Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Taking out the legs

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

White actually showed a bit of bravery by diving head first and getting to the ball first while others were hanging out.

The rule was brought in for the cowards that slide in legs first for protection, with the potential to cause injury to an opponent. The 2 most notable exponents - Lindsay Thomas and Adam Goodes.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:08 pm

It's one of those rule changes that leads to a lot of interpretation and with that comes a lot of inconsistency.

Of course the Grundy one was a clear and total f*** up.

They got at least 3 or 4 shots on goal from within f50 today from questionable to downright wrong decisions by the umpires.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:22 pm

King Monkey wrote:
White actually showed a bit of bravery by diving head first and getting to the ball first while others were hanging out.

The rule was brought in for the cowards that slide in legs first for protection, with the potential to cause injury to an opponent. The 2 most notable exponents - Lindsay Thomas and Adam Goodes.

Not only for that. Also for those who dive head first into a stationary player over the ball. Pendlebury almost had his leg broken in an incident like this a year or two back. The rule was brought in to stop any forceful contact to a player's legs.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:57 pm

The umpires need to umpire in the spirit of the game, not by the technicalities in the game. Grundy was pushed into the ground by the Melbourne player. I was expecting Grundy to get the free, not go the other way. If the player dives onto the ball he is not making the play, so why award him a free kick? So if he breaks his leg by diving onto the ball and getting hit from the player on top, then in my view that's his bad luck. The rule change last year was a mistake. The Collingwood FC needs to take this to the AFL and get the rule changed back, because it's bad for football and doesn't reward the play maker.
E 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:55 pm

WarrenerraW wrote:
This will start a new fashion now you watch. Players will begin to deliberately fall over their opponent knowing full well that the maggot scumps will pay them a free for taking out the legs. Just like selwood when he drops in a tackle in order to receive a free for high contact. Scumps have set the precedent now.

I would argue that is exactly what the Melbourne player did in this case. Once White was going to ground, all the demon player tried to do was create contact with his legs and fall on top of him.

This is going to end with a rule change (to unwind a rule change) once it gets exploited by players (just as is the case with the high tackle).

Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:06 am

Yeah it's such a big grey area this rule. I think that the player first to ball always should be rewarded despite whether someone falls on them or not. If they arrive at the same time then yes, the ball should go to the player who has his feet knocked out - but by arrive at the ball I mean contesting the ball, rather than just running in from the side like an idiot trying to draw the free.
DT 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:18 am

This is not a grey area. Kromelin stuffed up both the White and Grundy decisions. The rule is not that hard but the umpires are not officiating it well. The taking out the legs rule is designed to stop the Pendlebury broken leg incident caused by that mongrel Caddy. What White did is get first to the ball and the Melbourne player hit him high. Ridiculous. But then you have Jason Dumbskull saying the same thing in the Gold Coast game re White and his arch rocket scientist mate Jonathan 'I've had one too many concussions' Brown agreeing with him. Maybe we need to turnover some umpires to ones that use common sense!
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:23 am

Should it be a grey area?
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:35 am

Damien wrote:
Players confused
Umpires confused
Fans confused

This rule is seriously stuffed.

White got a shocker. Brody got a shocker.

and Makes it hard when you play for Collingwood

Museman 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:52 am

jackcass wrote:
Thought the White decision was the exact case the rule was altered to address. White could equally remained on his feet and pushed through with the ball in front of himself but chose to go to ground, which incidentally the worst place a player can be.

The Grundy decision was just a disgrace, especially as the umpire had a birds eye view.

It was a poor decision because he was actually facing away from the player, the rule is supposed to stop players sliding into players...he was first and he was sliding away, given the interpretation on this occasion all you have to do is make contact with your legs to any player on the ground and you should get a free...thats f@ken stupid.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:12 am

DT wrote:
This is not a grey area. Kromelin stuffed up both the White and Grundy decisions. The rule is not that hard but the umpires are not officiating it well. The taking out the legs rule is designed to stop the Pendlebury broken leg incident caused by that mongrel Caddy. What White did is get first to the ball and the Melbourne player hit him high. Ridiculous. But then you have Jason Dumbskull saying the same thing in the Gold Coast game re White and his arch rocket scientist mate Jonathan 'I've had one too many concussions' Brown agreeing with him. Maybe we need to turnover some umpires to ones that use common sense!

they asked the commentators on Monday (which included Nick Maxwell) whether any of them had a problem with the interpretation of the White decision and they all said "no problem".

Everyone agreed that the Grundy decision was a mistake but I feel for the umpire there if the umpire missed the push.

Museman 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:33 am

E wrote:
DT wrote:

they asked the commentators on Monday (which included Nick Maxwell) whether any of them had a problem with the interpretation of the White decision and they all said "no problem".

Everyone agreed that the Grundy decision was a mistake but I feel for the umpire there if the umpire missed the push.

Maxwell also said the free for holding to Cloke wasn't there....bit of over correcting on the balancing act me thinks....was a free kick all the way into next week and back.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:41 am

Yes, the special comments people appear to go neutral especially if the player concerned happens to wear black and white stripes. The Cloke decision was a free every day of the week precisely because every other forward has them paid every day of the week!
White free was 50/50 and although I think incorrect, I can see why an umpire might pay it.
The Grundy free was clearly wrong.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:21 am

Cuthbert Collingwood wrote:
The way I saw the White call was that he was in front and had eyes for the ball. The only query is whether he knew that was a risk for the other player, and I think he did know. For me it was a 50/50, and the fact it was in front of goal probably swung it their way.

On another point of rule, what about that howler with the Melbourne player throwing that ball back into goal. Oh how we laughed.

It was a great Gilette Moment in Sport! Laughing

www.facebook/the hybernators
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:57 pm

Museman wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Thought the White decision was the exact case the rule was altered to address. White could equally remained on his feet and pushed through with the ball in front of himself but chose to go to ground, which incidentally the worst place a player can be.

The Grundy decision was just a disgrace, especially as the umpire had a birds eye view.

It was a poor decision because he was actually facing away from the player, the rule is supposed to stop players sliding into players...he was first and he was sliding away, given the interpretation on this occasion all you have to do is make contact with your legs to any player on the ground and you should get a free...thats f@ken stupid.

The rule was meant to stop players taking other players out with contact below the knees which is what happened in this intance. White keeps his feet and the ball in front of him and it's a non-issue. Players diving in congestion do so at their peril. Happy that the decision against White was justifiable. We'll have to agree to disagree.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: