Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#12 Matt Scharenberg

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 92, 93, 94  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Proud Pies wrote:
Josh Thomas is an example. We recruited him and his first season he didn't play VFL til about June as he had surgery on both his shins. It was something we knew would need to be done and we recruited him anyway.

I for one am glad we did.

We didn't use pick 6 on josh.

And if we have to wait 3 years to see shazza then i think we'd all conclude using 6 was a mistake.

That said, let's hope we see him this year

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:34 am

We consistently pick players with a flaw. It's Hine trademark: he has picked a lot of high-quality midgets; young Reid who looked promising but had to stand up twice to cast a shadow; Grundy under an injury cloud; Brown with a dud knee; Scarenberg with dodgy feet; Thomas with shin troubles, and so on. This is a deliberate policy, by the look of things. Hine takes the long-term view, he doesn't care what a player in the 2014 draft will do in 2015, he cares about what he will do in 2017 and 2020. He also knows that every other list manager has looked at every other player in the top 60 or 80, so to get value from his picks he goes looking for mistakes, especially looking for players they have under-valued because of some visible flaw that, in the longer-term, Hine reckons might not matter too much.

So, really, this is just more of the same policy we have been seeing for years. Which is better? (a) A potential good player in good shape? Or (b) potential great player with an injury? Player (a) is the sort who will get you into the final eight if all goes well. Player (b) is the sort who, if it works out, will win you premierships. There is some risk. Yep. No risk, no gain - and Hine is a master at calculating the risks and betting with the smart money.

E 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:21 am

Tannin wrote:
We consistently pick players with a flaw. It's Hine trademark: he has picked a lot of high-quality midgets; young Reid who looked promising but had to stand up twice to cast a shadow; Grundy under an injury cloud; Brown with a dud knee; Scarenberg with dodgy feet; Thomas with shin troubles, and so on. This is a deliberate policy, by the look of things. Hine takes the long-term view, he doesn't care what a player in the 2014 draft will do in 2015, he cares about what he will do in 2017 and 2020. He also knows that every other list manager has looked at every other player in the top 60 or 80, so to get value from his picks he goes looking for mistakes, especially looking for players they have under-valued because of some visible flaw that, in the longer-term, Hine reckons might not matter too much.

So, really, this is just more of the same policy we have been seeing for years. Which is better? (a) A potential good player in good shape? Or (b) potential great player with an injury? Player (a) is the sort who will get you into the final eight if all goes well. Player (b) is the sort who, if it works out, will win you premierships. There is some risk. Yep. No risk, no gain - and Hine is a master at calculating the risks and betting with the smart money.

And this is a wonderful policy when you have pick 65 because there is no down side (the regular 65th pick is unlikely to make it wo a lfawed genius that you might turn around is a good strategy). Sometimes simply picking the sixth best player in the country (and minimizing injury downside) is the best use of the 6th pick. I will never forgive Judkins for trying to outsmart the country by passing on the chance to take a known quanitity like Haselby or Pavlich (which is who we would have been choosing between had we kept the three pick - Freo took Haselby at 2 and left Pavlich for 4 because they knew Richmond were looking for a midfielder - if we were there at 2 i suspect they would have taken Pavlich).

With that said, i agree that it is simply not even worth debating the merits of taking a player at number 6 becasue he is not a star in round 1. I wonder how well the other top 10 draft picks went this weekend????? Its a silly exercise and only worth debating two years in.

I actually remember us all being very upset in the first few weeks of Pendlebury's time as a magpie because he didn't show much early.....

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:42 am

Tannin wrote:

I think Hine watches Moneyball every morning before breakfast.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:22 am

E wrote:
Tannin wrote:

And this is a wonderful policy when you have pick 65 because there is no down side (the regular 65th pick is unlikely to make it so a flawed or injured genius that you might turn around or might come good is well worth the downside risk).

However, the 6th pick is different. In that case, i believe that simply picking the sixth best player in the country (and minimizing injury downside) is the best use of the 6th pick. I will never forgive Judkins for trying to outsmart the country by passing on the chance to take a known quanitity like Haselby or Pavlich (which is who we would have been choosing between had we kept the three pick - Freo took Haselby at 2 and left Pavlich for 4 because they knew Richmond were looking for a midfielder - if we were there at 3 i suspect they would have taken Pavlich).

With that said, i agree that it is simply not even worth debating the merits of taking a player at number 6 becasue he is not a star in round 1. I wonder how well the other top 10 draft picks went this weekend????? Its a silly exercise and only worth debating two years in.

I actually remember us all being very upset in the first few weeks of Pendlebury's time as a magpie because he didn't show much early.....

MOTR 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:42 am

Wokko wrote:
Proud Pies wrote:
Josh Thomas is an example. We recruited him and his first season he didn't play VFL til about June as he had surgery on both his shins. It was something we knew would need to be done and we recruited him anyway.

I can't stand Josh Thomas, one of the most unfunny comedians I've ever seen. "Look at me, I'm gay" isn't a $£$%^%%$ JOKE you douchebag.

oh... the other Josh Thomas, carry on. Laughing

Just because the joke didn't work for you, Wokko, don't take it out on Josh Thomas. It might have been your delivery.

MOTR 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:47 am
Post subject: Re: Scharenberg - regrets?Reply with quote

dalyc wrote:
Hi all, the lasts two paragraphs of this article makes me wonder whether we're regretting picking shazza at 6. I hope we haven't stuffed it.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-integrity-crackdown-spreads-to-parttime-recruiting-scouts-20140323-hvltd.html

The article doesn't make it clear where the concerns are coming from. Perhaps it's the clubs who baulked that are having regrets they weren't better informed on the day.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:23 am

Proud Pies wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Proud Pies wrote:

I can't stand Josh Thomas, one of the most unfunny comedians I've ever seen. "Look at me, I'm gay" isn't a $£$%^%%$ JOKE you douchebag.

oh... the other Josh Thomas, carry on. Laughing

ooooooooo I did snicker

Thankyou, first chuckle for the day

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:14 am
Post subject: Re: Scharenberg - regrets?Reply with quote

MOTR wrote:
dalyc wrote:
Hi all, the lasts two paragraphs of this article makes me wonder whether we're regretting picking shazza at 6. I hope we haven't stuffed it.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-integrity-crackdown-spreads-to-parttime-recruiting-scouts-20140323-hvltd.html

The article doesn't make it clear where the concerns are coming from. Perhaps it's the clubs who baulked that are having regrets they weren't better informed on the day.

Yes, that's a possibility too

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:24 am

E wrote:
Tannin wrote:

And this is a wonderful policy when you have pick 65 because there is no down side (the regular 65th pick is unlikely to make it wo a lfawed genius that you might turn around is a good strategy). Sometimes simply picking the sixth best player in the country (and minimizing injury downside) is the best use of the 6th pick. I will never forgive Judkins for trying to outsmart the country by passing on the chance to take a known quanitity like Haselby or Pavlich (which is who we would have been choosing between had we kept the three pick - Freo took Haselby at 2 and left Pavlich for 4 because they knew Richmond were looking for a midfielder - if we were there at 2 i suspect they would have taken Pavlich).

1/ Boyd - 4 goals in GWS reserves
2/ Kelly - GWS reserves
3/ Billings - Saints sub, missed a goal with first kick from 10m out
4/ Bontompelli - WB reserves
5/ KK - GCS reserves, but picked up 52 touches a week prior in reserves
6/ Scharenberg

On the back of one round of AFL football, I think we are clearly ahead….with pick 65 Tom Langdon's senior debut with 24 possessions!

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:54 am

Albert Parker wrote:

2/ Kelly - GWS reserves
6/ Scharenberg

On the back of one round of AFL football, I think we are clearly ahead….with pick 65 Tom Langdon's senior debut with 24 possessions!

Happy to be quoted in the future. I'm 100% confident and KNOW that Shazza will be an absolute bloody gun for the pies... Laughing
Stinger 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:57 am

Albert Parker wrote:
E wrote:
Tannin wrote:

2/ Kelly - GWS reserves
6/ Scharenberg

You can throw Jack Martin into that list too - Screwed AC Joint
Luke Dunstan StK (1Cool looked pretty good
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:01 am

A young up and coming Ruckman by the name of Brodie Grundy missed a huge whack of football as well. Cemented the number 1 ruck spot by the end of the year. I wouldn't be worried about Scharenberg just yet. You don't often draft a ready to go player that high in the draft.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:19 am

Not worried about him at all. Our guys knew his feet issues before drafting him & said they were extremely confident that he would be able to get on top of it. They tried just rest first & after he resumed with some pain still there, they bit the bullet & performed a similar operation to that of Josh Thomas. Thomas's feet have been fine since.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:45 am

Wokko wrote:
A young up and coming Ruckman by the name of Brodie Grundy missed a huge whack of football as well. Cemented the number 1 ruck spot by the end of the year. I wouldn't be worried about Scharenberg just yet. You don't often draft a ready to go player that high in the draft.

A few years ago, a young magpie named Dawes missed a fair bit of his first season and ended up being a premiership player.... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 92, 93, 94  Next
Page 2 of 94   

Jump to: