Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Windows 10 upgrade

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
And you will have them, TP. We install Classic Shell and Free Launch Bar on every system as routine, but I'll add Explorer++ just for you. Smile

Thank you for not calling it idiot proof! Wink

Cheers!

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:42 pm

John Wren wrote:
love how harvey normans is advertising laptops with an upgrade to windows10 free.

Harvey Norman caters to the People who know next to nothing about Computers.

That will make me NOT buy there laptops Wink

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:11 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
John Wren wrote:
love how harvey normans is advertising laptops with an upgrade to windows10 free.

Harvey Norman caters to the People who know next to nothing about Computers.

That will make me NOT buy there laptops Wink

but they sell keyboards with an anti-capitalised, unbolded ifs, which would really suit you Dave.

Just saying
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:03 pm

It gets worse and worse.

Windows 10 sends identifiable data to Microsoft despite privacy settings

Quote:
Windows 10 sends identifiable information to Microsoft, even if a user turns off its Bing search and Cortana features, and activates the software’s privacy-protection settings. Analysis by technology site Ars Technica has shown that Windows 10 still contacts Microsoft even when these features are disabled ..... other bits of information sent to and requested from Microsoft, including those associated with the company’s cloud storage service, OneDrive, and to an unknown content delivery network, have a user identification number attached. The machines used for the test were using a local login to Windows 10, not a Microsoft account, and had OneDrive, Cortana, live tiles and every other privacy-protecting setting active.

Windows 10 also downloaded new tile information from its MSN news and information service, despite the live-tile feature not being active on the test machine. The request had no identifiable information, but was also not encrypted.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/aug/13/windows-10-sends-identifiable-data-microsoft-despite-privacy-settings

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:20 pm

Tannin wrote:
It gets worse and worse.

Windows 10 sends identifiable data to Microsoft despite privacy settings

Quote:
Windows 10 sends identifiable information to Microsoft, even if a user turns off its Bing search and Cortana features, and activates the software’s privacy-protection settings. Analysis by technology site Ars Technica has shown that Windows 10 still contacts Microsoft even when these features are disabled ..... other bits of information sent to and requested from Microsoft, including those associated with the company’s cloud storage service, OneDrive, and to an unknown content delivery network, have a user identification number attached. The machines used for the test were using a local login to Windows 10, not a Microsoft account, and had OneDrive, Cortana, live tiles and every other privacy-protecting setting active.

Windows 10 also downloaded new tile information from its MSN news and information service, despite the live-tile feature not being active on the test machine. The request had no identifiable information, but was also not encrypted.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/aug/13/windows-10-sends-identifiable-data-microsoft-despite-privacy-settings

and People still want Windows 10 Shocked

Are Microsoft worked with the Government Spy Agencies for WIN 10?

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:36 am

thanks for the download links, Tannin. That classic shell is a ripper, so much better than the windows 10 start menu, what an absolute mess that is! Explorer++ is pretty cool, installed that too. Just a heads up on the other one, 'Explorer2', the free 'lite' version is for 32bit only. The 64bit is only offered free as 21 day trial versions of 'professional' and 'ultimate'. Anyone have an old link for XTree Gold? Very Happy
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:07 am

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Anyone have an old link for XTree Gold? Very Happy

I can do better than that, Frankie. http://ztree.com/

It's free to try and not expensive to buy.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:03 pm

Cheers for that Classic shell oh Tannic one, I just put that on my daughters windows 8.1 laptop, she utterly hates 8.1.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:06 pm

Can you tell me any gossip?
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:05 am

Tannin wrote:
FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Anyone have an old link for XTree Gold? Very Happy

I can do better than that, Frankie. http://ztree.com/

It's free to try and not expensive to buy.

ha, fantastic! I was only kidding but I'll give it a go, purely for nostalgic reasons. I wasn't proficient back then, just a curious, meddling noob with a knack for creating more than my fair share of bsd's. 20 years on with a fading memory and numerous lost cells, I'm not sure things will have improved! Embarassed

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:37 pm

Windows 10 is blowing people's Internet connections out of the water

Windows 10 "is hitting customers in remote locations with massive bill shocks by blowing out their data caps ..... one Internet user in the Cook Islands has already racked up a $NZ600 Internet bill for the month of August, thanks to Windows 10."

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/computers/fears-windows-10-will-blow-data-caps-20150817-gj0i98.html

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:59 pm

^

Same reporter also wrote this.

Quote:
Should you upgrade?
Yes. It's totally worth it.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/computers/windows-10-review-microsoft-delivers-a-welcome-upgrade-20150729-gimslh.html#ixzz3j3bJXRlC
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook[/quote]

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:42 pm

The tech reporters at major news outlets are nearly always utterly clueless, Stui. Why, I don't know, but it has been the case for as long as I can remember.*

Notice the similarity between the two articles: both simply regurgitate canned statements from some prior source, and do so uncritically.

Now notice the key difference between the two articles: one regurgitates a self-serving Microsoft PR department blurb. The other regurgitates statements from two highly regarded and technically well informed bodies: EFA and ACCAN.

Finally, notice a second differentiator: at the conclusion of the PR puff piece she draws an (ill-informed) conclusion. She does not do so at the end of the more recent article - which is actually good, as she lacks sufficient technical knowledge and experience to be able to draw valid conclusions on technical matters.

Disclaimer: I'm not attacking her in particular. She's clearly not very competent but mainstream press computer journalists seldom are. Quite likely she's better than most of them. There have been a few outstanding exceptions over the years, but they are very rare. If The Age actually wanted to improve the quality of her technical journalism they could second her to do six months work experience alongside me. (Or any other competent working techie with good teaching and communication skills.) There is no substitute for practical, hands-on experience.

* Which is to say for as long as the PC industry has existed. I first became involved with PCs years before there was such a thing as a computer journalist anywhere outside the little-known trade press, and have worked with them for most of the time since then.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:54 pm

What the hell, another opinion.

Quote:
I don't know if I broke a law of computing or committed heresy. But I installed Windows 10 on my Macbook Pro. I had feared that this would condemn me to purgatory in the gates of computing hell. But it has been an incredibly positive experience: my favourite Microsoft Office applications — Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint — work faster than ever before, and I can still use Apple peripherals: a Thunderbolt Display and Thunderbolt external hard drives. The best part is Windows 10 itself: it is a beautifully designed operating system that gives me the best of the past and present — maintaining the usability and familiarity of the old Windows operating system, and letting me download slick apps designed for tablets.
Another Microsoft product that I had written off years ago is Microsoft's Internet Explorer. The jury is still out, but Microsoft's new browser, Edge, seems faster than Google's Chrome. I may end up switching browsers as well.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/i-was-a-microsoft-sceptic-but-windows-10-has-me-convinced-20150817-gj1e5y.html#ixzz3jEIbcglE
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook[/quote]

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:23 pm

I will wait for Windows 10B, after they fix the plethora of bugs in Windows 10 and then no need for endless updating. Oh shoot the updating never stops. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12   

Jump to: