Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Josh Thomas and Lachie ­Keeffe could stay on Magpie list

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roar 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:

From what I'm hearing lately, not much of a stigma left, almost a badge of honour. Which really is a shame.

Don't think it's seen as a badge of honour. It's simply the way it is, nowadays.

Doubt it will stop the regulars but it may make the young kids think twice before trying, which isn't a bad thing, at all.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:19 pm

Looks like we'll rookie them both for next year, and just use one selection in the draft - hopefully on Sam Weideman. Cool
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:22 pm

Jezza wrote:
Tannin wrote:
bahh, there are no, repeat no legal grounds for a conviction. The only available witness for the prosecution would be the player himself - nothing he says outside a court room is evidence, eye-witness evidence has to be sworn or it counts for nothing - and he can't be compelled to give evidence against himself.

(In properly run countries, this is a constitutional right which protects us - among other things - against people being tortured into giving evidence against themselves. For some inexplicable reason, Australia's second-rate constitution does not provide this fundamental protection, but in nearly all circumstances various state laws operate to the same effect.)

The Evidence Act 2008 (Vic) and Criminal Procedure Act 2009 (Vic) have extensive provisions of when evidence is admissible or not.

in this instance is tannin guilty of conflating?

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:22 am

John Wren wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Tannin wrote:
bahh, there are no, repeat no legal grounds for a conviction. The only available witness for the prosecution would be the player himself - nothing he says outside a court room is evidence, eye-witness evidence has to be sworn or it counts for nothing - and he can't be compelled to give evidence against himself.

(In properly run countries, this is a constitutional right which protects us - among other things - against people being tortured into giving evidence against themselves. For some inexplicable reason, Australia's second-rate constitution does not provide this fundamental protection, but in nearly all circumstances various state laws operate to the same effect.)

The Evidence Act 2008 (Vic) and Criminal Procedure Act 2009 (Vic) have extensive provisions of when evidence is admissible or not.

in this instance is tannin guilty of conflating?

Very much so Razz Shocked

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:04 am

Put up or shut up, Jezza. You want to cite the act, cite the act. It's no use just saying it exists, what is in it that seems to you relevant, if anything?
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:11 am

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_act/ea200880/s84.html

The link above is s 84 of the Evidence Act and this is in regards to giving evidence of admissions influenced by violence or the threat of violence by a investigative authority such as the police.

If such an event was to occur this evidence would be inadmissible in a trial even though you quote saying a "constitutional right which protects us - among other things - against people being tortured into giving evidence against themselves does not provide this fundamental protection".

I agree that you are right that a constitutional right on this basis does not exist but it's not as if these provisions are non-existent at all in Victoria at the very least in a legislative sense as the above section of the Evidence Act 2008 (Vic) demonstrates but I can't comment on other states however and what their own evidential provisions entail.

More broadly I mentioned these Acts mainly for the purpose of possible further reading down the track especially if this case with Thomas and Keeffe escalates in the future but I hope for their sake it doesn't become any bigger than what it is currently.

However getting back onto the main point of the topic I think the issue of Thomas and Keeffe will be dealt with by the AFL and ASADA if no illicit drugs were involved in the case. As far as I know Thomas and Keeffe haven't said anything to suggest that they used illicit drugs which would then possibly explains why an banned substance under the WADA and ASADA codes was found in their system.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:36 pm

Dangles wrote:
David wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
David wrote:
Really glad that the club is considering this. Obviously, at the end of the day, it has to be a pragmatic decision, but the important thing for me is that it is a decision based on ability and on-field needs, not the desire to punish and/or be "good corporate citizens".

And if they have taken this drug unintentionally, I would hope that the sentence will at least be reduced from the two-year maximum.

Press reports seem to suggest that, in order to avoid a police investigation into possible use of cocaine/ecstacy, the players will not even offer an explanation as to how they consumed the stuff. They will effectively just plead guilty and cop the maximum 2 year ban.

I really hope that's not true. Obviously drug use carries stigma, but is it worse than deliberate cheating?

I also doubt that a one-off instance of drug use would result in a conviction.

I'd take the stigma of taking coke/ecstasy if it meant reduced time out of the game. They wouldn't get gaol time from a possession and use conviction.

I'd take the "stigma" of ingesting a modest mind-altering substance over farting in an elevator. I mean, should the latter happen on the 23rd floor, you'd be both high and embarrassed.

Of course, historically, the greatest stigma of all was owning a Mitsubishi Stigma, something which few if any have recovered from socially.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:39 pm

^^^ I had one... loved it...
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:43 pm

^Crikey, Jackass, you must have knackers the size of the Devil's Marbles proudly whipping that unsolicited tidbit out for all to see!
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:42 pm

Heard that Nathan Brown has said the Players want both the boys back
roar 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:21 pm

^^ Of course they do. Though, I'm pretty sure the players won't be the ones to decide.
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:13 pm

So remind me again how we get them off our list to be rookies without other teams picking them up?
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:18 pm

So when is the penalty expected to be handed down? And what's the holdup?
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:13 pm

Dangles wrote:
So when is the penalty expected to be handed down? And what's the holdup?

I'm pretty sure Gary Pert said recently that they would receive two year bans but this might be backdated possibly.

No one really knows for sure until the investigation and findings into this case are complete.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:17 pm

My very 1st car was a '77 Chrysler Sigma Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: