Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Pies down Giants - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

mosig wrote:
Really enjoyable game... contested, end to end - great to watch.

Lots of players to talk about... but if you are watching the tape again, check out the contest between Elliot and Shaw on the boundary. Elliot flys for the mark then comes to ground, hurdles Shaw then taps the ball along through his legs trying to get away. Nothing comes of it, but if you want a little highlight package of how quick his brain is ticking.. check it out. Also, his delivery to Cloke (and other forwards) is elite.... not since Didak at his best have our forwards enjoyed silver platter service.

Also, a lot of people mentioning Adams average kicking... I didn't notice it (in the context of the game) thought he just played very well.

His kicking is average. Mind you, that's a big improvement from last year. Combine average kicking with good ball winning ability and defensive work and you've got a pretty good midfielder, albeit no star. I'd say he's more Shane O'Bree than Luke Ball, but that's not an insult. Cheesy was a good player for us for a while.

Sir Alan of Didak Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:57 pm

Nice write-up Boot, but I have to disagree with you on one point...Adam Treloar. I reckon he's the best of the GWS youngsters and the most Pendlebury-like player in the league...aside form the great man himself. A complete player, both inside and out. If we could land him, I for one would be very happy. No way in the world GWS will let this bloke walk...
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:11 am

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
mosig wrote:
Really enjoyable game... contested, end to end - great to watch.

Lots of players to talk about... but if you are watching the tape again, check out the contest between Elliot and Shaw on the boundary. Elliot flys for the mark then comes to ground, hurdles Shaw then taps the ball along through his legs trying to get away. Nothing comes of it, but if you want a little highlight package of how quick his brain is ticking.. check it out. Also, his delivery to Cloke (and other forwards) is elite.... not since Didak at his best have our forwards enjoyed silver platter service.

Also, a lot of people mentioning Adams average kicking... I didn't notice it (in the context of the game) thought he just played very well.

His kicking is average. Mind you, that's a big improvement from last year. Combine average kicking with good ball winning ability and defensive work and you've got a pretty good midfielder, albeit no star. I'd say he's more Shane O'Bree than Luke Ball, but that's not an insult. Cheesy was a good player for us for a while.

His kicking was excellent today. He's a much better kick than either Ball or O'Bree ever were, and he gets more of the pill. He had one terrible clanger today, which almost cost us a goal, but if you watch it closely you'll see that he was actually heavily bumped as he kicked it. He was easily BOG today.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:30 am

His kicking wasn't hopeless today but for a guy who didn't win a single clearance and had a lot of outside ball (28 of his possessions were uncontested), 50% disposal efficiency isn't "excellent". As it happens, he hit about as many Collingwood targets over the afternoon as Nathan Brown (14 disposals at 100% efficiency). He played a good, solid game today but he still needs to improve his decision-making and kicking accuracy. He's getting better but he's still got a good distance to travel.

I'm not being harsh, by the way - he was well and truly amongst our best - but there's got to be room for realistic appraisal.
Brenny 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:46 am

I'm watching the game now.

Tyson Goldsack.

The last three or so weeks, he seems to always be those few steps off his man and is actually coming across as a very average 1v1 defender who is really starting to annoy the crap out of me.

Anybody else noticing this?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:14 am

He got beaten in almost every one on one contest today and seemed to lack closing speed. I think he's probably carrying something.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:09 am

-like a big log? He looks slow as a wet week. And defeated. Anyone else notice old Swannie walk pass and tap his arse a couple of times in the last when he was standing a mark of a certain goal? Something is up for sure.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:38 am

Yesterday was the first time since round 1, 2012 that Goldie hasn't laid a tackle (for him, that was 65 games ago). Since he lays 3 tackles per game, on average over his career, that suggests that he wasn't covering the ground like he normally would. Of course, watching him trail his opponent by two yards to virtually every marking contest all day is a bit of hint, too.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:38 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
His kicking wasn't hopeless today but for a guy who didn't win a single clearance and had a lot of outside ball (28 of his possessions were uncontested), 50% disposal efficiency isn't "excellent". As it happens, he hit about as many Collingwood targets over the afternoon as Nathan Brown (14 disposals at 100% efficiency). He played a good, solid game today but he still needs to improve his decision-making and kicking accuracy. He's getting better but he's still got a good distance to travel.

I'm not being harsh, by the way - he was well and truly amongst our best - but there's got to be room for realistic appraisal.

Adams gut running, running to create an option for others & toughness in contests is superb. Just lets himself down with his disposal & decision making at times

Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:40 am

Brenny wrote:
I'm watching the game now.

Tyson Goldsack.

The last three or so weeks, he seems to always be those few steps off his man and is actually coming across as a very average 1v1 defender who is really starting to annoy the crap out of me.

Anybody else noticing this?

I wouldn't mind Reid coming in for him and basically playing the Maxwell role, which he'd be fantastic at.

Someone else would have to take kick ins, but given that Goldy just boots it as far as he can 9 times out of 10, someone should be able to do it.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:41 am

think positive wrote:
-like a big log? He looks slow as a wet week. And defeated. Anyone else notice old Swannie walk pass and tap his arse a couple of times in the last when he was standing a mark of a certain goal? Something is up for sure.

I didn't notice that but the way he manned the mark when his opposite number was shooting for goal seemed listless & conspicuously so.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:44 am

watt price tully wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Adams gut running, running to create an option for others & toughness in contests is superb. Just lets himself down with his disposal & decision making at times

Yes, I had him second-best on ground for Collingwood - and the best of our midfielders (I thought Brown was BOG for his astounding game on Cameron) - I just don't think there's any point pretending that he is perfect. Only Pendles is perfect.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:24 am

Overall a very good performance.
Many views on here who was best/worst and many very valid points on who's in or out in coming weeks.
My personal thoughts are we are in much better position than the same time 12 months ago.
We have players coming back from injury pushing hard for selection instead of players going down injured.
Reid and Greenwood experience will be valuable in coming weeks.
Goldy may need a rest has been off the boil past couple weeks.
Seedy needs some confidence so a couple weeks in the 2's won't hurt him.
Wits showed today he is as good as Grundy (in different ways) but proved we have 2 quality ruckman
Jesse we have been waiting for a performance like this congrats on a 100 games
Adams showed today his value. If he can keep,improving his disposal than folks we have a champ in the making
Pendles in just going about being in the top 5 players in the comp again he is a marvel
Swanny is showing signs of the 2010/11 form his disposal is not what it used to be but he is impacting the game in other ways laying his body for a bump more for other players now
Langdon is a gem and a real footballer has the brains and smarts to make the correct decision more often than not
Frosty has been very solid still makes a couple errors but his toughness at th contest is unquestionable
Browny showed today again his value he closed down Cameron like a pro
Oxley is improving so quickly atm its scary how good he can get
Cloke the past 2 weeks has been huge. Hope he runs McPahrlen for miles he will kill him like Jack Reiwoldt did 2 weeks ago
Elliott was a bit quieter today but has been huge this year
Fas played his best game but still needs to improve in some aspects but getting better with his work rate
DeGoey for his first year has been fair. He certainly has talent but might need s week or two in the reggies to get some more time to learn.
Sidey since his return hasn't been as good as expected. I'm hoping he wasn't quite right when he came back and is slowly getting there. We will need him at his best in coming weeks to be a chance of winning
Varcoe has surprised me I wasn't super keen on his arrival like some but he has shown true value and has clean hands which is important.

I know I've forgotten a few but that's just off the top of my head from watching yesterday's game.
As for trades you have to give to receive (look at last year Beams deal now looks like a huge win for us)
I don't want to trade anyone under 23/24 really unless we have multiple like players of equal skill set so for mine Witts is off the table.
I would toss up players like Young White Goldy Blair Fasalo and possibly Sidebottom IF and only IF we needed something to sweeten the pot chasing a big fish like a Dangerfield otherwise keep our powder dry for another year (2017) when I think we will be having our real run at being a premiership contender for several years.
Boot 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:25 am

Sir Alan of Didak wrote:
Nice write-up Boot, but I have to disagree with you on one point...Adam Treloar. I reckon he's the best of the GWS youngsters and the most Pendlebury-like player in the league...aside form the great man himself. A complete player, both inside and out. If we could land him, I for one would be very happy. No way in the world GWS will let this bloke walk...

I have heard a lot about the potential of Adam Trelaor and that Collingwood was into him in a big way, and yesterday I went to the game to have a close look at what the hype was all about. I have to say I was not overly impressed. To me Shiel and Whitfield looked better footballers. If Collingwood does persue him then I hope they don't unhinge the salary balance for an import vs home grown talent such as Williams, Lanford, Oxley, Grundy, Witts etc.

Same about Sharenberg who has had a lot of press about his great potential but in the games of VFL I have seen there is not that much to get excited about yet, Glad to hear if I am missing something here?

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:25 am

The most pleasing thing about the win is we beat the AFL. GWS are not a Club, they have been designed for TV audiences to secure the lucrative contract and have been given everything to win, geez even the Umpires favour them in every contest. This is a club that is financial backed by the AFL. The Board is appointed by the AFL so I would suggest we have beaten the AFL at their own game. The AFL will be pissed off and no doubt hold an emergency meeting this morning to discuss how they can help GWS even more.

On the game, some of our disposals at times were annoying and in saying that we win the contested ball. With such a young team in that is fantastic for the future.

Note: Ryan Griffin reminds me of ex teammates Nathan Eagleton. Doesn't win the hard ball and is always getting that easy kick out the back for his stats. What an overpaid Spud, I noticed he was credited with one tackle, seriously tackling a bloke who is already on the ground doesn't count. The Bulldogs are better off without that selfish Spud.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11   

Jump to: