Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

US Election 2016

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 146, 147, 148  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:14 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Morrigu wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
She's thick as a brick.

And you know this as fact how exactly? Rolling Eyes

Well she's married to Trump for starters. Laughing

Then of course she opens her mouth and removes all doubt.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:53 am

Give me a break! The woman clearly struggles with English as it isn't her native language. The merciless bagging from so-called tolerant liberals toward her in the last few months has been nothing short of disgraceful.

The fact that she's staying back in New York for the sake of her young son finishing the schooling year is something I can't help but admire. It shows me that she's got her priorities straight.

The woman cops way too much flak than she deserves. Her husband is fair game since he's assumed a significant position of power, but she's largely been out of the spotlight during his campaign and subsequent victory.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:07 am

Mugwump wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
think positive wrote:
When I saw the rioting my first thought was that shopping strip won't look much different! Quite shocking how beaten up and horrible parts of DC are less than a mile for two from the White House.

And yes I agree, it's bizarre, can't quite get my head around it. His missus scrubbed up well, classy. Nice.

<snip – please try to steer clear of potentially libellous insults> usually do.

She's thick as a brick.

Apparently it's ok to call someone thick as a brick, but not the snipped thing. I suppose that is right, but it is curious.

As it happens, there are worse things to call someone!

I also question Melania's taste in men, but I share your discomfort about some of her treatment in progressive circles, Jezza. I think Rundle nailed it when he referred to a moment where she was up on stage with her husband and the Clintons: that "among the two gangster families at the heart of this struggle, she’s the only bona fide innocent". Unless, of course, we've underestimated her, and she's the Slovenian supervillain behind Donald pulling the strings... Wink

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:09 am

Overwhelmed by his good looks, honesty, generosity, respect for women and compassion for minorities and those less fortunate I'm sure it's true love.

If you believe any of that then sorry I can't help you.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:52 am

Probably need to rethink the logo

http://observer.com/2017/01/womens-strike-to-boycott-housework-and-beauty-products-starting-inauguration-day/

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:54 am

You seem uncertain. I want to become smarter than humans.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:20 am

Isn't it interesting.... Democrats boycotted the innaguration of Abraham Lincoln because of his radical plan to abolish slavery.

Lincoln often expressed moral opposition to slavery in public and private.[1] Initially, he expected to bring about the eventual extinction of slavery by stopping its further expansion into any U.S. territory, and by proposing compensated emancipation (an offer Congress applied to Washington, D.C.) in his early presidency. Lincoln stood by the Republican Party's platform of 1860, which stated that slavery should not be allowed to expand into any more territories. Lincoln believed that the extension of slavery in new western lands would block "free labor on free soil", and he also wanted a peaceful, enduring end to slavery. As early as the 1850s, Lincoln was politically attacked as an abolitionist, but he did not consider himself one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Lincoln_and_slavery

In the 16 weeks between Lincoln’s nomination in 1860 and his inauguration, 7 of the southern states seceded from the Union. They left the United States of America. Led by Democrat Jefferson Davis – Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina and Texas all left. A large majority of their delegates were Democrats.

The issue they left over was slavery. These Democrat states wanted to keep slavery and they were willing to fight a Civil War over it. In Lincoln’s second inaugural in 1864 the southern states were still locked in the Civil War and their Congressional delegation, of course, stayed away. This was the bloodiest war in American history and Democrats did not feel Lincoln was a legitimate President. He was Republican, after all

http://www.vivaliberty.com/democrats-also-boycotted-lincoln-inauguration-both-of-them/

Last edited by Skids on Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:34 am

Jezza wrote:
Give me a break! The woman clearly struggles with English as it isn't her native language. The merciless bagging from so-called tolerant liberals toward her in the last few months has been nothing short of disgraceful.

The fact that she's staying back in New York for the sake of her young son finishing the schooling year is something I can't help but admire. It shows me that she's got her priorities straight.

The woman cops way too much flak than she deserves. Her husband is fair game since he's assumed a significant position of power, but she's largely been out of the spotlight during his campaign and subsequent victory.

Quite so, Jezza. Staying in New York is clearly the smart move in her case. Apart from anything else, she'll have the convenience of a dry bed and not have to make breakfast for the Russian prostitutes.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:12 am

Skids wrote:
Isn't it interesting.... Democrats boycotted the innaguration of Abraham Lincoln because of his radical plan to abolish slavery.

Lincoln often expressed moral opposition to slavery in public and private.[1] Initially, he expected to bring about the eventual extinction of slavery by stopping its further expansion into any U.S. territory, and by proposing compensated emancipation (an offer Congress applied to Washington, D.C.) in his early presidency. Lincoln stood by the Republican Party's platform of 1860, which stated that slavery should not be allowed to expand into any more territories. Lincoln believed that the extension of slavery in new western lands would block "free labor on free soil", and he also wanted a peaceful, enduring end to slavery. As early as the 1850s, Lincoln was politically attacked as an abolitionist, but he did not consider himself one.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Lincoln_and_slavery

In the 16 weeks between Lincoln’s nomination in 1860 and his inauguration, 7 of the southern states seceded from the Union. They left the United States of America. Led by Democrat Jefferson Davis – Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina and Texas all left. A large majority of their delegates were Democrats.

The issue they left over was slavery. These Democrat states wanted to keep slavery and they were willing to fight a Civil War over it. In Lincoln’s second inaugural in 1864 the southern states were still locked in the Civil War and their Congressional delegation, of course, stayed away. This was the bloodiest war in American history and Democrats did not feel Lincoln was a legitimate President. He was Republican, after all

http://www.vivaliberty.com/democrats-also-boycotted-lincoln-inauguration-both-of-them/

Yep – the Republicans were historically the progressive party (they emerged from the old Whigs, whose sister party in the UK are now the centre-left Liberal Democrats) while the Democrats were the party of the old south, a dynamic that persisted until around WW1 or a little after when the Democrats started picking up more of the working class vote. That move was set in stone with Franklin Roosevelt's progressive 'New Deal' in 1932, but it still took until 1964 and the Republicans' Barry Goldwater candidacy for the Democrats to finally lose the bulk of the racist/segregationist vote in the southern states and for the Republicans to become what they are today – the party of the religious right and big capital.

So, yeah, the parties have pretty much swapped places.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:12 pm

I started writing this:
Quote:

Skids, in 1860 the Republican Party was a party of reform, vision, and vigour - nothing like the ossified collection of oligarchs loopy firebrands that carry that once-proud name today. At that same time, the Democratic Party was deeply divided. One half was something like the Trump wing of the present-day Republicans, while .....

Then David's post popped up and saved me the trouble of finishing it. David's post is better anyway.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:14 am

Bye Bye TPP

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/23/donald-trump-first-orders-trans-pacific-partnership-tpp
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:01 am

Good news on the TPP. The other stuff sounds more like the kind of odious base-placating that we'll see a lot of over the coming months and years.
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:48 am

I don't pretend to understand these free trade deals but do the ever truly benefit the average person in the street or is it purely of benefit to the lucky few at the top of the chain.

By all reports this agreement was a dog anyway.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:35 pm

the USA was only in the agreement by Obamas executive order, he couldn't get congress to approve it. Trump killed it by executive order. so far keeping his promises. ( I can see how that might be scary for some. Razz )

For Australia, the USA not being in the agreement means 9/10ths of F all. All the other signatories are our major trading partners, so it may still go ahead without the US

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:37 pm

think positive wrote:
Probably need to rethink the logo

http://observer.com/2017/01/womens-strike-to-boycott-housework-and-beauty-products-starting-inauguration-day/

I'll bite. What's the issue with the logo? Doesn't mean anything to me.

As an aside, if, when I was married, my wife had gone on strike from doing housework, i wouldn't have noticed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 146, 147, 148  Next
Page 147 of 148   

Jump to: