Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

US Election 2016

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
facts don't matter to voters

There ya go, tidied it up for you. Razz Wink

Laughing Laughing

(actually, thought you'd like the article)

It's actually pretty spot on. Scott Adams has been covering the same sort of stuff for a while. There's ways around it but it involves a pretty good understanding of human psychology and the caveat that you need to put aside the concept that humans act rationally.

There's an old saying about knowing which buttons to push to get the desired reaction.

You'll notice if you're following the campaign that Hillary has turned the persuasion dial up to 11. Forget facts, forget policy, it's all about repetition of emotive comments. She's using Trump's playbook back at him same as Shorten used Abbott's playbook in the last election.

This is the future of political campaigns, like it or not.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:31 am

Why Clinton isn't picking up the white blue collar vote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsb319yyhvs

Very Happy Laughing

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:53 am

the thought that this guy could some how be in charge of the most influential government in the world is really scary:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-10/trump-says-second-amendment-people-can-stop-clinton/7712182

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:39 pm

think positive wrote:
the thought that this guy could some how be in charge of the most influential government in the world is really scary:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-10/trump-says-second-amendment-people-can-stop-clinton/7712182

Classic example of how people choose to interpret things in the way that suits their mindset.

I heard the quote from Trump this morning. The first part, where he said Hillary was intending to effectively abolish the 2nd amendment (by implementing some form of gun control) was being somewhat lenient with the truth, but in reality no more than any average politician throws out outright lies during a campaign.

The bit that has people riled was the end bit.
Quote:
"If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do folks," Mr Trump said. "Although the Second Amendment people maybe there is, I don't know."

The anti Trumpers are choosing to interpret that as basically a dog whistle for someone to shoot Hillary

Trump's team are saying it was intended to mean that the gun lobby in the USA is a large and powerful one (which it is) so they may be able to do something about it, as they have every other time gun control has been suggested.

Both are legitimate interpretations and it depends on the individuals personal mindset which one they choose to believe.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:39 pm

Mate it's obvious what he meant! The guy us a tool. She may be one too, but he's a tool!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:45 pm

LOL, Jo last time I checked you were no better at reading minds than I am (which is not good) so you're just doing exactly what I said above.

1. You don't like Trump.
2. If any action can be interpreted 2 ways, your brain chooses the one that agrees with your underlying beliefs.

That last part aligns you with 99.9% of the population

ps, they're both tools

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:29 pm

Actually I don't dislike him, I just don't think he's fit to run a country! I think he's a bit of a clown to be honest! But a very smart clown!
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:33 pm

If you could, please tell me what would make it smart.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:53 pm

Trump often leaves things purposefully vague so that it's not 100% clear what he meant (the thing about Megyn Kelly being on her period being a case in point), but objectively speaking his campaign's explanation doesn't seem credible here. His train of thought was going "once she selects the judges [i.e. once she's already been elected president], there's nothing we can do ... except...".

Trump takes the Vladimir Putin approach of lying on such a frequent basis that people inevitably start to see two sides to a story. Say there aren't Russian troops in Ukraine often enough and you might not convince everyone, but people will start to think the truth is unknowable and that either side could be right. That's what you're doing here, Stui.

As it happens, I don't think we need to leave our brains on the door here whatever our views on Trump, we can still analyse what he says relatively objectively, even given the fact that the American media is insanely obsessed with storms in teacups. He clearly made a dumb joke (not the end of the world, but, yeah, probably not great to give people ideas).

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:08 pm

^

Almost no one analyses this stuff objectively.

All media commentary is biased based on either editorial policy or "journalist" individual bias.

The vast majority don't get much past the headline (which is written by a sub editor, not the journo) and confirmation bias does the rest.

Why do you think 80+% of the population votes party line?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:16 pm

He does have the best hair though. It deserves its own postcode
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:20 pm

Objectively isn't necessarily the same thing as even-handedly. We all have our biases, sure, but that doesn't mean that people are incapable of intellectual engagement with anything that they have a predisposed attitude towards. For example, it's no secret I dislike Trump, but when a story like this comes up my first instinct is to check the facts and try to work out the truth for myself.

Although Trump has well and truly taken the art form to a whole new level, I've never been particularly interested in 'gaffe' stories whether it happens to be about Tony Abbott, Bill Shorten, Richard Di Natale or Vladimir Putin. I'm sure I'm not alone on that. What terrifies me about Trump is what he might do as president, not the stuff that comes out of his mouth while his brain is trying to catch up.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:59 pm

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:

Classic example of how people choose to interpret things in the way that suits their mindset.

I heard the quote from Trump this morning. The first part, where he said Hillary was intending to effectively abolish the 2nd amendment (by implementing some form of gun control) was being somewhat lenient with the truth, but in reality no more than any average politician throws out outright lies during a campaign.............

The point here is that he left more than enough room for the interpretation noted. For someone with no care factor you sure show a lot of care in defending basically what is in effect indefensible regarding Trump at times. he knew what he was saying & for him it is now part of his narrative & consistent with his anger. Trump depends on fear & anger.

Still rather than outrage use - enough rope & they hang themselves.

The polls show his strategy so far ain't working:

Of course there is a lot of water to go under the bridge but the latest poll results which aggregate & averages out other polls that is, Real Clear Polls (RCP) which I've posted a few times shows for the period of 29 July 16 - 9 August 2016 shows that clinton has a remarkable 10% lead over the loud, rude & narcissistic combover

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

Clinton: 48
Combover: 40.3

Still, plenty of time to go & all sorts of things can still happen.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:25 am

watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:

I heard the quote from Trump this morning. The first part, where he said Hillary was intending to effectively abolish the 2nd amendment (by implementing some form of gun control) was being somewhat lenient with the truth, but in reality no more than any average politician throws out outright lies during a campaign.............

The point here is that he left more than enough room for the interpretation noted. For someone with no care factor you sure show a lot of care in defending basically what is in effect indefensible regarding Trump at times. he knew what he was saying & for him it is now part of his narrative & consistent with his anger. Trump depends on fear & anger.

Still rather than outrage use - enough rope & they hang themselves.

The polls show his strategy so far ain't working:

Of course there is a lot of water to go under the bridge but the latest poll results which aggregate & averages out other polls that is, Real Clear Polls (RCP) which I've posted a few times shows for the period of 29 July 16 - 9 August 2016 shows that clinton has a remarkable 10% lead over the loud, rude & narcissistic combover

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

Clinton: 48
Combover: 40.3

Still, plenty of time to go & all sorts of things can still happen.

He's got at least $20 riding on it!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:48 am

At least!? Shocked If we go any higher, I might have to sell the baby. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 80, 81, 82 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Page 81 of 148   

Jump to: