Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Ashes: First Test 8-12 July 2015

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:46 pm
Post subject: The Ashes: First Test 8-12 July 2015Reply with quote

Does Harris get the nod for the first 11? If so who do we drop?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:55 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, Mitchell Johnson probably misses for him. Hazlewood and Starc are near-certainties, you'd think, so assuming that a spinner is required (so Lyon stays), that leaves the last spot between Harris and Johnson. Harris seems to be thought of as the leader of the attack, when he is available, so he's highly likely to get the nod.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:26 pm

Purely on bowling skill, I agree P4S.
But you can't discount the mental factor of facing a nemesis.
Johnson plays the first test for mine, Starc straight in if he misfires, but only if Starc can keep up the recent form of not following up an unplayable ball with 2 "4 balls" as he used to do.

The top 6 is the most interesting I reckon.
Where do you place Watson?, Clarke back to 5?, Voges or Marsh?

This is my side to start the Ashes:
1 Rogers
2 Warner
3 Smith
4 Watson
5 Clarke
6 Voges
7 Nevill
8 Johnson
9 Harris
10 Hazlewood
11 Lyon (as a defensive spinner on a flat wicket) / Fawad (on a raging turner)

A couple of points to clarify:
- Wade is who I'd like to pick as WK. Haddin would never have played for Australia if I was a selector, and I haven't seen enough of Nevill to rate him or otherwise. So that spot actually goes to Nevill by default, as he's in the touring party.
- S.Marsh opens when Rogers retires.
- Clarke has to bat a 5 for me. Doesn't seem like much of a difference batting 4 or 5, but there is. Clarke is naturally suited to batting in the middle order not the top order.

Can't wait!!!!

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:14 pm

The first Test is 3 weeks away.

Much water to flow under the bridge before that. Also the Test warm-up matches.

If all the tourists are uninjured, there's no way MJ would be left out of the Test XI. He is their (Poms) biggest fear.

Watson at #4 ?? Hardly. Smile

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:07 am

Starc has shown enough now that he's matured. His bad balls are few these days. A tall, fast accurate bowler with swing in his repertoire is a must. At the same time so is Johnston. Harris is a no brainer if fit & who knows if he will be be by the first test.

Rogers was concussed so we don't know how he is going to play & I'm not sure if he is a certainty - especially if they want to go for youth.

King Monkey 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:21 pm

I never said my line-up was anywhere near where the selectors' heads are! Smile
It's MY preferred line-up.

And yes I do agree Starc has probably gone passed Johnson, but he'll have to wait until after the Ashes or for a couple of sub-par performances to be named ahead of him.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:50 pm

They will both play.

The selectors will either go for Harris ahead of Hazelwood or (unlikely) play both and leave Lyon out.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:27 pm

Donny wrote:
They will both play.

The selectors will either go for Harris ahead of Hazelwood or (unlikely) play both and leave Lyon out.

Big call. Lyon now is a proven wicket taker & doesn't this pitch take spin? I\ recall some hears ago Swann taking a few for the "Pommie bastards".

King Monkey 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:40 pm

They will prepare dry wickets, Lyon or Fawad wil definitely play.

All 4 quicks can be used as attacking bowlers, but only 2 can be used to tie up an end as well. The conditions will require patience at times.
Harris and Hazlewood first 2 picked for this reason, Starc and Johnson will be used in short sharp spells to rattle the cage. Johnson has the "runs on the board" to deserve first crack at this role. (really poor cliche in the circumstances. Very Happy )

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:13 am

Warne reckons Harris for an unlucky Hazelwood:

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/shane-warne-backs-ryan-harris-instead-of-josh-hazlewood-for-ashes-20150619-ghsurj.html

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:24 am

According to the Cricket Australia Website there are two formal practice matches coming up:

2 x 4 day fixtures:

1. June 25 start v Kent

2. July 1 start v Essex

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:48 am

watt price tully wrote:
Donny wrote:
They will both play.

Big call. Lyon now is a proven wicket taker & doesn't this pitch take spin? I\ recall some hears ago Swann taking a few for the "Pommie bastards".

It simply boils down to: If Harris plays, it then becomes, which of Lyon and Hazelwood is more likely to take wickets (or tie up an end) ?

Remember, Australia has 4 capable change bowlers in its top 6 - Watson, Voges, Smith and Clarke.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:41 am

Englands surprise packet:

Mark Footitt: Derbyshire bowler deserves England call - O'Brien

Mark Footitt is "head and shoulders" above his county cricket rivals and fully deserves his England pre-Ashes squad call-up, says BBC Radio Derby's ex-New Zealand bowler Iain O'Brien.
O'Brien, who played 22 Tests, has been commentating on Derbyshire since 2014.

And he believes paceman Footitt, 29, is long overdue international recognition.
"It has been a genuine pleasure to watch him. He's been head and shoulders above all other bowlers in domestic cricket," O'Brien told BBC Sport.

"But I am not influenced by following Derbyshire. He is just that good.
"If England want to win the Ashes, he should be involved given what he has done in the past couple of seasons. He has bowled fast and intelligently, he has got the ball to swing and moved it both ways. And he is very quick - one of the quickest out there.

Former England bowler Ryan Sidebottom:

"Footitt is a good addition. He bowls very quickly and has that variation that England have needed for a long time now. Batsmen do get used to your bowling, especially so in Test cricket. When I was at Nottingham he was a young left-armer with a lot of potential. He was always asking about bowling, always interested in how to win games. He's in good form, and I'm pleased for him. He deserves his chance."
"He bowls with pace but he can go up and down the ranges.
"He doesn't need to be bowling at more than 90 miles per hour all the time. When it's time to drag it back with a little bit more control he can."
Footitt has taken 32 wickets in Division Two of the County Championship this season and O'Brien has no doubts the left-armer can make the step up in quality.

"He should have been in the team to play against New Zealand, taking nothing away from Mark Wood, so that England could have a real good look at him," said O'Brien.
"There is a disparity between his age and how much cricket he has actually played and maybe there has been an element of his age counting against him with the selectors.
"Maybe they are concerned about what's left in the tank and they are going with younger players for the one-day team. But they need to pick a guy when he is playing well for the Tests."

From The Daily Mail (UK)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: