Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Windows 10 upgrade

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CP 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Decade, not Century!

1. Main attractions are seamlessly integrated app-based or full program modes. Snapping apps and desktop programs side-by-side is an absolute winner. useability in terms of size, packaging, speed and power and the full One Note program (as part of Office 2013, not the App) is mobile computing as it should be - easy, versatile, smart and efficient.

2. Price is always a topic but in most business cases, the 'expensive' Surface Pro models are easily accounted for as most businesses generally don't need to change a lot of other stuff around just to accommodate them. They're familiar with the Microsoft environment and especially the ones running Office 365 and integrating One Drive (or other cloud servers).
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:10 pm

Windows 10: forced update causing constant reboots

Before the release of Windows 10, technically literate observers criticised Microsoft's draconian new policy of forcing all users to take all updates whether they want them or not. Only days after the release of Windows 10, that policy is already causing severe problems on some systems.

"Issued last week, the update designated KB3081424 can hit a snag during installation that causes Windows to abandon it and reboot. Since updates are automatic and mandatory Windows will try to install the update again later, forcing another reboot and locking the user in a endless loop. "

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/computers/windows-10-forced-update-causing-constant-reboots-for-some-users-20150812-gix5qr.html

CP 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:12 am

Gee whiz...those Fairfax folk...

Steve Jobs acolytes.

"endless loop"...😁
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:14 am

Windows 10 uses your bandwidth to send other people updates

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/30/windows-10-steals-your-bandwidth-to-send-other-people-updates/

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:16 am

Windows 10 tries to make you pay to play Solitaire

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/30/everything-is-terrible/

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:40 am

Windows 10 sounds utterly crap.

Don't WIN10 have bittorrent in it to Share Updates?

CP 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:59 am

Windows 10 is a phenomenon

http://www.techradar.com/au/news/software/operating-systems/10-great-new-features-in-windows-10-1267365
CP 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:01 pm

Windows 10 gets a minimum score of 9/10 - Game Changer

http://www.techradar.com/au/reviews/pc-mac/software/operating-systems/windows-10-1267364/review
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:13 pm

Interesting link, CP. Let's add up the score for the 21 "new features" this MS shill page raves about:

• "Improved" start menu. Well, improved over Windows 8/8,1, but no better than Windows 7, worse than XP and Vista, and vastly inferior to the Classic Shell menu that anyone who knws anything about computers runs these days. Massive fail Classic Shell is a free download from here: http://www.classicshell.net/ It is essential for Windows 8, near-essential for 8.1, very useful for 10, and provides small but important improvements on 7. (Post here with configuration tweak questions if you wish.)

• Cortana. Near-useless memory-hogging spyware nowhere near ready for prime-time. Might be something worth having with a few years worth of extra development. Might not. Wait and see. For now: fail

• Task Switcher. Nothing to see here, move along please. OS/2 had this 25 years ago. Windows 3.x probably had it too, I don't remember now. This latest version of it has bigger icons (who cares?), which were in any case introduced in in Windows 8.1. (Or was it 8.0? Might have been 7. Doesn't matter anyway.) Not a new feature, no score

• Taskbar changes. On balance, another retrograde step. In particular, the further degradation of the cruical distinction between active and inactive programs is stupid, and the further cluttering of the taskbar with non-essential gunk is to be deplored. Worst of all, there is still no attempt to bring back the functionality of the Quicklaunch Tray, which is sadly missed. Massive fail You can download Free Launch Bar, which is a very usable free version of the excellent True Launch Bar here: http://www.freelaunchbar.com/

• Snap assist. Useless. (Well, useless for everyone except people who use the crippleware metro apps, which nobody with a clue ever does.) Not important either way, no score

• Action Centre. Good idea. Depending on the detail of implementation, it might be useful, might not. I have no firm opinion either way at this stage but keep an open mind. I'll be generous though and give it a pass

• The command prompt (finally) enters the 20th century. And not before time. OS/2 (a joint Microsoft/IBM product) had these very basic, simple usability features in 1990. Perhaps I should be kind and rate this a "pass" because it is an improvement, but in the university I went to, a correctly marked paper submitted 25 years late gets you a fail.

• "Improvements" to Windows Explorer. Explorer has been getting less and less useful with every passing Windows version. They worked on it and improved it little by little for more than a decade. The best implementation was, on balance, in Windows 2000. (The XP version was pretty much the same, althougfh slightly more annoying.) As with so many other things Windows, the rot really set in with Vista and it's only got worse since then. Fail You can download the very good free Explorer2, which replaces it, at http://zabkat.com/x2lite.htm or the even better Explorer++ at https://explorerplusplus.com/ (it too is free).

• Edge browser. As if anyone is ever going to trust a Microsoft browser again. Anyone who knows anything at all about computers uses a safer, better-performing third-party browser such as Firefox, Seamonkey, Palemoon, Opera, or Chrome. Edge is probably not bad, and cannot help being an improvement over the execrable Internet Explorer, but honestly, who cares? Still, I'll be generous and give it a pass

• IE is still there. This is a feature? Give me a break. Nothing new in this "feature", no score

• Multiple virtual desktops. This has been around for at least a decade. Nothing to see here, move along please. Nothing new here, no score

• Schedule restarts. Restarts and updates have been under user control for 20 years. Now they are not. This "new" "feature" merely rolls back a small part of the bad changes introduced with Windows 10, and even then, only if you spend an extra $100 for the pro version. Massive fail

• Universal apps. Who cares? Well, you probably should care, as this is part of the sustained Microsoft push to monopolise all software distribution through the company-controlled, 30%-tax-off-the-top Microsoft Store, which started with the awful Windows 8.0. The aim is to make it impossible to buy or sell software without paying the 30% Microsoft Tax. This already applies to all Metro apps; now they are trying to bring the rest of the vast software universe under their control and extract the profit from it, to the very great detriment of programmers (30% lower profit per dollar value in sales), users (30% higher price) and creative freedom. "Universal apps" must also be written so as to run on any hardware platform - i.e., dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. What is the point of owning a fast, modern computer when the software you are running on it is limited to the intelligence and processing power of a telephone? Massive fail

• Continuum. Handy feature for tablets. Useless for desktops and notebooks. Pass

• Settings and control panel. Some added Metro-style options but they still haven't managed to sort out the unholy mish-mash of old-style and new-style settings controls they first royally buggered up in Windows 8.0. In reality, the classic Control Panel is still the go-to tool. Fail

• "Say Hello to your PC". Interesting idea with near-zero hardware support and serious security implications. Biometrics - face recognition, fingerprint scanners and so on - are inherently dangerous ways to identify yourself to an electronic device. If somebody steals your password, you can make a new one and your data, from that moment on, is safe. If somebody steals your biometric profile, you are totally screwed. Forever. I should probably mark this a fail but I'll be nice and say no score

• DirectX 12. Yawn. Only for gamers. Not really a Windows feature anyway, they could put it into Win 7 if they wanted to but (as is traditional for them) they use it as a lever to force gamers to upgrade. No score

• Phone Companion. These things have been around forever. The phone makers give them away or you can buy better(?) ones on the open market for a few pennies. Possibly useful. Possibly frustrating and buggy. Possibly yet another security problem. Depends on how well they have done it. My money, sight unseen, is on the second with a small splash of the first and third, but I'll be nice and say No score.

• "Support is right there". Yer right. Have you ever tried getting actual support out of Microsoft? My staff and I have never yet succeeded, at least not that I remember, and we have been building, selling, upgrading and repairing Windows-based computers for more than 20 years. It's faster, cheaper, and more effective to figure it out yourself. no score

• It is "free". No it isn't. They fully expect to make more out of you by selling your privacy than they used to get by charging $150 a copy. And on top of that by sucking you into their pay-by-the-month pricing model so that you have to go on paying Microsoft every month forever. It's not here yet, but Windows 10 is a big, big part of the plan to bring it in. They are already charging you $1.49 a month to play bleeding Solitaire FFS! Fail

That gives us:

• Pass with honours: zero
  • Pass: 3
  • No score: 8
  • Fail: 5
  • Massive fail: 4

Allowing one point for a pass, one minus point for a fail, two points for a pass with honours, and two minus points for a massive fail, the overall score for Windows 10 is minus 11.

Take home message: stick with Windows 7 or 8.1. Revisit this question in 6-10 months when we will have a better idea of the benefits (if any) and they will have (hopefully) sorted more of the bugs out.

Last edited by Tannin on Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:44 pm

CP wrote:
Windows 10 gets a minimum score of 9/10 - Game Changer

http://www.techradar.com/au/reviews/pc-mac/software/operating-systems/windows-10-1267364/review

Did Microsoft Pay Game Changers Wink to write that Review?

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:45 pm

Tannin wrote:
Take home message: stick with Windows 7 or 8.1, revisit this question in 6-10 months when we will have a better idea of the benefits (if any) and they will have (hopefully) sorted more of the bugs out.

100% Agree. Not even worth Updating to Windows 10.

At the moment only way I will get it because of buying a New Computer

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:03 pm

Please excuse the many typos in my post above. I'll find some time to fix them later on today, and also to add the one "improvement" from that MS Shill rag's list which I overlooked - which is welcome but comes along twenty years after other companies offered the same thing.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:23 pm

love how harvey normans is advertising laptops with an upgrade to windows10 free.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:42 pm

/\ everyone is!

Tannin, I want all those fix things please!

I'll stick with a nice idiot proof 8!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:01 pm

And you will have them, TP. We install Classic Shell and Free Launch Bar on every system as routine, but I'll add Explorer++ just for you. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12   

Jump to: