Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Broomhead at AFL Level - Dissapointing

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps back to Uncle Dale's place this weekend for a visit...
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:49 pm

I thought Kennedy should have been selected ahead of him before the game and nothing I saw changed my mind.

Kennedy seriously needs some full games in the seniors. If he's the sub again next week, I'll spew.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:37 pm

There is a telling moment early in the second quarter v Melbourne. At the centre bounce after the first goal, a Melbourne mid gets the pill, only to have Broomhead come in tackling at a million miles an hour. No shortage of determination there .... trouble is the Melbourne player just stands like a rock and Broomy flattens himself like a grasshopper on a car window. Bit of a straight jaw to the left there.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:46 pm

^^Or in the same game where "hard man" Viney attempted a hit on Broomhead that ended with the same result Very Happy.

I disagree that Broomhead is too slight for the AFL, there's quite a few around the league of similar build, it's just that as a young outside player with very limited experience it's going to take time before he plays at a consistent level.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:55 pm

Haven't seen that bit yet, Inky. In any case, as I'm sure you will agree, itt isn't about being slight or solid, it's about developing that hardness, match-craft and resilience that good players have. The trend these days is not to try to force players into a single universal body type but to make the most of their particular gifts, recognising that more bulk isn't aways better and a few kgs less can make quite a difference to your leap, your pace, or your agility.

Michael Tuck was a string bean and no-one ever called him soft. Billy Picken the same. You don't have to have thighs like Bertha, you just need to learn that knack of resilience. Most better players develop it after 20 or 30 games. Some - De Goey is an example - seem to be born with it.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:31 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
^^Or in the same game where "hard man" Viney attempted a hit on Broomhead that ended with the same result Very Happy.

I disagree that Broomhead is too slight for the AFL, there's quite a few around the league of similar build, it's just that as a young outside player with very limited experience it's going to take time before he plays at a consistent level.

You can disagree all you wish but even the VFL opposition midfielders look to go through the space he's guarding. That should tell you something.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:19 pm

Just finished watching the replay and the commentators (Maxwell) talk about Broomhead and his struggle with injury and difficulty putting on muscle since being at the Pies. This obviously explains why he's so thin. Did he have glandular fever at some point?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:32 pm

Broomhead reminds me a bit of a young Sidebottom though not as accomplished at the same age.

At present he seems very much a player who needs to be able to find the ball running into some space.

Like Sidebottom he has a way of just floating around the ground and in his best games he's been able to mimic Sideys talent to find space amongst the congestion so to be used by his teammates with his polish with ball in hand then shining through.

In contrast Kennedy is more a contested ball winner and likely to fight or find his way through the traffic or read the ball off hands and burst from the stoppage.

perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:36 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

You can disagree all you wish but even the VFL opposition midfielders look to go through the space he's guarding. That should tell you something.

Dead on again. In the third qtr at Coburg I remember two or three times their midfielders just crashed straight through Broomy deliberately in a straight line to goal from centre clearances.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:00 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

I didn't say he wasn't slight. He is and that is a weakness just as it is for a Seedsman. I just don't see it as something that prevents him from playing or explains a lack of output. All outside players will have periods where they struggle to get it especially early in their career (Aish at Brisbane is another going through this as well), and when they do get going and start playing well they are fairly easy to shut down until they work out how to deal with the attention (Seedsman again an example).

As Swoop mentioned, Sidebottom is an example of a player just as slight but able to play at senior level from the beginning. Broomhead is similarly skilled but not as good in close as Sidebottom and maybe without the same ball winning ability or elite stamina at this stage.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:51 pm

Broomhead has a fussy diet as mentioned in an interview earlier in the year. Hates bananas, vegetables and a tad protein deficient. COME ON WESTPAC CENTRE and sports science, feed the man meat!
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:00 am

Meat is a very unhealthy diet. Apparently the club has been working to improve his nutrition, but starting from a spectacularly poor base. A certain amount of meat is fine, but it is completely unnecessary to good health and high performance (look at champions like Peter Siddle) and without appropriate fresh fruit and vegetables to go with it will kill you eventually.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:14 am

Tannin wrote:
Meat is a very unhealthy diet. Apparently the club has been working to improve his nutrition, but starting from a spectacularly poor base. A certain amount of meat is fine, but it is completely unnecessary to good health and high performance (look at champions like Peter Siddle) and without appropriate fresh fruit and vegetables to go with it will kill you eventually.

Peter Siddle turned to shit when he gave up meat.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
E 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:54 am

Its odd that the post comes after Monday's game (in which I thought Broomhead clearly proved that he has the class to play at this level!

All he needs is to work on building strength as he isn't yet physically strong enough to play in the middle and compete with the more mature bodies. I understand he may have had some injuries which have made building muscle mass slightly harder for him.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:43 am

I think Dwyer offers more ATM, but I can understand the club wanting to get games into Broomy, I think Broomy struggles a bit in wet conditions, Brooms like dry surfaces, if his name was Mophead things would be different, seriously though I think he's a top of the ground player ATM, tight contested games aren't really his go.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7   

Jump to: