Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Josh Thomas and Lachie ­Keeffe could stay on Magpie list

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:26 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Keefe might be 27 when ready to go again - but he is a handy tall… in a couple of years brown will be 29 and certainly closer to 30 than Keefe! He could be a very good depth player at his peak who might be grateful for a chance to redeem himself.

If they are good blokes who made a stupid mistake - I hope the club does give em a chance - everyone makes mistakes - they were not cheating they were just stupid - which is something young blokes do!

I can recall a couple of young blokes in their mid 20's getting into some trouble driving a car back in 08 - we gave Shaw and Didak chance to redeem themselves and a few years later they were stars in our premiership team! Marley was given a chance and he looks to be repaying that faith now and for many more years I suspect.

Thomas and Keefe might not be stars - but they are part of the club when they partied to hard! - I would hope the club would do all it can to help them and they both can then use their experience to help inform and educate other young footballers and members of our community about the dangers and massive unknowns of some recreational drugs!

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:08 am

Golden Gordon wrote:
They have embarrassed the club. We don't want them!

Sort of like Swan, Didak, Shaw, and Williams. Second chances have paid dividends for the club in the past and I see no reason not to give them a break if we think they can contribute.

If we do keep them then I'd expect total commitment from them as they will have had a massive kick up the arse.

Edit: I didn't see yin hangs post before writing mine.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:50 am

John Wren wrote:
robevpau1 wrote:
Side by Side - do we kick our kids out onto the streets when they err from the 'straight and narrow', or, as a family, do we support and guide them by hoping they learn from their experiences .. that's all I want to say.

depends on who "we" are. if it is the club, i'd say they have a duty of care to ensure the fellas get through this with as little damage to their welfare as practicable. if it supporters, well, clearly the opinions and attitudes are divided. i am pleased there is a small glimmer of hope for them. if this year's draft is as weak as has been suggested then having ready made players available to us might be a good thing to consider.

On the very same page JW. Your post makes a lot of sense to me.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:03 pm

dalyc wrote:
Golden Gordon wrote:

Sort of like Swan, Didak, Shaw, and Williams. Second chances have paid dividends for the club in the past and I see no reason not to give them a break if we think they can contribute.

If we do keep them then I'd expect total commitment from them as they will have had a massive kick up the arse.

the likes of the dog might not want them but i am happy for them to be retained. in spite of their transgression, my opinion of them has not altered much.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:35 pm

If they stay on our list then Eddie and the club look like real idiots after all the anti drug rhetoric.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:38 pm

npalm wrote:
I find it hard to believe that the club will retain them.

Even if the club accepts that they took the PED unintentionally, it's still a big stain on the club's reputation.

The stain has already happened, retaining them or not does nothing to alter that.

Personally, I'd love to see them given a 2nd chance.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:45 pm

yin-YANG wrote:
Keefe might be 27 when ready to go again - but he is a handy tall… in a couple of years brown will be 29 and certainly closer to 30 than Keefe! He could be a very good depth player at his peak who might be grateful for a chance to redeem himself.

If they are good blokes who made a stupid mistake - I hope the club does give em a chance - everyone makes mistakes - they were not cheating they were just stupid - which is something young blokes do!

I can recall a couple of young blokes in their mid 20's getting into some trouble driving a car back in 08 - we gave Shaw and Didak chance to redeem themselves and a few years later they were stars in our premiership team! Marley was given a chance and he looks to be repaying that faith now and for many more years I suspect.

Thomas and Keefe might not be stars - but they are part of the club when they partied to hard! - I would hope the club would do all it can to help them and they both can then use their experience to help inform and educate other young footballers and members of our community about the dangers and massive unknowns of some recreational drugs!

I agree wholeheartedly.

Even if you did use way too many exclamation marks Wink
roar 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:20 pm

Very happy for the club to support these two. Rookie spots on the base wage would seem the ideal scenario. Hopefully for only one year.

Would also be a constant reminder to all the other players to be very careful about where you source your drugs from.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:06 pm

John Wren wrote:
dalyc wrote:
Golden Gordon wrote:

the likes of the dog might not want them but i am happy for them to be retained. in spite of their transgression, my opinion of them has not altered much.

I agree JW. After all, last time I checked, they hadn't assaulted anyone, run over someone or even hurt anyone. They did a dumb thing, which is a pretty common occurrence for young men of their age. It's probably a long shot they'll play again, but I'd be happy to give their careers a life-line.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Woods Of Ypres wrote:
Eddie giving them false hope. they are cooked.

Because Bucks likes them

The Average Tourist 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:55 pm

Can Thomas & Keefe be rookied for 1 year

Given we have a "Weak Draft" other than opportunity cost we could basically put Frost and Gault on the list and rookie Thomas & Keefe.

Until they are allowed to train they will as Eddie suggests "not even be allowed to eat the bread rolls"

So we are only giving up two rookie spots which unless there are a couple of smokies being hidden at the Westpac centre is not to much of an ask.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:58 pm

That may take a while.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:24 pm

The Average Tourist wrote:

Given we have a "Weak Draft" other than opportunity cost we could basically put Frost and Gault on the list and rookie Thomas & Keefe.

Until they are allowed to train they will as Eddie suggests "not even be allowed to eat the bread rolls"

So we are only giving up two rookie spots which unless there are a couple of smokies being hidden at the Westpac centre is not to much of an ask.

We seem to do quite well in the Rookie Draft so would it be worth doing that?

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:40 pm

i think you will find that was balme's doing.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:30 pm

John Wren wrote:

i think you will find that was balme's doing.

It's in his contract that he has right of veto on bread roll access.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: