Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Broomhead at AFL Level - Dissapointing

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
No, Dave, he doesn't "coast" - he's just not strong enough yet to impose himself on the game.

I thought that bringing Broomhead into the seniors after the Coburg game was a strange decision - shortly after that game (which I attended), I wrote the following about him:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Broomy remains a difficult mix of the excellent and the not-so-good. I don't think his attack on the ball in dispute or the opponent with the ball is quite effective enough - he still doesn't look to me to be sufficiently strong to play consistent 4-quarter AFL footy. Certainly not saying he won't get there (I think he will) but he just doesn't yet have the physique to do the defensive things - a few of the Coburg centre clearances were straight through where he was and a couple resulted in easy goals.

Similarly, I think his physique prevents him from doing what he'd like to do in the Seniors. I think the selectors are excited by his football skills and want him to develop at AFL level but I think he's too slight, still, to deal with an AFL pack.

Kennedy, by contrast, looked like a contested ball machine in the same VFL game. I thought he was easily best on ground that day and it was no surprise to see him get 4 clearances in the Seniors yesterday (one behind the Great Dane's team-high of 5 and equal with Pendles), despite his limited game time.

Watching that VFL game, the selection decision should have been a no-brainer - Kennedy for Adams. Kennedy is now AFL-ready and Broomhead isn't. I have no idea which of them is the "better footballer" but it's quite obvious which of them should be brought into the Senior side if a mid-fielder is required.

Well said, Dave stop overreacting for the sake of a thread mate. Some players take longer than others, then they just burst onto the AFL scene big time! small body and needs time to develop, in time Kennedy & Broomhead in particular will be A graders, no doubt!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:26 am

For someone who has a pathological aversion to fruit & vegetables Broomhead has an uncanny resemblance to a Vegan.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:03 am

Tannin wrote:
Meat is a very unhealthy diet. Apparently the club has been working to improve his nutrition, but starting from a spectacularly poor base. A certain amount of meat is fine, but it is completely unnecessary to good health and high performance (look at champions like Peter Siddle) and without appropriate fresh fruit and vegetables to go with it will kill you eventually.

Okay maybe Emu then!!!

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:25 am

E wrote:
Its odd that the post comes after Monday's game (in which I thought Broomhead clearly proved that he has the class to play at this level!

All he needs is to work on building strength as he isn't yet physically strong enough to play in the middle and compete with the more mature bodies. I understand he may have had some injuries which have made building muscle mass slightly harder for him.

Yep, I agree. First half was fine. Faded out of the game after half time but he's still young and inexperienced. Why do people continually have the expectation that these kids will all automatically be stars just because they've been high draft picks. Yes, some players do have an impact early in their careers but the vast majority take considerable time to learn their craft.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:44 am

Ah, the fickle, fickle scribes on Nick's Bulletin Board! How quick we are to jump off the player bandwagon. Over summer, Broomy was going to be the next big thing. The boy needs time and is perhaps developing more slowly than we hoped, but he's still a baby.

I count myself in here by the way. I was scathing of Crisp's game whilst watching live on Monday. Gave him a real spray in the After Game thread and then watched the game again last night. He wasn't as bad as I thought. Once the emotion and nerves were gone, I could appreciate his work a little more. He was certainly well beaten, but he wasn't thrashed as I claimed.

Similarly, Broomhead wasn't as bad as I first thought. He just needs time to adjust to AFL pace. The little gives, the clean takes off the ground just didn't work for him on Monday. He's half a second off just now and half a second is all it takes, as Rioli learned in the Sydney game. Similarly, De Goey is just that little bit off the pace. His little gives are off too; one error led directly to a Demon goal in the third quarter. He's a stronger boy though and a competative beast. De Goey loves the physical contest and he will beef up. He's already very strong in the hips and strong over the ball. I don't think Broomhead will ever be a muscled-monster-mid or even a lean, well-put-together package like Taylor Adams, but he will be the clever, smooth finisher, given time. A couple of Adelaide clubs agree.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:48 am

Don't call me "baby". I can't believe the boy would do that.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:17 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
Ah, the fickle, fickle scribes on Nick's Bulletin Board! How quick we are to jump off the player bandwagon. Over summer, Broomy was going to be the next big thing. The boy needs time and is perhaps developing more slowly than we hoped, but he's still a baby.

I count myself in here by the way. I was scathing of Crisp's game whilst watching live on Monday. Gave him a real spray in the After Game thread and then watched the game again last night. He wasn't as bad as I thought. Once the emotion and nerves were gone, I could appreciate his work a little more. He was certainly well beaten, but he wasn't thrashed as I claimed.

Similarly, Broomhead wasn't as bad as I first thought. He just needs time to adjust to AFL pace. The little gives, the clean takes off the ground just didn't work for him on Monday. He's half a second off just now and half a second is all it takes, as Rioli learned in the Sydney game. Similarly, De Goey is just that little bit off the pace. His little gives are off too; one error led directly to a Demon goal in the third quarter. He's a stronger boy though and a competative beast. De Goey loves the physical contest and he will beef up. He's already very strong in the hips and strong over the ball. I don't think Broomhead will ever be a muscled-monster-mid or even a lean, well-put-together package like Taylor Adams, but he will be the clever, smooth finisher, given time. A couple of Adelaide clubs agree.

You'd be well forgiven on crisp. I myself thought he had a shocker at the game, only to eat my words when I got home , watched the replay and realised all the little things he did in combination with the quality of player he was playing on in jones ( an almost impossible guy to negate).
Taking all into account he actually faired pretty well.

On broomy..... hes entitled to a quiet day. Just a kid who has time on his side to build into a good footballer. Swans slow progression early on should never be forgotten who considering our young blokes and where they are at.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:44 pm

Defender wrote:
Tannin wrote:
Meat is a very unhealthy diet. Apparently the club has been working to improve his nutrition, but starting from a spectacularly poor base. A certain amount of meat is fine, but it is completely unnecessary to good health and high performance (look at champions like Peter Siddle) and without appropriate fresh fruit and vegetables to go with it will kill you eventually.

Peter Siddle turned to shit when he gave up meat.

He looks bloody weird as well.

Either he's had some work done or plays with a banana inserted up his anus.

Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:34 am

Dave Dave Dave, you put these kids on such a pedestal that eventually only the true superstars don't let you down. But I guess it's out with the old and it with the new with you innit
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:35 am

Give him five seasons and six pre-seasons and he'll be flying. He has the skill. As long as he has the desire and work ethic he'll be fine.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:15 am

Dangles wrote:
Give him five seasons and six pre-seasons and he'll be flying. He has the skill. As long as he has the desire and work ethic he'll be fine.

Had an interrupted preseason so hardly surprising the way he is playing. Still confident he will play 200 games for us. Just needs a good go at it.
Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:52 am

A certain rising star nomination says this post deserves a big bump.

Broomy says: "DTM, you were wrong!!!"

TK Leo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:21 am

Cuthbert Collingwood wrote:
A certain rising star nomination says this post deserves a big bump.

Broomy says: "DTM, you were wrong!!!"

My thoughts went to this post too when saw he was nominated, the kid goes alright. And he is just that, still a kid. Plenty of Upside.

Makes me laugh sometimes the armchair critics.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:57 am

First time last Sunday that I saw a player who could make it.
Thank God for that.
As I said in the first page of this thread.
Keep playing him!

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:04 am

Played really well early in the year also - so this is not a once off comparisons to Sidey seem pretty right IMO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7   

Jump to: