Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Windows 10 upgrade

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:36 pm
Post subject: Windows 10 upgradeReply with quote

Anyone else doing the free upgrade to Windows 10?

I've clicked on the little windows icon in the bottom tray, I'm going to give it a go.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

let us know how you go
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:02 pm

Hah, All i've done so far is reserve it, so we'll see how it works out once I actually do download and install it. Wink
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:04 pm

Hmmm can it roll back? I've got windows 8 on my laptop and I like it now I'm used to it. Still got 7 pin the desk top

Is it the full programme? You get to keep?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:11 pm

Full program, get to keep, rollbacks could be an issue unless you have disks for the previous system. Good idea to back up any files you want to keep before doing it.
Brenny 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:34 pm

I bought me an iMac a few years ago and love it.

I've still got windows installed on the mac too as I need it for some software.

Is windows 10 any good?
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:35 pm

I would rather use Linux but it's so complicated.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:37 pm

Brenny wrote:
I bought me an iMac a few years ago and love it.

I've still got windows installed on the mac too as I need it for some software.

Is windows 10 any good?

Dunno yet, it's a while away from coming.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:39 pm

Proud Pies wrote:
let us know how you go

That might be a problem if it doesn't go well. Wink

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:52 pm

Beware of Windows 10.

Microsoft are being very cagey about the licencing terms. At this stage it appears that accepting the "free" upgrade will extinguish your (bought and paid for) right to use your copy of Windows 7 or 8 and you will be stuck with 10. So why worry if 10 is OK? Because they look as though they are positioning 10 be morph into a subscription model - i.e., the "upgrade" will be free but then you will have to pay a yearly subscription forever afterwards.

Nothing is set in stone yet and Microsoft are keeping very, very quiet about the details, but DO NOT "upgrade" to Win 10 final release until they have made the fine print public and people you trust have had a chance to look at it carefully.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:25 pm

Let's be clear about the risk here: current understandings are that when you accept the "free" Windows 10 upgrade licence "agreement", as part of its terms, you agree to surrender your Windows 7 or 8 licence. Right now, you own your copy of Win7/Win8 and you are 100% entitled to go on using it - forever if you wish. In practice, you will probably keep it until the end of MS support in January 2020 (Windows 7) or January 2013 (Windows 8.1).

Now, suppose that you accept the "free" Windows 10 upgrade. Windows 10 is "free" for now but we have no firm or clear information about how long that will stay true or when you will have to start paying for it every year. We do know that Microsoft are rapidly extinguishing their normal software products and replacing them with software rental products you have to pay and pay and pay for - the Microsoft Office family has been leading the way here, it's already practically impossible to buy a copy of Office on DVD, and they are pushing rental versions of Office for all they are worth.

So, what happens when they have got you all onto Windows 10 and can switch on the compulsory rental switch? You can't go back to Windows 7 or 8 even though you already own it. The Win 10 fine print blows your ownership of the product out of the water, and they can and will enforce that. Pay the rental or brick your computer.

In practice, my bet is that they will be a little more subtle about it: first they get everyone off Windows 7 & 8. (They do this by offering "free" Windows 10 - note that Microsoft have never, ever, ever given operating software away. Not once in over a quarter of a century have they ever done this.) Next, they stay very vague and cagey about the Windows 10 life cycle and licence terms. My guess is that they won't actually start demanding money for Windows 10 outright, they'll figure out a way to make Windows 10 effectively useless and "rescue" you by "generously" offering an upgrade to a different and "improved" version of it for "only" $75. (Or some other smallish-looking amount.) But that cheap looking price will be per year, and they'll be able to extract more money from you every year.

Paranoid?

These suspicions are rife amongst technical people and well publicised. They have been around, in the public view, for many months. Microsoft know that, they couldn't not know it. If there was nothing to it, they could scotch the speculation and the rumours with a single one-para press release. All they need to do is make the terms and conditions clear. they have a thousand lawyers on staff .... and not one of them has acted on this.

Now it could be that a company which rose to wealth and monopoly status on the back of ruthlessly illegal extortion from computer manufacturers at the expense of consumers the world over (not my words, historical fact which has been proved in court more than once) and which has relentlessly pushed up prices* for decades would suddenly turn around and give its most important product away just to be nice. Or there might be a reason behind it. You figure it out.

* Note on price gouging: up until Microsoft managed to establish a monopoly in PC operating software in the mid-1990s, their price was around 3.5% of the total cost of the average new computer system.
Now, after two decades of monopoly, it is passing 25%.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:11 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Proud Pies wrote:
let us know how you go

That might be a problem if it doesn't go well. Wink

this made me laugh Smile thank you swoop

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:33 pm

Tannin wrote:
Let's be clear about the risk here: current understandings are that when you accept the "free" Windows 10 upgrade licence "agreement", as part of its terms, you agree to surrender your Windows 7 or 8 licence. Right now, you own your copy of Win7/Win8 and you are 100% entitled to go on using it - forever if you wish. In practice, you will probably keep it until the end of MS support in January 2020 (Windows 7) or January 2013 (Windows 8.1).

Now, suppose that you accept the "free" Windows 10 upgrade. Windows 10 is "free" for now but we have no firm or clear information about how long that will stay true or when you will have to start paying for it every year. We do know that Microsoft are rapidly extinguishing their normal software products and replacing them with software rental products you have to pay and pay and pay for - the Microsoft Office family has been leading the way here, it's already practically impossible to buy a copy of Office on DVD, and they are pushing rental versions of Office for all they are worth.

So, what happens when they have got you all onto Windows 10 and can switch on the compulsory rental switch? You can't go back to Windows 7 or 8 even though you already own it. The Win 10 fine print blows your ownership of the product out of the water, and they can and will enforce that. Pay the rental or brick your computer.

In practice, my bet is that they will be a little more subtle about it: first they get everyone off Windows 7 & 8. (They do this by offering "free" Windows 10 - note that Microsoft have never, ever, ever given operating software away. Not once in over a quarter of a century have they ever done this.) Next, they stay very vague and cagey about the Windows 10 life cycle and licence terms. My guess is that they won't actually start demanding money for Windows 10 outright, they'll figure out a way to make Windows 10 effectively useless and "rescue" you by "generously" offering an upgrade to a different and "improved" version of it for "only" $75. (Or some other smallish-looking amount.) But that cheap looking price will be per year, and they'll be able to extract more money from you every year.

Paranoid?

These suspicions are rife amongst technical people and well publicised. They have been around, in the public view, for many months. Microsoft know that, they couldn't not know it. If there was nothing to it, they could scotch the speculation and the rumours with a single one-para press release. All they need to do is make the terms and conditions clear. they have a thousand lawyers on staff .... and not one of them has acted on this.

Now it could be that a company which rose to wealth and monopoly status on the back of ruthlessly illegal extortion from computer manufacturers at the expense of consumers the world over (not my words, historical fact which has been proved in court more than once) and which has relentlessly pushed up prices* for decades would suddenly turn around and give its most important product away just to be nice. Or there might be a reason behind it. You figure it out.

* Note on price gouging: up until Microsoft managed to establish a monopoly in PC operating software in the mid-1990s, their price was around 3.5% of the total cost of the average new computer system.
Now, after two decades of monopoly, it is passing 25%.

I read somewhere recently that (in the opinion of the author) giving away windows 10, even to people who have a pirate copy of whatever windows operating system they're currently using, had a purpose in stabilising the platform. Getting as many people as possible onto the latest release and getting rid of the legacy XP, Vista, 7 and 8.

I'll happily defer to you on comment as you deal with this stuff for a living. I absolutely get the suspicion, but let's think outside the box a bit about why they may be doing this.

Personally, I'll back up the data I want to keep and give it a go. Worst case is I don't like it. It's an old computer, I can always format the hard drive and start again and load 7 on it, I've done it with a laptop.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:36 pm

Yeah but from my understanding you won't be able to use your old version for some reason. Read a couple of reviews, I think I'll wait, just can't afford down time if something goes wrong!
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:43 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Personally, I'll back up the data I want to keep and give it a go. Worst case is I don't like it. It's an old computer, I can always format the hard drive and start again and load 7 on it, I've done it with a laptop.

No you can't Stui! That's the point. The "free" Windows 10 licence extinguishes your Windows 7 licence. You can't go back because your Windows 7 won't pass activation. After 30 days, it times out.

(Microsoft may choose not to enforce that. Or they may not. We just don't know yet. Nor can you buy a new copy of Windows 7 to replace the one you already own and have paid for. They have already stopped selling standard Win 7 and will shut down the more expensive Win 7 Pro before too long. 8 will follow at a later date.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12   

Jump to: