Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

US Election 2016

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:44 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's Scott Adams take on the first debate.

You can agree or disagree all you want, my point in putting it up is that he has been extraordinarily accurate in his predictions for over 12 months, so lets see how these comments look in a couple of weeks with the benefit of hindsight.

Quote:
Trump and Clinton debated each other for the first time last night. Heres how I score the night.

Clinton won on points. She had more command of the details and the cleaner answers. Trump did a lot of interrupting and he was defensive. If this were a college debate competition, Clinton would be declared the winner. I call that victory on the 2D chess board. But voters dont care about facts and debating style. They care about how they feel. So lets talk about that.

For starters, Trump and Clinton both seemed presidential enough. That mattered more for Trump. We havent seen him off the teleprompter lately. So Trump passed that test by being sufficiently serious.

Clinton looked (to my eyes) as if she was drugged, tired, sick, or generally unhealthy, even though she was mentally alert and spoke well. But her eyes were telling a different story. She had the look of someone whose doctors had engineered 90 minutes of alertness for her just for the event. If she continues with a light campaign schedule, you should assume my observation is valid, and she wasnt at 100%.

Some will say Clinton outperformed expectations because she didnt cough, collapse, or die right on stage. That would be true if she also looked healthy in general, and her campaign schedule from here on out is full. Well know more this week, based on her schedule.

Clintons smile seemed forced, artificial, and frankly creepy. Im already hearing on Twitter that mentioning a womans smile is sexist. I understand the point. But when someone goes full Joker-face and tests the uncanny valley hypothesis at the same time, thats a bit different from telling a woman to smile more. My neighbor Kristina hypothesized that Botox was making her smile look unnatural. Science tells us that when a persons mouth smiles, but their eyes dont match the smile, they look disingenuous if not creepy. Botox on your crows feet lines around your eyes can give that effect. But whatever the reason, something looked off to me.

To be fair, Trumps physical appearance wont win him any votes either. But his makeup looked better than I have seen it (no orange), his haircut was as good as it gets for him, and he was otherwise his normal self that some voters hate and some like.

But the most interesting question has to do with what problem both of them were trying to solve with the debate. Clinton tried to look healthy, and as I mentioned, I dont think she completely succeeded. But Trump needed to solve exactly one problem: Look less scary. Trump needed to counter Clintons successful branding of him as having a bad temperament to the point of being dangerous to the country. Trump accomplished exactly thatbylosing the debate.

Trump was defensive, and debated poorly at points, but he did not look crazy. And pundits noticed that he intentionally avoided using his strongest attacks regarding Bill Clintons scandals. In other words, he showed control. He stayed in the presidential zone under pressure. And in so doing, he solved for his only remaining problem. He looked safer.

By tomorrow, no one will remember what either of them said during the debate. But we will remember how they made us feel.

Clinton won the debate last night. And while she was doing it, Trump won the election. He had one thing to accomplish being less scary and he did it.

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/151007796236/i-score-the-first-debate

Last edited by stui magpie on Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:49 am

That does not happen very often.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:49 am

i cannot believe anyone could be pro trump! bizarre! or do they just hate Hilary?

saw an article where his son says something like, its ok, your safe with my dad as President, he will have advisers stopping him doing things! hmm, ok then!

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:07 am

The punters warmed to Hillarys performance....
She shortened to $1.44, while Donald drifted to $2.90.

There's still a market for 6 others; Sanderson (80/1), Biden (80/1), Johnson (100/1), Kaine (100/1), Michelle Obama (250/1) & Jill Stein (400/1)...... how does that work??

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:06 am

^ Johnson and Stein are actually running, so it's fair enough to open a market for them even though they have effectively 0% chance of winning. The rest are just novelty bets for drunk people with too much money.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:10 am

Scott Adams wrote:
For starters, Trump and Clinton both seemed presidential enough. That mattered more for Trump. We havent seen him off the teleprompter lately. So Trump passed that test by being sufficiently serious.

In what way did Trump look "presidential"? He looked like some random guy from the bus ranting incoherently. (Then again, there's nothing new there, so obviously it's not such a bad campaign approach.)

Scott Adams wrote:
Trump was defensive, and debated poorly at points, but he did not look crazy.

I think a lot of people would disagree with that.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:31 am

You've lost the debate when you blame the microphone & the moderator.

It's beyond question that Trump lost this debate. Even Trump gave the debate to Clinton.

However, how does this impact on voters? It will give Clinton more moment & she'll be able to control the agenda for a brief period till the next debate.

Donald's lies are catching up with him and his participation in racist debates such as the birther movement make him look like Jerry Springer material. He expressed support for the Iraq war & this is on record despite his claims he was against it.

One of his many weaknesses is his tax avoidance & failure to show his taxes as every other presidential candidate has done for many years.

Talking over Clinton (& the moderator) on ? 70 occasions will go against him in future debates as it did on this & I think particularly for women voters.

Last edited by watt price tully on Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:31 am

David wrote:
Scott Adams wrote:

In what way did Trump look "presidential"? He looked like some random guy from the bus ranting incoherently. (Then again, there's nothing new there, so obviously it's not such a bad campaign approach.)

Scott Adams wrote:
Trump was defensive, and debated poorly at points, but he did not look crazy.

I think a lot of people would disagree with that.

Yep

And check out how much space he uses talking about Hilary's face!

Just aside-I'm guessing trump uses just as much, if not more, plastic surgery stuff as Hilary.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:39 am

Stephen Colbert on the debate:

Very funny (at times) : even for trump supporters.

http://www.realclearlife.com/2016/09/27/colbert-sums-up-the-first-trump-clinton-debate/

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:03 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Clinton looked (to my eyes) as if she was drugged, tired, sick, or generally unhealthy, even though she was mentally alert and spoke well. But her eyes were telling a different story. She had the look of someone whose doctors had engineered 90 minutes of alertness for her just for the event. If she continues with a light campaign schedule, you should assume my observation is valid, and she wasnt at 100%.

Clinton won the debate last night. And while she was doing it, Trump won the election. He had one thing to accomplish being less scary and he did it.

What a load of absolute bloody rubbish......... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Worse than normal bullshit.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:44 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Stephen Colbert on the debate:

Very funny (at times) : even for trump supporters.

http://www.realclearlife.com/2016/09/27/colbert-sums-up-the-first-trump-clinton-debate/

Wow!

That is the unfunniest Colbert I have ever seen. What was there to laugh at? Nothing, repeat nothing at all.

Was it just a very off night, or has he lost his touch. I kept waiting for the funny bit, but there wasn't one. Very sad to see a great comic reduced to this.

burton 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:52 pm

stui magpie wrote:

She's a socie, look up some of her worst quotes.

Unforgiveable.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:59 pm

burton wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

She's a socie, look up some of her worst quotes.

Unforgiveable.

if she can do this, thats the vote made worthwhile right there!

http://hillaryclintonquotes.tumblr.com/image/131869344520

gees he has some lovely quotes too!!

http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/entertainment/people/donald-trump-quotes-57213

he is right though:

11. One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people dont go into government.

Well at least hes showing some self awareness.

Read more at http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/entertainment/people/donald-trump-quotes-57213#Du10jD8m3B80qLPz.99

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:03 pm

http://www.arkancide.com/
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:17 pm

Is that the "really bad stuff" that Trump's saving for the next debate? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Page 90 of 148   

Jump to: