option and time to get running forward shows bucks wants out attack to start deep and be a full ground effort.
Our skills are the weak point at the present but are far better than 12 months ago

Hawthorns success was not EVER built on handball....Geelongs yes, Hawthorns no! precise short kicking so you couldn't harass the ball carrier allowing him time to pick his target out of any number of the now 15 or so bolting forward out of their backline, they still roll zone they still rely on you turning it over because their FLOOD has filled your forward line to the brim, they will handball because they understand that apart from defensively you cannot be so 1 dimensional, Krack is spot on we essentially lack plan B in the situation, I don't mind where we are heading but as you point out we currently don't have the skills, we should have a B plan, even if we become elite in our A plan we should always have a B plan, our coaching is lacking in this area.

Its easy to get caught up in ''game plans ''. Clubs devise their game plan around what they have to work with at the time and that evolves as your list changes. Anyway, what works one year is picked apart by the opposition the next.
One winning formula hasn't changed in 20 years -

winning contested ball + winning tackles + winning disposal efficiency = winning 96.1 % of your games. We are currently ranked 15th in disposal efficiency. The reason why we lose against the best is pretty simple.

You can just about guarantee our focus at the trade table will be on skill and class. The grunt is already there.
Museman 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:49 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Museman wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:

Its easy to get caught up in ''game plans ''. Clubs devise their game plan around what they have to work with at the time and that evolves as your list changes. Anyway, what works one year is picked apart by the opposition the next.

winning contested ball + winning tackles + winning disposal efficiency = winning 96.1 % of your games. We are currently ranked 15th in disposal efficiency. The reason why we lose against the best is pretty simple.

You can just about guarantee our focus at the trade table will be on skill and class. The grunt is already there.

This is where I think people get it all wrong, stats in isolation or without relevant correlating stats mean not to much either....

Contested possession and disp eff will be quite poor compared to uncontested possession and disposal eff, and this comes down to system (GP) and decision making within the said plan or as it should be Plans...

Making the right decision at the right time is EVERYTHING, game plans can aid or hinder this...

Playing outside at stoppages gives you more decision time than contested ball at the heart of a stoppage gives you, how you setup at stoppage is GP related and thus makes a difference.

The list goes on, how you get players off the chain is GP related, kicking to a 1 on 1 v kicking to a 1 on 0 alters disposal eff once again GP related.

People get caught up in it because coaches have made it everything, and it only stems from the old adage that a champion team will beat a team of champions 9 times out of 10.

Even Maxy on the radio then pointed out that we sent to many to the ball carrier and no enough balance in sending at least 1 to the receiver.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:56 pm

Museman wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
Museman wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:

This is where I think people get it all wrong, stats in isolation or without relevant correlating stats mean not to much either....

Contested possession and disp eff will be quite poor compared to uncontested possession and disposal eff, and this comes down to system (GP) and decision making within the said plan or as it should be Plans...

Making the right decision at the right time is EVERYTHING, game plans can aid or hinder this...

Playing outside at stoppages gives you more decision time than contested ball at the heart of a stoppage gives you, how you setup at stoppage is GP related and thus makes a difference.

The list goes on, how you get players off the chain is GP related, kicking to a 1 on 1 v kicking to a 1 on 0 alters disposal eff once again GP related.

People get caught up in it because coaches have made it everything, and it only stems from the old adage that a champion team will beat a team of champions 9 times out of 10.

Even Maxy on the radio then pointed out that we sent to many to the ball carrier and no enough balance in sending at least 1 to the receiver.

And its a conversation I could easily have over a beer.

We have had '' play on at all costs '', extra man back, flooding, full press, rolling zones, +1s, grids and now some spider web thingy.

My point is that game plans change ''' regularly '' over time simply because all of a sudden, what worked yesterday, doesn't work tomorrow. Of course everyone plays to a game plan but how do you execute it successfully without the required pressure and disposal efficiency. That formula simply hasn't changed in many years, while the game plans have.
I certainly agree, you cant have players running around like headless chooks either. Its a balancing act but if you think stats aren't important, why do most coaches hold the KPIs up on the whiteboard at every qtr time address. Just wish I had the stats to back my opinion up Wink
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:20 pm

Krakouer Magic wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:

Every team will use handball to orchestrate a player in space irrespective of their game plan. Otherwise your ball movement is based on a succession of Hail Mary disposals and good teams will murder you on those. You're attacking the coaches based purely on your perception that use of bad handball options or execution is what the game plan requires. It has nothing to do with the game plan and everything to do with a lack of composure which should be expected in such a young group.

Brown -26 years, 105 games
Toovey - 28, 142
Langdon - 21, 32
Frost - 23, 37
Williams - 21, 50
Maynard - 18, 1

You mentioned How good Sydney are by comparison in an earlier post. Chalk and cheese in term of age/experience profile.

Shaw - 33, 226
Ländler - 25, 58
Rampe - 25, 61
Richards - 32, 224
Smith - 27, 133
Grundy - 29, 176

Name me the clubs (outside the expansion clubs) who have a younger back 6 than us. Yet we (prior to this round) were the 5th best performed defense. Clearly Hart has to go!
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:39 am

a contract extension is a lay down.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/nathan-buckleys-contract-will-be-extended-as-soon-as-possible-ceo-gary-pert-says/story-fnp04d70-1227428573713

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:07 am

Regarding game plans, I read in some tributes to Phil Walsh's career, that he was only interested in two lots of stats.
Hard ball efforts in movement out of the backline.
Hard ball efforts in movement into the forward line.

Trouble is some supporters focus too much on mistakes made by players and contribute a loss to an imagined game plan that broke down.

First instinct is blame the senior coach for the loss.
Second instinct is by way of demonstrating superior knowledge of the game of footy is blame the sectional assistant coach for the loss, ie the backline coach for the loss.
Third instinct is blame an individual player for the loss, ie Cloke for missing vital goals. So what were people saying the other day when Cloke kicked six straight? And do we acknowledge the efforts of Cloke on Friday night in getting the ball up the ground and sending the ball into the forward line. I'd also like to know the stats for hard ball assists Cloke had. But I guess we dismiss all that because we lost the game and Cloke didn't have his kicking boots on.
Cleomenes 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:44 pm

The sole difference in the defensive handballs between us and both Fremantle and Hawthorn is that both of those clubs have their players confident enough in close to look for, see and target longer options than ours do at present. this means that when the ball is eventually kicked, the kicker is not quite as pressured as ours is. Result: a more directed and open flow from then on.
Both are dependent on the inside grunt players that those two clubs have. For Hawthorn, they are nearly all getting to the end. For us, only Swan is in this category. Fremantle have aging problems elsewhere on the field.
We are not there yet, but everything is trending in the right direction.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:12 am

John Wren wrote:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/nathan-buckleys-contract-will-be-extended-as-soon-as-possible-ceo-gary-pert-says/story-fnp04d70-1227428573713

I actually hope we hold off for another year! I know a contract extension will have its benefits such as stability, security for Bucks and it does instill confidence into him but I'd like to see what we do in 2016 before re-committing but Bucks has done so many good things this year that I wouldn't be against re-signing him now either but I just hope the club doesn't get ahead of itself extending his contract when he's still contracted until the end of 2016 at the very least.

The biggest example of this potentially going wrong recently is Ken Hinkley at Port Adelaide signing a contract extension at the end of last year. He had a brilliant start to his coaching career at Port admittedly but the club is now facing difficult issues under him and some Port fans in some corners believe re-signing him at the end of last year was too premature and has actually hurt the club in some ways and made them complacent.

E 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:02 am

Jezza wrote:
John Wren wrote:

I actually hope we hold off for another year! I know a contract extension will have its benefits such as stability, security for Bucks and it does instill confidence into him but I'd like to see what we do in 2016 before re-committing but Bucks has done so many good things this year that I wouldn't be against re-signing him now either but I just hope the club doesn't get ahead of itself extending his contract when he's still contracted until the end of 2016 at the very least.

The biggest example of this potentially going wrong recently is Ken Hinkley at Port Adelaide signing a contract extension at the end of last year. He had a brilliant start to his coaching career at Port admittedly but the club is now facing difficult issues under him and some Port fans in some corners believe re-signing him at the end of last year was too premature and has actually hurt the club in some ways and made them complacent.

A rich club should never have a lame duck coach. Sets a VERY bad tone. Unless there is a coaching salary cap? Is there?

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:07 am

Don't get me wrong I'd be happy to re-sign Bucks now as well but I think the club should be cautious about doing it right away.

If we're to re-sign him it should be done early next year in my opinion.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:11 am

Jezza wrote:
John Wren wrote:

So Port's form decline this year relative to last is because they extended Hinkley's contract.... interesting.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:30 pm

No I never said that, that's what some Port Adelaide fans have suggested (obviously the impatient ones at the very least) but I do believe they have a point about re-signing a coach too soon though.

As I said in my last post on this thread I would be satisfied to see Bucks re-sign now but I'm also keeping an open-mind to the fact that re-signing a coach prematurely can be a risk and sometimes it's best to hold out for a little while longer.

There's no right or wrong in how the club will approach this but obviously Pert and the board have been satisfied with Buckley's performance to date especially after the improvement we've witnessed this year hence these discussions are already being raised now.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:21 am

I stated early in this thread that the club would have KPi's to be meet.
I thought the last part of the puzzle would be our performance against the top echelon on sides.
The past 2 weeks proved we are a threat just a little of the pace which can be attributed to some inexperience from the players and still completely learning our game style.
The pleasing thing for mine is how we play 4qtrs every week. We don't lay down like Essendon did last weekend. We play a team focused style with manic pressure.
Sure of efficiency isn't great but it's never going to be the best with the style we play as we move the ball forward at any cost to force another contest and hope to win it back with huge pressure.
Give this group another 20/30 games together and we will be better again.
The contract will happen the length will be decided by the board. Eddie has shown to be a very good judge on this in the past so I'll trust him to do so again.
As for Bucks last night he was asked on 360 had his expectations risen the past few weeks on the back on 2 chances to beat the top 2 teams. He turned it around and asked Robbo had his expectations changed to which Robbo stated yes they had immensely. Then bucks said well internally we believe in what we are doing so what anyone else thinks doesn't enter our thoughts. He then said he believed prior to each game we could win them both.
His public speaking and the way he engages you makes you want to buy a 10yr membership (don't even know if there is such a thing) but he gives you the feeling the next decade will be black and white.
Interesting was the fact PHIL Walsh sort him out at the coaches conference to ask him questions. A 55yr old guy who has been in the coaching system for 20yrs seeking out a coach with a quarter of his experience. Makes you wonder how respected bucks is among the coaching fraternity. Paul Roos often on Monday nights defers to bucks on many questions and also flows bucks comments with positive reinforcement.
To anyone who still thinks he can't coach ask yourself this question if he was on the market would he get another job ?
Resign him and make it long term to reflect th vision the club has with this group.
Then let Hine do his thing to fill a couple gaps and my friends we are every chance of success
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7   

Jump to: