Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

US Election 2016

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

A great rant aimed at feminist Hillary Clinton supporters:

http://thebaffler.com/blog/my-kind-misogyny

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:06 pm

Sweet Christ on a bike, who is this guy?

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/08/i-dont-care-donald-trump-brushes-off-horrified-reaction-to-his-muslim-ban

He got one thing right, though:

Donald Trump wrote:
“We are out of control”

CP 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:36 pm

A few years back many staunch advocates for spending hundreds of billions of dollars on reducing carbon dioxide emissions in order to combat man-made global warming used a pretty consistent argument to proffer their case. It took the emotion out and instead based it on risk management.

The argument was that if we did spend this money and AGW turned out to not be as catastrophic as the models predict, then all we've lost is the money and we have 'cleaner' industry for it. BUT, if we didn't spend the money and AGW turns Earth into a fiery hell-hole, then we've lost EVERYHTING.

It made reasonable sense to the most ardent anti-AGW campaigner and became at least a platform by which to mount a conversation.

Fast forward about 6 years and a similar argument can be used for the abolition of Muslim immigration into civilised, progressive western cultures.

If countries such as continental Europe, Australia, Japan, Canada, USA, much of South America and the British Isles ceased the intake of Muslims and the threat of Islam isn't as big as the Koran insists it should be, then our communities in effect, will have lost essentially nothing.

BUT, if we keep Muslim immigration rolling and allow 'refugees' from Muslim countries into our lands and they are indeed on jihad to effectively convert or kill 'unbelievers' and implement sharia law as dictated in the Koran, then we have lost EVERYHTING.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:31 am

I'm pretty sure there's more to climate science (and the international political acceptance of it) than a Pascal's Wager, CP.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_Wager

Quote:
Pascal's Wager is an argument in apologetic philosophy devised by the seventeenth century French philosopher, mathematician and physicist Blaise Pascal (1623–62).

It posits that humans all bet with their lives either that God exists or that he does not. Based on the assumption that the stakes are infinite if God exists and that there is at least a small probability that God in fact exists, Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not actually exist, such a person will have only a finite loss (some pleasures, luxury, etc.), whereas they stand to receive infinite gains (as represented by eternity in Heaven) and avoid infinite losses (eternity in Hell).

Rather fittingly, this is the biggest problem with Pascal's reasoning, and the reason why even Christians are reluctant to invoke it nowadays: the world is not made of such absurd and reductive binaries. Not in climate science, not in metaphysics and certainly not in Muslim immigration.

CP 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:13 am

David wrote:
I'm pretty sure there's more to climate science (and the international political acceptance of it) than a Pascal's Wager, CP.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_Wager

Quote:
Pascal's Wager is an argument in apologetic philosophy devised by the seventeenth century French philosopher, mathematician and physicist Blaise Pascal (1623–62).

It posits that humans all bet with their lives either that God exists or that he does not. Based on the assumption that the stakes are infinite if God exists and that there is at least a small probability that God in fact exists, Pascal argues that a rational person should live as though God exists and seek to believe in God. If God does not actually exist, such a person will have only a finite loss (some pleasures, luxury, etc.), whereas they stand to receive infinite gains (as represented by eternity in Heaven) and avoid infinite losses (eternity in Hell).

Rather fittingly, this is the biggest problem with Pascal's reasoning, and the reason why even Christians are reluctant to invoke it nowadays: the world is not made of such absurd and reductive binaries. Not in climate science, not in metaphysics and certainly not in Muslim immigration.

And yet, the usual argument of the left is in such "binaries" - ie, you either believe in man-made global warming or you're a "denier" and immoral. Either you believe in welcoming all Muslims or you're evil and immoral.

Absolutism is the domain of the left and they hate it when it's thrown back at them like Trump has done. This is because the left only deal in absolutes and if it doesn't fit their framework, it's wrong. It's evil. It's absurd.

You can't have it both ways (and that's a general 'you', not you specifically as you often try to expand your thought around an argument).
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:45 am

CP wrote:
This is because the left only deal in absolutes

Oh the irony. Wink

Like anything else, 'the left' is an incredibly diverse grouping that contains everyone from mouth-breathing ideologues to some of the human race's greatest and most nuanced thinkers. Personally, I generally avoid such descriptors as 'evil' or 'immoral' – what matters to me is not the 'morality' of the individual but the quality of the ideas being expressed.

Personally, I do believe some ideas are absurd to the point where arguing them is a waste of time, and climate science scepticism may well be one of them. I also think that seeing Muslim immigration to the West as an invasion or worrying that we're all going to be subject to Sharia Law is irrational and harmful. But I agree with you that it is as wrong to condemn all xenophobes or climate change sceptics as evil or immoral as it is to condemn Muslims in the same way. We are all susceptible to irrational belief patterns in one way or another, but that doesn't mean that we don't deserve to be treated with dignity. Trump's rhetoric on Muslims does not treat them with dignity.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:28 am

I'm liking Trump more everyday. He says what most people think, yet are to scared to say it for fear of being labled a racist.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:53 am

I'd contest 'most', but I do think that he and his supporters ae at least somewhat correct when they say that political correctness - people being afraid of saying what they really think - is a reason for his success. In that sense, having him around could be a force for good, perversely; because it's one thing to claim a silent majority and another to put your odious beliefs on public display, present them to the people and endure a humiliating defeat (which is what will happen if the Republican Party are foolish enough to give him their nomination).
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:39 pm

Forget about Trump, he's an inflated moron who'll appeal to the luny right wing, gun toten', bible bashing, red neck rump of the Republican party. He's evidence that GOP can't win and won't win an election any time soon.

He's kind of what we'd get if we rolled Corey Bernadi, Eric Abetz, Concetta Fierravanti-Wells, Peter Dutton, The Parrot, Murdoch and Bolt, into one glorious, confused and fearful Liberal.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:32 pm

Trump gets the Vader treatment. Laughing Laughing Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU_Jdts5rL0

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:09 am

Trump vs Clinton is getting closer and closer in the polls, some polls have Trump in the lead. This is before the Republicans have turned their attention to attacking Hillary (and she's eminently attackable), while Trump is attacked by the media and the left (even establishment Right) relentlessly.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

Cruz is the only one who can beat Trump imo.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:51 am

By the way, any mild sympathies I had for Rand Paul are stone dead after his response to the latest Trump brain spasm. I'm hoping Rubio or Bush get the Republican nomination now (Kasich is ok too, but he's no chance). As for Cruz, he would have to be my least favourite candidate after Trump - a thoroughly nasty piece of work.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:21 am

David wrote:
By the way, any mild sympathies I had for Rand Paul are stone dead after his response to the latest Trump brain spasm. I'm hoping Rubio or Bush get the Republican nomination now (Kasich is ok too, but he's no chance). As for Cruz, he would have to be my least favourite candidate after Trump - a thoroughly nasty piece of work.

Rubio is a chance, Bush is dead in the water (just doesn't want to drop out before the lesser lights) and Kasich was never in the picture. Carson has since imploded and his support is going to Cruz and Trump. Unless Trump comes out as a gay communist I'd say he's got it firmly in hand.

Rubio and Cruz are both in a decent position as either is more likely to beat Clinton, depends how support falls once candidates start dropping, but both of them are staying quiet on Trump because everyone who's tried to take him out (Bush, Rand and Carson) have all imploded after trying.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:00 am

The bookmakers still have Bush in the top four:

https://m.oddschecker.com/m/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/republican-candidate

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:28 pm

David wrote:
The bookmakers still have Bush in the top four:

https://m.oddschecker.com/m/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/republican-candidate

He's at something like 4% and now struggling to get donors. When you're a Bush and people don't want to throw money at you, it's over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Page 14 of 148   

Jump to: