Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

US Election 2016

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:10 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wokko wrote:
David wrote:
By the way, any mild sympathies I had for Rand Paul are stone dead after his response to the latest Trump brain spasm. I'm hoping Rubio or Bush get the Republican nomination now (Kasich is ok too, but he's no chance). As for Cruz, he would have to be my least favourite candidate after Trump - a thoroughly nasty piece of work.

..... Unless Trump comes out as a gay communist I'd say he's got it firmly in hand.

You got the bolded bit right but I suspect we're talking about different things.

A long way to go.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:11 pm

Skids wrote:
I'm liking Trump more everyday. He says what most people think, yet are to scared to say it for fear of being labled a racist.

Shocked

Now that's a surprise. Would never have picked it

Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:59 am

watt price tully wrote:
Skids wrote:
I'm liking Trump more everyday. He says what most people think, yet are to scared to say it for fear of being labled a racist.

Shocked

Now that's a surprise. Would never have picked it

All I can say is to each their own but still unbelievable and scary as hell that even a few fellow human beings admit to having such bloody bigoted views of other human beings Shocked Rolling Eyes

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:28 am

Worth noting that the Republican establishment are really turning on Trump now. He's already floating the idea of a breakaway party. All Hillary needs to do is turn up.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:42 am

David wrote:
Worth noting that the Republican establishment are really turning on Trump now. He's already floating the idea of a breakaway party. All Hillary needs to do is turn up.

Trump has surged in the polls, he's up 14.8% on his nearest rival.

I don't know why you think Hillary will win, she's never going to be able to motivate the electorate or her 'core' to vote the way Barry O did. Trump will have every conservative out on election day, in fact the thought of Hillary will be enough to shift even the laziest redneck out to a polling station. It'll take Trump running as 3rd party like Dole did to hand the other Clinton his win or a massive self immolation of the republican party to get her over the line.

The establishment will just have to deal with it (or commit mass Suicide by handing the election to Hillary and in perpetuity to the Democrats through self sabotage).

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/12/10/hold-response-gop-establishment-works-seven-stages-grief-donald-trump/
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:45 am

Every one?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:52 am

Looks to me like a Republican civil war. Breitbart and their fellow travellers have gone all in on Trump, and they're going to destroy their party in the process. I guess I should be rubbing my hands with glee at this, but I just feel too aghast at the madness of it all.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:56 am

David wrote:
Looks to me like a Republican civil war. Breitbart and their fellow travellers have gone all in on Trump, and they're going to destroy their party in the process. I guess I should be rubbing my hands with glee at this, but I just feel too aghast at the madness of it all.

There's a good article on the odds of each candidate.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2015/12/10/laying_odds_on_the_gop_presidential_race_128994.html

Some good points about why Trump might not win it, and I agree with much of what he said. I actually think Cruz is a bit more of a chance than he does, and Rubio a bit less but it's overall a pretty good analysis.

If Trump is looking 100% like the nominee after the first round of primaries then I'd expect the party to start slowly getting around him. A bit like the Dems with Obama, they didn't want him but they were on a winner, so rode it home.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:14 pm

I find the whole thing interesting. I don't believe Trump is an idiot, he's behaving like a negotiator not a politician. The problem is with too many people taking him literally.

Both the statements about letting no Muslims in and deporting all illegal Mexicans are impractical and divisive but in a negotiation they would be called ambit bids or claims.

If you start in the middle ground you have no where to go but the middle ground. Start on the extreme and you have room to move.

There are people who advocate for taking in every refugee that wants to come here which is more ludicrous that Trumps position of taking no Muslims.

A negotiator is comfortable with starting at a point and working down and don't have any issues with that being seen as weakness or backing down. Politicians hate having to do that.

Of course Trump's opponents and plenty of others will take him literally and call him an idiot, a bigot, etc. I think however that only an idiot would take him literally and believe the people with an obvious axe to grind.

The guy is tapping a vein and doing far better than I think even he believed he would. How he changes when it starts getting serious will tell the tale.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:48 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I find the whole thing interesting. I don't believe Trump is an idiot....,

I think there's a bit of straw man there Stui.

Who says he's an idiot?

Representing big money to be sure

He's controlling the agenda & doesn't really care what he says. He's a populist.

An idiot, I don't think so.

Dangerous, yep.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:56 pm

There's a lot of Reagan in the run of Trump, a gleeful conservative optimism running in stark contrast to the statist progressive era of Obama. Like Reagan, trump is an unlikely conservative hero and time will tell if he can reach the lofty heights of Reagan, but seeing the Liberals, Progressives and hand wringing pearl clutchers wet their panties makes the show worth while. Laughing
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:38 am

Wokko wrote:
There's a lot of Reagan in the run of Trump, a gleeful conservative optimism running in stark contrast to the statist progressive era of Obama. Like Reagan, trump is an unlikely conservative hero and time will tell if he can reach the lofty heights of Reagan, but seeing the Liberals, Progressives and hand wringing pearl clutchers wet their panties makes the show worth while. Laughing

I think you're a bit skewed on this.

Most are delighting in the republicans internal mayhem. Great stuff.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:42 am

I've seen little evidence of Trump not being an idiot, WPT. Have you listened to him talk? Unless it's all an act, he really doesn't come across as the sharpest tool in the shed.

Wokko wrote:

Can you give me, like, five significant reasons why Trump would make a competent president? Policy-wise, personality-wise, anything. Extraordinary claims like "I will make this country great again" surely require some sort of extraordinary supporting evidence.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:44 am

watt price tully wrote:
Wokko wrote:

I think you're a bit skewed on this.

Most are delighting in the republicans internal mayhem. Great stuff.

I see more fear than delight. The ranting, fuming, hatred towards Trump isn't delight, it's terror. The Republicans aren't imploding, not yet, the establishment don't WANT Trump, but they still want to win.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:35 am

Wokko wrote:

I can't see that at all, Wokko. Like Reagan, the lemon-suckers of the modern puritan Left portray Trump as unhinged, because he says plain things that vulgar people think. Other than that, though, I can't see anything in common.

Reagan was a hugely skilled politician with years of campaigning and the successful governorship of California on his CV. He was also, indeed, sunny and charming and wired into the American archetype of the nice guy in the flannelette shirt who is always humble and innocently optimistic. Trump is angry, divisive, and self-glorifying. If Trump does win, he represents something much nastier. Interestingly, yesterday's FT had a detailed article on the hollowing out of America's middle class, which is now at its lowest in nearly 100 years. Whenever you dismantle the middle classes, bad things start to happen. Trump is the latest example.

If he wins, then Hillary will bolt in next November.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Page 15 of 148   

Jump to: