Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

US Election 2016

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 103, 104, 105 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to travel for a meeting and ended up early so pulled out the phone and clicked on watch the debate live

WTF - vision was a miniature Zen garden with 2 candles burning to represent the " debaters", a sand pit complete with Buddha statue, a broccoli tree and a water fountain. And every so often a little hand would appear pick up a tiny wooden rake and rake the sand Laughing

You could just hear them talking but there was a tropical storm complete with thunder happening and running comments and likes etc floating across the bottom of the garden - support seemed like 40% him, 40 per her and 20% for the rake Very Happy

Spent a long time watching - it was so silly I couldn't look away - she stumbled and bumbled a lot more in this one I reckon. And there seemed to be more applause for him - or was that the thunder??

IMHO the moderator was good - much better than the others.

Now FFS just vote and have it done with! Razz

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:07 am

stui magpie wrote:
Tannin wrote:
Oh bosh. No-one, repeat no-one, can listen to Trump's constant stream of self-contradictions and downright lies - lies he doesn't even bother to try to disguise - and accept the man as a candidate for office unless that listener is indeed terminally stupid.

Calling people stupid is not a sensible tactical move in any debate. It only confirms them ever-stronger in their stupidity (if they really are stupid), or gets their backs up and strengthens their existing attitude anyway (if they are not). Either way, it achieves nothing by way of persuasion.

However here on this board, none of us are voters in the US election and persuading posters to one point of view or another is not part of the job description. We are just looking on and chewing over the fat. So there is no reason to pretend things are other than what they are. Trump supporters are stupid. It is impossible to (a) know anything much at all about the election and (b) support Trump unless you are really and truly very, very stupid.

My original point stands.

If you want to criticise it, a sensible starting place would be to suggest that some (possibly many?) Trump supporters know perfectly well that Trump lies constantly and deliberately, and that Trump's policies are self-contradictory and impossible to even partially implement in the real world, and simply don't care.

That would be a valid line of attack. However, in my view, and in the view of any other half sensible person, a voter in a democracy who happily abandons even the pretense of honesty, never mind abandoning any attempt to present credible policy, is either a very dangerous anti-democratic nutcase best sent to Guantanamo Bay with the rest of them, or else very, very stupid. It is kinder and more generous to assume the latter, though I sometimes fear that there is a hefty dash of the former mixed in with it.

So in summary, you're saying that 40% of US citizens are stupid.

Stupid or politically suicidal. Lots of intelligent people are the latter. My bet is it's about 20% stupid (like, clay-eatingly stupid) and about 20 %politically suicidal. the article that Wokko linked to (explaining, in effect, why rural people feel politically suicidal) was excellent, however.

Now someone intelligent and principled needs to stand up for these people, rather than the ignorant and demagogic Trump. I fear that is unlikely to happen, however. Certainly the Democrats are unlikely to do so, for reasons he explains well.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:36 am

I'm not sure what's more exhausting, watching this saga or the trade period. And I'm not sure if the world wins either
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:47 am

A rather eye-opening look at the two main third-party candidates.

https://youtu.be/QQosu-RqunQ

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:29 pm

think positive wrote:
I'm not sure what's more exhausting, watching this saga or the trade period. And I'm not sure if the world wins either

It's like watching a slow motion car smash.
Interesting to begin with, less so each passing week!
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:35 pm

Ronald McThump's "only going to accept the result "IF" it goes my way" reminds me of every two bob dictator from Armin to Assad!
IF America want's to be grate again it can do with-out this particular kind of dummy-spit!

btw Ronald, "who wants to be an apprentice" not winning an Emmy was more about the quality of reality TV, not about results being rigged!

Man up and start acting like one mate!
roar 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:24 pm

think positive wrote:
I don't like feminists they r all lesbians with bad haircuts

Do you practice at being closed-minded or does it come naturally?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:26 pm

All?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:38 pm

3.14159 wrote:
Ronald McThump's "only going to accept the result "IF" it goes my way" reminds me of every two bob dictator from Armin to Assad!
IF America want's to be grate again it can do with-out this particular kind of dummy-spit!

btw Ronald, "who wants to be an apprentice" not winning an Emmy was more about the quality of reality TV, not about results being rigged!

Reminds me of Al Gore, but whatever.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:55 pm

roar wrote:
think positive wrote:
I don't like feminists they r all lesbians with bad haircuts

Do you practice at being closed-minded or does it come naturally?

Hehe 😂 yeah ok!

Gees even David got a giggle, lighten up

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:35 pm

3.14159 wrote:
think positive wrote:

It's like watching a slow motion car smash.
Interesting to begin with, less so each passing week!

Ha true that, not
Not long now thankfully, nov 8th! Gees I'm glad the Aussie campaigns are not so big!

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:47 pm

Wokko wrote:
3.14159 wrote:

Hardly true by any objective measure. The results in the Bush Gore election were very tight and hinged on the reasonably disputable counting of votes in one state. Trump has called "rigging" of the vote even before the count. He is a figure from bizarro world.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:14 pm

So heard on the radio trump is back to within 4%,. 44 to 40.

Guy wont stay down

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:03 pm

Wokko wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9yZqsDUbKI

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:49 pm

Jezza wrote:
Wokko wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9yZqsDUbKI

So.... The word "rigged" is used a lot as a metaphor for a social game where there are winners and losers. That is completely different to arguing the very specific point that the 2016 election is (or will be) rigged - when it will not be - and you and your supporters need not accept the result.

Anyone who thinks this series of clips shows Democrats saying the same thing as Trump is not thinking clearly. But then, the more I see posted about Trump, the more i grow convinced that we in the West have lost the ability to think at all. Is there something in the drinking water ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 103, 104, 105 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Page 104 of 148   

Jump to: