Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Domestic violence is not just about misogyny

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost interest on line 4.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:30 pm

Wokko, fair go mate, no-one is going to bother reading that known, certifiable lunatic hate-bag. No-one. She may have (in this one instance, by some miracle) the most compelling and lucid argument ever, and it might (in the imagination of some acid-frazelled hippie) be carefully evidenced and watertight. Grant all of that, just for the sake of discussion. Now who the hell would ever bother reading it knowing the source? Seriously, anyone who knows anything has better things to do with his time. You might as well join a discussion on nuclear physics and start quoting the Bible. It just might be right, but who is ever going to take it seriously?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:43 pm

I said I was saving you the trouble.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:47 pm

You missed my point.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:51 pm

^ Superb articles from Rundle, as usual, David. Thanks. As my philosophy lecturer used to say, "anything significant that happens is usually overdetermined"... in other words, anything unusual tends to happen because many strands of causation twist together and become more powerful than the restraining forces. Trying to untwist them and blame one factor leads you into false certainties. So it is, I imagine, with DV. Poverty, physiology, the duality of a given relationship, specific provocation, anti-role models, access to weapons etc all bubble together until there is more than enough heat to make the pot boil.

Looking for a unicausal explanation is a fool's errand. We love the illusion of believing that inquiries and government can fix things - even personal things - for us. I'm sure it can make some difference on this issue, but probably less than we want to believe. In practical terms, remedial things like women's shelters, income support and counselling to support victims can no doubt help, but I'm less sure that prevention is amenable to government action.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:10 am

^That's a great term, Mugwump; now you've reminded me of it I'll try not to thrash it to death Razz Unlike when I was at uni, it's also used in empirical work now, not just radical philosophy.

This is a tricky one because people get trapped in needy relationships. No doubt economic independence can go a long way for women in every way imaginable. But that won't get at the emotionally-entwined cases, which of course a lot of domestic violence involves.

Again, I just wish the access to assistance was there for people from the outset, so family well-being checkups were as standard as medical insurance checkups. Not waiting until the signs are picked up by a social worker, but having them broached by a doctor from the word go as a matter of standard, diligent medical treatment. And, as discussed in the past, that would build on psychological well-being classes for kids from the first day of school.

We just don't take healthy psychology seriously until we see something broken or violent, so that's the problem I would be focusing on. I would make domestic violence a subset of open, everyday healthcare. People need the emotional fitness and a trusted professional to confide in, not a way-too-late-Jack billboard or legal approach. You've got to give both parties an everyday accessible route to treatment from the start of a relationship and early in life.

Related to the topic somewhat is the palpable fear of public space women have, which is quite upsetting to see as a citizen who enjoys the urban environment. It really is an unfair and unacceptable situation to have a huge swathe of the population unable to enjoy public space.

This has really been driven home to me since I started exercising around urban areas back in Korea, and now here in the UK. Women are constantly nervous and startled, and I now find myself changing sides of the street to avoid startling them, or I make sure I don't stay in their blind spot or whatever. The fear is palpable, and it's not just because I exercise in a Jason Voorhees hockey mask!

So this is also a sad and unacceptable fact. Yesterday afternoon I was mentally redesigning one of the walking paths I take for greater actual and perceived security.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:27 am

If you keep telling people they're going to get randomly attacked when they walk outside it's no surprise they're scared. A man is far more likely to be the victim of a random act of violence than a woman.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:34 am

Wokko wrote:
If you keep telling people they're going to get randomly attacked when they walk outside it's no surprise they're scared. A man is far more likely to be the victim of a random act of violence than a woman.

Yes, TV and news distorts all manner of statistics, agreed, so that's a major part of it. But we have to face the fact that the fear itself is debilitating beyond stats classes.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:39 am

^ We are told all the time nowadays that a woman is far more likely go be raped or assaulted by someone she knows. But I wonder if the logical corollary of that message is getting through, that incidents like Jill Meagher's are as rare as hen's teeth.

The media can do a great job at convincing people that they're less safe than they actually are. But I probably also need to acknowledge that I don't know what it's like to be catcalled, approached or leered at on a regular basis.

Unlike many talking heads in the media right now, however, I think the link between that behaviour and domestic violence is quite tenuous. They're really quite separate issues. I think Rundle makes that case well in the articles above, albeit obliquely.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:27 am

pietillidie wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Yes, TV and news distorts all manner of statistics, agreed, so that's a major part of it. But we have to face the fact that the fear itself is debilitating beyond stats classes.

Um. Yeah. Of course. But your point is?

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:32 am

David wrote:
We are told all the time nowadays that a woman is far more likely go be raped or assaulted by someone she knows. But I wonder if the logical corollary of that message is getting through, that incidents like Jill Meagher's are as rare as hen's teeth.

The media can do a great job at convincing people that they're less safe than they actually are. But I probably also need to acknowledge that I don't know what it's like to be catcalled, approached or leered at on a regular basis.

Unlike many talking heads in the media right now, however, I think the link between that behaviour and domestic violence is quite tenuous. They're really quite separate issues. I think Rundle makes that case well in the articles above, albeit obliquely.

Yes, that latter bit is not my interest.

Going back to the statistical view, the problem you have is that discussion ignores the hard parameters of cognitive science. The evolutionary brain is heavily geared towards certain types of risk calculations, which of course is why terrorism is so effective.

Humans are very blind to some black swan events (i.e., very low-risk, very high-impact events), and hyper-vigilant when it comes to certain other black swan events; the calculations are targeted to specific domains of thought and behaviour.

Thus, the longer a market rises, the less worried and more buoyant people get when in fact statistically they should be getting more worried as the chance of a market drop increases over time, not decreases.

However, when it comes to personal safety—and personal physical safety in particular—brain and body naturally err extremely heavily towards hypervigilance.

These are not trivial or possibly even practically trainable reactions. The brain runs the calculations automatically: No one else is about; no one can see me; I can't outrun that gang of youths. You would have to damage your own brain to turn off the calculations because the black swan event is abduction/rape/death or whatever primal-cum-social form you like.

And, of course, that is why predators tend to be insiders; that's how they get past the extremely effective human physical safety hyper-vigilance.

This is why I support vigorous counter-terrorism policing despite being very progressive; it counters the black swan calculations. At the same time, the security apparatus is paid to secure at the level of statistics: It's their rational third-party job to play the numbers for the good of the numbers. As a security suit in an office somewhere, you know where the dangers lie statistically and as a third-party expert can approach them accordingly.

But, and this is the salient point in all of these discussions, average people can't live life as a third-party embodiment of themselves.

So, you've hit the hard wall of the evolutionary brain, and that's what makes so much of the pop discussion verbal chess consisting of words and counter words that have no bearing on the actual problem.

Of course, the objective is to educate to the numbers when and where feasible. So, people could easily become more vigilant where the statistical risks lie, such as the risk from unaccountable associates (or whatever the technical numbers show), because the desire to be open and friendly is much, much easier for people to override than ancient black swan life-or-death risk management calculations driven by the amygdala.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:54 am

David wrote:
^ We are told all the time nowadays that a woman is far more likely go be raped or assaulted by someone she knows. But I wonder if the logical corollary of that message is getting through, that incidents like Jill Meagher's are as rare as hen's teeth.

Hens teeth don't exist, and Anita Cobby certainly did
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/west/why-we-must-never-forget-anita-cobby-sister-continues-to-fight-violence-against-women/story-fngr8i5s-1227183663420

As did http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/dutch-tourist-kidnapped-in-australia-raped-and-beaten-in-six-week-ordeal-10146111.html

Also this poor guy.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-04/trio-charged-with-torture-and-rape-over-noosa-abduction/6279668

I'm more than happy for both my girls to be scared by the thought, and therefore, more vigilant.

Certainly though, guys are more likely to be king hit when they go out, apparently even bullies fear being labeled even more gutless than they already are.

I don't think the fear is debilitating, I think it's a good thing. Especially at night. Criminals and thugs love the cover of darkness.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:11 am

^ I think it's good to be vigilant, certainly, but paranoia is not a healthy state. You're still probably something like 100 times more likely to be killed in a car accident than raped or kidnapped by a stranger on the street after dark, yet we don't tell young men or women not to get behind the wheel.

As PTID says above, I think it's deeply sad that many women feel they don't have the freedom to exercise their basic right to be in public. Part of the solution to that is making public spaces safer and more respectful, but another part of the solution is to discourage paranoia.

KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:48 am

David wrote:

(I don't know what it's like to be catcalled, approached or leered at on a regular basis.)

Well I certainly do happens all the time!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:02 pm

David wrote:
^ I think it's good to be vigilant, certainly, but paranoia is not a healthy state. You're still probably something like 100 times more likely to be killed in a car accident than raped or kidnapped by a stranger on the street after dark, yet we don't tell young men or women not to get behind the wheel.

As PTID says above, I think it's deeply sad that many women feel they don't have the freedom to exercise their basic right to be in public. Part of the solution to that is making public spaces safer and more respectful, but another part of the solution is to discourage paranoia.

right now as the mother of a 20 year old and a 21 year old, both daughters, im really happy for them to be a bit paranoid, and every single time they get in a car, i say "drive carefully, watch out for morons" or something similar, and i pay thier phone bills so they feel free to text me "im here" whether they drove or caught the train!!

i dont trust many people anymore when it comes to my girls! sad? yeah sure, i remember walking around Altona in the middle of the night, all the way to the beach and back at 3 in the morning, no worries, as a 16-18 year old (id sleep at friends houses with less strict parents!). but its not like that anymore.

everytime junior goes to a night club, i dont sleep properly until shes either home, or has text-ed me from where she is staying. same as my eldest even when shes been at her boyfriends for a few days, they go out, she texts me when they get home.

i should add, if i had a son the same age, id probably be worse while they were in the actual club or coming out, so many $£$%^%%$ heroes out there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: