Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Domestic violence is not just about misogyny

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I rarely leave Chambers, these days (day or night) and, since security has improved, there is little chance of the poor (or instructing solicitors from less-desirable firms) getting in unexpectedly.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:46 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I agree. I rarely leave Chambers, these days (day or night) and, since security has improved, there is little chance of the poor (or instructing solicitors from less-desirable firms) getting in unexpectedly.

you should watch better call Saul!! Wink

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:36 pm

Is it just me, or is Pies4shaw sounding more and more like Rumpole every day? I keep expecting him to call for another glass of claret and break out into sonorous phrases from Henry Vth or Paradise Regained.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:41 pm

Not Rumpole, Tannin. I have never tried a criminal case. Strictly commercial work for nice people.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:54 pm

Hmmmm .... so reading between the lines, you are pleading nolo contendere to the Milton, the Shakespeare, and most especially the claret, I take it. Smile
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:13 pm

think positive wrote:
i dont trust many people anymore when it comes to my girls! sad? yeah sure, i remember walking around Altona in the middle of the night, all the way to the beach and back at 3 in the morning, no worries, as a 16-18 year old (id sleep at friends houses with less strict parents!). but its not like that anymore.

This is an interesting example of how the media shapes perception. The fact is that the streets are probably safer now than they were back in the 'good old days' twenty, thirty, forty years ago. But a lot of people look at the increased (and increasingly sensationalistic) reporting of violent crime and quite understandably presume that the exact opposite is true.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:23 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
i dont trust many people anymore when it comes to my girls! sad? yeah sure, i remember walking around Altona in the middle of the night, all the way to the beach and back at 3 in the morning, no worries, as a 16-18 year old (id sleep at friends houses with less strict parents!). but its not like that anymore.

This is an interesting example of how the media shapes perception. The fact is that the streets are probably safer now than they were back in the 'good old days' twenty, thirty, forty years ago. But a lot of people look at the increased (and increasingly sensationalistic) reporting of violent crime and quite understandably presume that the exact opposite is true.

I'm pretty sure there wasn't as many ice crazed lunatics roaming the streets back in the day. That's not media shaping anything, hasn't been sensationalised, it's a fact. Ice wasn't around. And people on it tend to have lunatic tendencies. Look at them the wrong way and you're done. I don't think the streets are as safe as they were, and they're far from safer, IMHO
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:25 pm

David wrote:
The fact is that the streets are probably safer now than they were back in the 'good old days' twenty, thirty, forty years ago.

I presume you have some evidence for this outlandish claim.

(PS: I bet two things. (a) That David presents some "evidence", and (b) that the figures he presents are in fact nothing of the kind, merely wishful thinking sprinkled heavily over some rubbery and out-of-context figures of doubtful relevance and less use. First beer is on me next time I meet David, or vice-versa if he surprises me and makes a decent case.)

(PPS: none of this is to deny his previous point (and I think Wokko made it also) that stranger danger is not and never has been a particular problem for women. It is overwhelmingly men who get killed or maimed by strangers in the street; women mostly get the same awful treatment from people they know well (albeit women area good deal less endangered overall than men are - most victims are of course male, but nobody ever mentions that except - to his considerable credit - Wokko in the odd stopped-clock moment).)

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:32 pm

luvdids wrote:
David wrote:
think positive wrote:

I'm pretty sure there wasn't as many ice crazed lunatics roaming the streets back in the day. That's not media shaping anything, hasn't been sensationalised, it's a fact. Ice wasn't around. And people on it tend to have lunatic tendencies. Look at them the wrong way and you're done. I don't think the streets are as safe as they were, and they're far from safer, IMHO

(1) Ice is only one major factor.

(2) A second huge factor is the relentless diet of desentising violence presented on and glorified by TV, movies and other so-called "entertainments". This is the first generation to grow up from the cradle on such vile poison.

(3) Third big factor is energy drinks and assorted other uppers. Back in the day, if you got really, really drunk you spewed up and passed out. Now they dose themselves up so far on energy drinks and uppers that they can't pass out, and they can be mindlessly drunk and still extremely dangerous.

(4) Last factor is probably largely a consequence of (2) above. People don't punch someone up and walk away anymore. Much more likely now to knock someone down and then carry on kicking and using weapons until life is extinct or normal life is no longer possible because of sickening injuries.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:00 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Capital idea.

With that new fangled internet (or even with a phone if you want to go low tech) you can get pretty much everything you want delivered.

Unfortunately I've yet to find an establishment that will deliver hookers, food, pharmaceuticals and alcohol all at once which means at least 2 calls. Mad

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:19 pm

Tannin wrote:
luvdids wrote:

Interesting reading this, as ice/meth/meth derivatives don't get anything like the same news/social coverage here in the UK. I wonder whether this is about different news priorities or a different level of meth usage in Australia, and if the latter, why it is different ? Different supply chains ?

PTID, if you read this, interested to know if you notice this too - it could just be the papers I read (The Times is not always street-level...) Wink

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:13 pm

Tannin wrote:
luvdids wrote:
David wrote:
think positive wrote:

(2) A second huge factor is the relentless diet of desentising violence presented on and glorified by TV, movies and other so-called "entertainments". This is the first generation to grow up from the cradle on such vile poison.

(3) Third big factor is energy drinks and assorted other uppers. Back in the day, if you got really, really drunk you spewed up and passed out. Now they dose themselves up so far on energy drinks and uppers that they can't pass out, and they can be mindlessly drunk and still extremely dangerous.

(4) Last factor is probably largely a consequence of (2) above. People don't punch someone up and walk away anymore. Much more likely now to knock someone down and then carry on kicking and using weapons until life is extinct or normal life is no longer possible because of sickening injuries.

I'd say you nailed it.

There's always been "bad" people and the crimes were less reported 40 years ago so people probably felt safer than they actually were. But no doubt that the behaviour of people these days, for all the reasons you outlined plus probably more, means that it's a generally less safe society.

Point 4 is a classic example. Back in the day if 2 blokes got in a disagreement their mates would stand back and let them have a fair fight. If someone intervened it was to pull one person out of the fight. Nowdays the mates wait until 1 person hits the ground then all climb in with boots. I have zero respect for people who do that.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:14 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Capital idea.

With that new fangled internet (or even with a phone if you want to go low tech) you can get pretty much everything you want delivered.

Unfortunately I've yet to find an establishment that will deliver hookers, food, pharmaceuticals and alcohol all at once which means at least 2 calls. Mad

One has a Clerk to make calls out for one.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:15 pm

In general, I mean - not specifically for the sorts of undesirable things to which you might have referred.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:31 pm

Of course.

Here's hoping your clerk never has reason to use the footage from those hidden cams in your chambers. Wink Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: