Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

US Election 2016

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

pietillidie wrote:
Lol - Trump Q&A on Twitter...

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/donald-trump-announces-asktrump-qanda-on-twitter-backfires-spectacularly/story-fnjwnhzf-1227538837451

From another article I read:

Quote:
Naturally, headlines started popping up pretty much immediately, almost all declaring that the Q&A had “backfired.” But did it? I’m not even sure what something “backfiring” on Trump would look like. It’s not like anyone is outing him as being widely hated, or even regarded as a walking joke. Everyone already knows that. Trump has staked his claim in this election as being the guy who says such inflammatory things, there’s nothing to criticize or call out that he’s not already doing himself. And given Trump’s constant criticism from all sides, could he possibly have been so lacking in self-awareness as to think this Q&A could have gone any differently? Was the whole point just to keep his name in people’s minds, no matter what they’re saying? That method seems to have been working pretty well for him so far.

http://www.pajiba.com/miscellaneous/did-the-asktrump-qa-actually-backfire-or-go-exactly-as-planned.php
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:21 pm

^Of course this is a comedy show! LOL at the sprouted potato! Laughing

But not even Donald's best routines could "trump" Scott Walker's wall across Canada and the Great Lakes—that has my vote for best comedy moment so far!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:32 pm

pietillidie wrote:
David wrote:
David wrote:
Scott Walker: Not the musician, unfortunately. He's probably my least favourite candidate purely for being the archetypal smarmy god-fearing Republican with the sincerity of a used car salesman. Was probably a '50s sitcom Dad in an earlier life. I expect he'll make it to the last 3 or 4 candidates at least. Oh, and did I mention he wants to build a wall along the Canadian border!?

And that's why they don't pay me the big bucks. Embarassed

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/sep/21/scott-walker-ends-2016-presidential-campaign

No shame in that; they did vote for George W. twice!

Not quite: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_election_recount

"The Florida election recount of 2000 was a period of vote re-counting that occurred following the unclear results of the 2000 United States presidential election between George W. Bush and Al Gore, specifically the Florida results. ......"

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:35 pm

^No need to be technical here; three dozen votes for George W. would make the very same point!

Aha - here's the potato:

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:43 pm

pietillidie wrote:
^No need to be technical here; three dozen votes for George W. would make the very same point!

Aha - here's the potato:

Laughing Laughing

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:46 pm

Meanwhile, the UK is feeling left out...

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:36 am

Trump's released his tax plan, it's very Reagan ie: cutting the tax rate while closing loopholes.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/09/28/mark-levin-gives-thumbs-donald-trump-tax-proposal-hell-plan/

So he's gone from Clown Show to releasing serious policy and continues to grow in the polls. My take on this is we're going to see President Donald Trump in 2016, probably with Carson or Fiorina as VP.

Democrats are almost no chance at this stage unless Biden runs (he's quite popular), Sanders will get the left out and voting but the Centre and Right will eviscerate him and Hillary is just about cooked already.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:48 am

Wokko wrote:
Trump's released his tax plan, it's very Reagan ie: cutting the tax rate while closing loopholes.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/09/28/mark-levin-gives-thumbs-donald-trump-tax-proposal-hell-plan/

So he's gone from Clown Show to releasing serious policy and continues to grow in the polls. My take on this is we're going to see President Donald Trump in 2016, probably with Carson or Fiorina as VP.

Democrats are almost no chance at this stage unless Biden runs (he's quite popular), Sanders will get the left out and voting but the Centre and Right will eviscerate him and Hillary is just about cooked already.

You're quoting Mark Levin - a former Reagan advisor. Reagan did to the US economy (Reaganomics) what Tony Shaw did for a Collingwood premiership during his coaching tenure. Levin is also a frequent contributor to Rush Limbaugh (he makes Alan Jones sound like an unbiased radio journalist).

More than 1 year to go. Far too early to make accurate predictions IMO.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:01 am

watt price tully wrote:

You're quoting Mark Levin - a former Reagan advisor. Reagan did to the US economy (Reaganomics) what Tony Shaw did for a Collingwood premiership during his coaching tenure. Levin is also a frequent contributor to Rush Limbaugh (he makes Alan Jones sound like an unbiased radio journalist).

I agree with your last point, but not your first point. US economic growth in the Reagan era and the GHW Bush and Clinton era was broadly strong after the very sluggish growth of the 1970s. Pinning that on a single government is somewhat difficult, but it's hard to make the case that Reagan's economic policy was not a macroeconomic success if you measure success by growth and employment in the 8 years of his tenure and the 8 years after. Arguably it was Clinton that sowed the seeds of the one genuine US economic heart attack of the last 50 years by allowing the repeal of the Glass-Steagall act which separated Investment and retail banking.

I was in the US (New Jersey) last week and surprised (and alarmed) by how many ordinary Americans seem genuinely enthused by Trump. Americans tend to love what they see as plain-speaking, practical people - and he is pushing those buttons very well.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:45 am

Just what America needs. A maximum 25% tax rate!

I hope journalists grill him on what government services (specifically health, education, infrastructure) he's offering to cut given the billions (trillions?) in lost revenue his plan will cause.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:55 am

Mugwump wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

I agree with your last point, but not your first point. US economic growth in the Reagan era and the GHW Bush and Clinton era was broadly strong after the very sluggish growth of the 1970s. Pinning that on a single government is somewhat difficult, but it's hard to make the case that Reagan's economic policy was not a macroeconomic success if you measure success by growth and employment in the 8 years of his tenure and the 8 years after. Arguably it was Clinton that sowed the seeds of the one genuine US economic heart attack of the last 50 years by allowing the repeal of the Glass-Steagall act which separated Investment and retail banking.

I was in the US (New Jersey) last week and surprised (and alarmed) by how many ordinary Americans seem genuinely enthused by Trump. Americans tend to love what they see as plain-speaking, practical people - and he is pushing those buttons very well.

Reagan had 8 years. Clinton had to repair it. George W had 8 years, Obama had to repair it.

Reaganomics has been universally denounced. Trickle down theory & cutting taxes for the rich didn't work. I'm surprised you still buy into it.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:02 am

The Democrats will win the election.

Can't see many hispanic or African Americans voting for the Donald.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:05 am

Can't see many Republicans voting for him, either. Still, if he decides to run as an independent he can really put the result beyond doubt.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:35 am

watt price tully wrote:

Reagan had 8 years. Clinton had to repair it. George W had 8 years, Obama had to repair it.

Reaganomics has been universally denounced. Trickle down theory & cutting taxes for the rich didn't work. I'm surprised you still buy into it.

Oh, I don't really subscribe to trickle down theory in absolute terms. But there's an optimum level of tax (probably ca 45-50% for genuinely high incomes, 25% max for capital), and it's not so high that people stop investing and striving, or move themselves and their businesses abroad to avoid it.

On Reagan's economy, the growth and employment data in the 1980s and 1990s, compared to the deadly 1970's, are rather impressive. And certainly the UK revived its economy from a basket-case in the 1970s to a vigorous dynamic and successful economy today, based - in part - on far lower top rates of tax which made it an attractive country in which to to invest. It takes 10 years to judge the impact of a serious change in policy, I think.

What makes you think that Clinton "fixed" Reagan's economy, though ? I don't think his administration significantly raised taxes (and he could not do so anyway as he did not control the House of Reps). I don't see a basis for that claim.

I completely agree, however, that Obama had to repair the shambles of fiscal incontinence and financial chaos left by Bush, which he did by endorsing the Troubled Asset Relief Programme, fighting off the daft Republicans' debt ceiling shenanigans, underpinning GenMotors, and ensuring that Bernanke and Geithner were supported in their pursuit of the bank/AIG/Fannie Mae and Fannie Mac rescues and QE. Obama is one of the better Presidents - comfortably in the top 25% - in my eyes.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:20 pm

swoop42 wrote:
The Democrats will win the election.

Can't see many hispanic or African Americans voting for the Donald.

There are sizable sections of those demographics for whom the message is resonating quite strongly. The Donald is slamming illegal immigration, and illegal immigrants do the jobs, at a fraction of the wage, that were traditionally done by African Americans so there is a bit of "They took our jobs" going on.

Ditto for the legal Hispanics, but both groups have traditionally voted Democrat in large numbers anyway.

The biggest threat to Trump is Biden, who defeats him soundly in many polls and would be a nightmare for him to face. Carson or Fiorina would both be better choices if the Dems go with Biden.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Page 11 of 148   

Jump to: