Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#12 Matt Scharenberg

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93, 94  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:32 pm
Post subject: What’s up with Scharenberg ?Reply with quote

Sorry if I’ve missed it somewhere, but he’s been unsighted ....is he injured ?
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Big history of injuries so you can only assume are keeping him in cotton wool.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:49 pm

Played last Thursday.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:01 pm

I have read repeatedly that they are now grooming him to play on bigger opponents, presumably because his lack of pace would be less likely exposed against bigger opponents.
It’s an interesting change of tact because with Moore, Murray and Langdon finally with a full preseason under his belt, Sharenberg now looks squeezed out to me.
Hopefully the role change pays dividends and he can make that transition sooner than later. We could certainly do with his ball use out of the backline.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:53 pm

Lack of pace, height, physicality and kicking depth, make him a liability in my book. As great as he obviously was as a teenager, his numerous chronic injuries have crippled him to the point where Mihocek already looks a much better option. This is not me having a go at the kid. It's not his fault. In fact he should be applauded for persevering after so many injury setbacks. However, the modern game requires pace and physicality more than ever, and from what I've seen, as recent as the intra-club practice game 2 weeks ago, he just hasn't got what it takes.

Some Nicksters will criticise me for it, but I've been saying this for about 3 yrs now, and each year that passes, the more I'm convinced recruiting him was a monumental disaster.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:03 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
Played last Thursday.

Ah, good, thanks Bat

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:40 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Lack of pace, height, physicality and kicking depth, make him a liability in my book. As great as he obviously was as a teenager, his numerous chronic injuries have crippled him to the point where Mihocek already looks a much better option. This is not me having a go at the kid. It's not his fault. In fact he should be applauded for persevering after so many injury setbacks. However, the modern game requires pace and physicality more than ever, and from what I've seen, as recent as the intra-club practice game 2 weeks ago, he just hasn't got what it takes.

Some Nicksters will criticise me for it, but I've been saying this for about 3 yrs now, and each year that passes, the more I'm convinced recruiting him was a monumental disaster.

Rude I understand your points mate but he was never quick even as a junior. His draft combine sprint test was in the mid range over both 20 & 40m slightly ahead of Langdon (in his draft hear) but well behind the fastest player in Freeman remember him lol
Physicality wise he's at the minimum the same as Langdon and maybe in front of him but he doesn't need to be overly physical as he reads the game so well he gets to the ball earlier than most others.
His kicking is miles ahead of Langdon and most others of his size in the backline. Langdon can't kick it over 20-25m accurately yet Scharenberg last year led our side in targets hit over 30m +
Finally Sanderson seems to have a completely diffent view to you stating they had held Scharenberg back the past month as this was his first full AFL preseason and they wanted him cherry ripe come round 1
Buckley and the medical staff managed him long term last season and Buckley said this was done with the view to his long term in the game not the short term
You and many others might be surprised the clubs opinion on this guy he's held in very high regard for many reasons
He may not figure round 1 (I think the Hawks will play a small forward line thus we will need to adjust our defenders accordingly)
Rude he may not be a defender of choice in your team and that's fair lord knows his body is one mishap away from it being done at this level (and I pray it doesn't happen like you mate) but he is a player who will surprise many maybe even as a forward !!!
themonk 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:31 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Rude I understand your points mate but he was never quick even as a junior. His draft combine sprint test was in the mid range over both 20 & 40m slightly ahead of Langdon (in his draft hear) but well behind the fastest player in Freeman remember him lol
Physicality wise he's at the minimum the same as Langdon and maybe in front of him but he doesn't need to be overly physical as he reads the game so well he gets to the ball earlier than most others.
His kicking is miles ahead of Langdon and most others of his size in the backline. Langdon can't kick it over 20-25m accurately yet Scharenberg last year led our side in targets hit over 30m +
Finally Sanderson seems to have a completely diffent view to you stating they had held Scharenberg back the past month as this was his first full AFL preseason and they wanted him cherry ripe come round 1
Buckley and the medical staff managed him long term last season and Buckley said this was done with the view to his long term in the game not the short term
You and many others might be surprised the clubs opinion on this guy he's held in very high regard for many reasons
He may not figure round 1 (I think the Hawks will play a small forward line thus we will need to adjust our defenders accordingly)
Rude he may not be a defender of choice in your team and that's fair lord knows his body is one mishap away from it being done at this level (and I pray it doesn't happen like you mate) but he is a player who will surprise many maybe even as a forward !!!

Spot on, I believe we need to use him as a forward now that Goldie has gone down.

Hopefully Dunn, Murray, Moore, Howe, Landon & Crisp can do the job down back. Whilst Scharenberg can be our 3rd tall, maybe his football smarts & skill can take us to another level.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:32 pm

Pace is good but not a prerequisite to a career —-our last two premiership captains with over 500 games between them relatively could not run out of sight in a fog. lol

Speed can be how quick you see the best option and react

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:14 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

I believe your doubts are certainly warranted though it's still to soon make any definitive calls on him given his injury history and lack of exposure at AFL level to date.

From memory he completed the majority of the preseason last year like he will do again so hopefully that will hold him in good stead for the coming season and we will have a greater understanding of his worth moving forward at it's completion.

While injuries have set his football development back no doubt it should be remembered he's 22 now so we should be seeing the results of body strength development over many preseasons at least and this is one advantage he should have over someone only entering their second year in the AFL system.

My biggest criticism so far is that he doesn't look to hurt the opposition enough with his possessions, he takes the safe option all to often and tends to go wide and/or short with his kicking in particular.

Someone should hand him a highlights video of James Clement as inspiration for the type of player we'd love for him to become.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:29 pm

Matt is an interesting story as I recall prior to 2013 Draft I had watched SAFL GF and being blown away with BOG in premiership side—his name Aish and said get this kid
Brizzy got Aish and we got Shaz who got great wraps but our boy had a horrible run with leg injury

They were both top picks who we now have —surely one will go on to be a gun

mudlark 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:55 pm

BazBoy wrote:
Matt is an interesting story as I recall prior to 2013 Draft I had watched SAFL GF and being blown away with BOG in premiership side—his name Aish and said get this kid
Brizzy got Aish and we got Shaz who got great wraps but our boy had a horrible run with leg injury

They were both top picks who we now have —surely one will go on to be a gun

BOTH will be Collingwood Guns.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:38 pm

Agility Agility Agility. I hope he is getting all of the running, strength and conditioning into his legs to give him more penetration in his kicking, ability to turn quicker than the QE2 and improve his closing speed.

I guess time shall tell in what is a defining season for him.

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:02 am

Shaz improved with every game last year, I expected him to have a big preseason, but he never got a chance to show his wares, absolutely $£$%^%%$ idiotic coaching. And where the hell is Daicos? Played great in 2nd half against GWS, tackled like a lion, Not even here today.What about Kirby? Brown2?

Suckley has no clue how to Handle young players, unless they are perfect & don't need help. This list should have played finals last 3 years. Suckley should do well at Freo, he's the biggest anchor any club has ever had to wear. I seriously can't see how he'd get a gig as a deputy assistant to the boot studder at any other club.
Oh well, when he earns us our 3rd spoon we'll get a gun player, and hopefully decent, (adequate will do) coach.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
E 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:52 am

35forever wrote:
Shaz improved with every game last year, I expected him to have a big preseason, but he never got a chance to show his wares, absolutely $£$%^%%$ idiotic coaching. And where the hell is Daicos? Played great in 2nd half against GWS, tackled like a lion, Not even here today.What about Kirby? Brown2?

Suckley has no clue how to Handle young players, unless they are perfect & don't need help. This list should have played finals last 3 years. Suckley should do well at Freo, he's the biggest anchor any club has ever had to wear. I seriously can't see how he'd get a gig as a deputy assistant to the boot studder at any other club.
Oh well, when he earns us our 3rd spoon we'll get a gun player, and hopefully decent, (adequate will do) coach.

Oh boy. Mr Outsider is back and he knows EVERYTHING!!!!

I love that we handled Scharenberg this way and prioritized building his fitness base to risking a Goldsack like injury (or worse, a Freeman or Scharenberg like injury from years back). There is no magical way to handle a guy that is finishing his first proper pre-season after losing three seasons to recurring foot and knee problems.

I do know that intense exertion and contact when muscles are fatigued causes injuries. Its a FACT!! He plays when is ready and we hope he comes back stronger in the long run. No guarantee, but i'm ok with a slow build. I'm pretty sure he got a full pre-season in which is fantastic.

In the US, young pitchers cant play a full season. Its just a proven fact (at least now it is). Coaches who said - just let 'em play - are now all out of the league after so many of them broke down from over use at too young an age. 35Forever, you should go the way of those old coaches.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93, 94  Next
Page 92 of 94   

Jump to: