Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Windows 10 upgrade

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
The level of "tin foil hatting" going on around the Windows release is ridiculous. I suppose none of you own Android, Apple or Windows phones? .

Correct! Well, correct if my name today is "none of you".

The point, Joel, is that a computer is a machine I buy, with my own money, and it is supposed to do what I want it to do. If Microsoft or Google or any other tax-dodging bastard company wants my personal information, they can bloody well pay whatever price I ask for it, and do it openly and honestly, or they can go without.

Compare with Microsoft's scumbag privacy "agreement", which is so determined to obscure just how unequal and unfair the "agreement" is that it is 18 pages long. 18 pages! 18 pages for an "agreement" which basically says what any honest company would say in 18 words: "We will do whatever we like with your information and if you don't like that, stiff titties sucker".

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/03/windows_10_privacy_defaults/
http://lifehacker.com/what-windows-10s-privacy-nightmare-settings-actually-1722267229

Last edited by Tannin on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:29 pm

I am not sure I see your point.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:35 pm

It is also instructive to read the comments made by the Register readership, which is (in most cases) as well-informed and highly skilled as you might expect given that most are expert IT professionals.

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2015/08/03/windows_10_privacy_defaults/

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:19 pm

Sounds Like Windows 10 Sucks and Not even worth Updating.

Don’t want the Government and Microsoft knowing everything I do

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:25 pm

^

I like it and I don't care. Google already knows everything i do.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:23 am

Dave The Man wrote:
Sounds Like Windows 10 Sucks and Not even worth Updating.

Don’t want the Government and Microsoft knowing everything I do

Don't listen to the bullshit Dave.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:21 am

Precisely which things posted here are in fact "bullshit", Joel?

I have provided specifics, with evidence: you need to identify which of those facts you are disputing, and provide evidence to back up your assertions.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:26 am

Joel wrote:
The level of "tin foil hatting" going on around the Windows release is ridiculous. I suppose none of you own Android, Apple or Windows phones?

I've installed it and like it so far. That said, I was in the minority that liked Windows 8 (after I took the time to install a classic menu).

That's probably true. Tannin and I weren't bagging Windows 10 as a Windows release. And at least they tried to get with the times when designing Windows 8.

I was more stirring CP about his "business tool of the year" comment about Surface! More like: Only viable channel for selling tablets to corporates. Full stop!

But, let's face it: We use Windows because of legacy and ecological lock-in, not rational, free-market choice. Facebook is the same. Google AdWords is the same. Talented companies loaded with smart people, to be sure, but the lack of market pressure shows in all kinds of small and big ways, and of course in pricing/privacy.

BTW, where they do directly compete, we benefit; hence, the iPhone drove the design of Windows 8; Firefox drove Chrome, and Chrome killed Bing and drove Next. Or, Google Docs drove 365. Or, now Facebook video is driving YouTube, etc. Dial that up over multiple new players in each major functional area like actual competitive markets, and you would have awesome products, rather than "good enough" ones with irritating lock-in, hopeless privacy rights, and all manner of shabby, transitionary half-products and patches.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:42 pm

We're being programmed into good little corporate drones, selling ourselves for a piece of software. Saying you don't care about privacy because you've got nothing to hide is like saying you don't care about free speech because you've got nothing to say. Whether it's the government, a foreign government or a tech company spying on you, it's your duty to resist it.

FWIW, Windows 10 seems to be solid software, but I'm working double time to turn off all this spying shit (even when you turn it off there are still packets being sent to Microshit, so the menu/install options seem to be placebos).
Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:10 pm

HAL wrote:
I would rather use Linux but it's so complicated.

No it ain't - it's a doddle Wink

MM

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm

OK, I got sick of having no sound so I've dialled back to Windows 7 for the time being. I'll give it a few weeks and go again. I like the platform.
CP 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:58 pm

pietillidie wrote:
Joel wrote:
The level of "tin foil hatting" going on around the Windows release is ridiculous. I suppose none of you own Android, Apple or Windows phones?

I've installed it and like it so far. That said, I was in the minority that liked Windows 8 (after I took the time to install a classic menu).

That's probably true. Tannin and I weren't bagging Windows 10 as a Windows release. And at least they tried to get with the times when designing Windows 8.

I was more stirring CP about his "business tool of the year" comment about Surface! More like: Only viable channel for selling tablets to corporates. Full stop!

But, let's face it: We use Windows because of legacy and ecological lock-in, not rational, free-market choice.

I run 4 business and consult to a dozen others.

None of which are remotely close to being corporate.

All have complete choice of their software ecosystem (in fact, 4 of them are tech companies).

For the past 16 months, ALL have stopped buying iPads and started replacing them with Surface Pro 2 and Pro 3 for varying reasons. IMHO (which you mock and seemingly suggest is misplaced or indeed wrong) the Surface Pro 2 and 3 is the best business tool I've ever used.

Tell me of your experiences that give rise to you mocking mine.
CP 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:27 pm

Thought so.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:47 pm

PTID isn't out of bed yet, CP. Where he is, it will still be dark. Later on, it will be a delightful summer day, with the skylarks singing overhead and a gentle breeze wafting through the leaves.

Bastard!

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:21 am

CP wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
Joel wrote:

But, let's face it: We use Windows because of legacy and ecological lock-in, not rational, free-market choice.

I run 4 business and consult to a dozen others.

None of which are remotely close to being corporate.

All have complete choice of their software ecosystem (in fact, 4 of them are tech companies).

For the past 16 months, ALL have stopped buying iPads and started replacing them with Surface Pro 2 and Pro 3 for varying reasons. IMHO (which you mock and seemingly suggest is misplaced or indeed wrong) the Surface Pro 2 and 3 is the best business tool I've ever used.

Tell me of your experiences that give rise to you mocking mine.

I was stirring you, you silly bugger. Business tool of the century is just a funny call.

I'm a brand agnostic type: I use whatever works, and would even use a Surface. I'm actually glad to hear you give folks a choice; good on you.

Two serious questions for you: Which aspects make you rate it so highly in a work context? Were you price sensitive at all?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12   

Jump to: