Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

US Election 2016

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David, it doesn't matter what "we" have learned - what matters is what the swinging voters in the US electorates have learned. Since they vote Republican sometimes, the answer is probably that they haven't learned too much.

Berlusconi at least knew how to run a football club (running AC Milan is probably a more important job than being in charge of a dysfunctional place like Italy) and Amin got power through the military.

The parallel with Abbott is a bit more of a concern, since I suspect he was voted in because the electorate at large hadn't liked having a woman in charge. In that context, it is worth bearing in mind that last time the Democrats had to choose who would run, they found it easier to pre-select a black man than a white woman. I understand that the choice could probably be explained in other ways (and I was certainly pleased when Obama got the nod from the selectors on the Thursday night before the big game) but, at bottom, I am expecting that conservative Americans, as a whole, will be even more likely to prefer a bloke, any bloke, to a woman. Hence, a Trump presidency is possible.

With a bit of luck, we'll get some good fun out of it, if it happens (remember "Idi, Idi, Idi Amin, the most amazing man that's ever bin"?), provided we are not black, brown, poor, homeless, sick or otherwise disadvantaged Americans and we live in a place that is going to be entirely untouched by anything America does in the next 8 years.

So, when's the next flight to Alpha Centauri leaving?
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:09 pm

That David is a cool dude.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:26 pm

David wrote:
I think this is educational for a lot of us. I think we forgot that we live in a world of Berlusconis, Idi Amins and Abbotts. Why should America be any different, really?

I just can't get on board with leftists like Helen Razer and John Pilger who would rather see the carnage brought on by a Trump presidency than the more or less safe status quo of Clinton. It's just so naive to think that right-wing extremism will bring on the people's revolution they hope for. The world doesn't work like that; after Franco, Mussolini and so on, people were just happy for some moderate social democracy (if you could even call it that) where they could enjoy some basic civil liberties and political dissidents weren't going to get bumped off. I'm not saying Trump's going to become an actual fascist dictator, but it's most definitely going to be a rough and non-cathartic four to eight years if he gets into power. Have we learnt nothing from the last Republican presidency?

The short answer, probably not. We haven't learnt anything rather than nothing.

However David, it is better to have realistic expectations that Trump is a possibility for becoming the President of USA than being blind to the prospect or blithely ignoring it because it causes too much grief/stress to even think about this happening for some.
As for me, Que sera sera. I can only worry about things I can have some control over.
Whether trying to predict an outcome of a Collingwood game or the Presidential voting, it is pure speculation until the event becomes a factual result. So why bother going grey over such matters? I don’t.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:12 am

Trump has the numbers.
http://www.theage.com.au/world/us-election/donald-trump-secures-enough-delegates-to-clinch-the-republican-nomination-20160526-gp4y95.html

YES!!! President Trump is coming. Very Happy
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:24 am

Also has the most votes in Republican primary history despite running against 17 opponents and some big primaries to come.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:30 am

That's certainly proof that he's been able to galvanise the morons.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:10 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
That's certainly proof that he's been able to galvanise the morons.

For someone who regularly says that he doesn't tolerate fools, Trump sure knows how to win them over.... Rolling Eyes

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:08 pm

Hillary 1/2 on
Trump keeps on firming, now into 7/4.
He might just pinch this.

Will it be called the Great Wall of Donald? Where will all the Muslims go?
This is better than any reality TV show!

Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:04 pm

Skids wrote:
Hillary 1/2 on
Trump keeps on firming, now into 7/4.
He might just pinch this.

Will it be called the Great Wall of Donald? Where will all the Muslims go?
This is better than any reality TV show!

Fools rush in...........................to vote for Trump... Twisted Evil

He is in like Flynn I reckon... Rolling Eyes

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:25 pm

This certainly doesn't help matters:

http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/seventeen-words-that-spelled-trouble-for-hillary-clinton

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:37 pm

Fascinating analysis on why Trump will "smash" Clinton according to this guy who analyses the image and persuasion techniques that Trump has displayed in his bid to win the Republican nomination.

He isn't a Trump supporter, but is supremely confident that he will win in November.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LibRNYJmZ-I

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:53 pm

Where's Wokko?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:06 pm

Jezza wrote:
Fascinating analysis on why Trump will "smash" Clinton according to this guy who analyses the image and persuasion techniques that Trump has displayed in his bid to win the Republican nomination.

He isn't a Trump supporter, but is supremely confident that he will win in November.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LibRNYJmZ-I

He points out some of the weaknesses in Clinton's campaign, but if some of the things he ascribes to Trump as successful tactics – juvenile name-calling, for instance – are the stuff of great election victories, then the average American voter is a lot less intelligent than I thought.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:16 pm

I wasn't too surprised that Trump got the nomination, maybe a little that Hilary got it but it's going to be very interesting to see how America votes.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:04 pm

The Prototype wrote:
I wasn't too surprised that Trump got the nomination, maybe a little that Hilary got it but it's going to be very interesting to see how America votes.

My gut feeling is that Trump (unfortunately for most of us sensible folks) will triumph!!

Time will tell.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Page 66 of 148   

Jump to: