Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Windows 10 upgrade

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too bad we have to use a monopoly like Microsoft.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:58 pm

I'm intrigued by their "stabilise the platform" reason. They have been using that phrase for a while now, but nobody seems to have the faintest clue what it means. (If anything.) It certainly won't save them a single penny in support costs as the end-of-support dates for Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1 are already set in stone: they have to aide by their existing commitments to continue support for 8.1 until January 2023, for example.

One possibility is that they have some secret new product in mind which will (they think) be a genuine must-have, and they are planning to make that run only on Win 10 (or possibly 11), thus compelling "upgrades" to the software rental model. That's a Microsoft-flavoured sort of idea and in keeping with their corporate history, but it will have to be a humdinger of a product and Microsoft have a well-established record of introducing "must-have" new products which turn out to be complete flops, even after they pump billions (literally billions) into life-support for them. They lost insane amounts of money trying to rescue flops like, for example, Bing, Bob, Windows RT, Surface, Windows Phone, and X-Box. With X-Box they eventually succeeded and it's now a profitable product, but it will never go anywhere near making back even a small fraction of the billions they spent propping it up. On the whole, Microsoft are very, very good at defending and extracting maximum possible dollar from their monopoly products (DOS, Office, Windows), and pretty piss poor at introducing new ones. They nearly always fail.

Anyway, I'm just speculating at this stage. It's a brave new world now, with Microsoft bleeding badly while Google and Apple make fortunes from smashing the MS OS monopoly. Where will it go from here? Nobody knows.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:12 pm

Nope - Sticking with Windows 7 64 Bit.

Won’t Change until I have too - Like Computer Dying

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:20 pm
Post subject: Re: Windows 10 upgradeReply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Anyone else doing the free upgrade to Windows 10?

I've clicked on the little windows icon in the bottom tray, I'm going to give it a go.

So Windows 10 is just a Update Shocked

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:23 pm

Tannin wrote:
Beware of Windows 10.

Microsoft are being very cagey about the licencing terms. At this stage it appears that accepting the "free" upgrade will extinguish your (bought and paid for) right to use your copy of Windows 7 or 8 and you will be stuck with 10. So why worry if 10 is OK? Because they look as though they are positioning 10 be morph into a subscription model - i.e., the "upgrade" will be free but then you will have to pay a yearly subscription forever afterwards.

Nothing is set in stone yet and Microsoft are keeping very, very quiet about the details, but DO NOT "upgrade" to Win 10 final release until they have made the fine print public and people you trust have had a chance to look at it carefully.

I would not get a New Windows to at least when Service Pack 1 comes out

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:50 pm

Tannin wrote:
I'm intrigued by their "stabilise the platform" reason. They have been using that phrase for a while now, but nobody seems to have the faintest clue what it means. (If anything.) It certainly won't save them a single penny in support costs as the end-of-support dates for Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1 are already set in stone: they have to aide by their existing commitments to continue support for 8.1 until January 2023, for example.

One possibility is that they have some secret new product in mind which will (they think) be a genuine must-have, and they are planning to make that run only on Win 10 (or possibly 11), thus compelling "upgrades" to the software rental model. That's a Microsoft-flavoured sort of idea and in keeping with their corporate history, but it will have to be a humdinger of a product and Microsoft have a well-established record of introducing "must-have" new products which turn out to be complete flops, even after they pump billions (literally billions) into life-support for them. They lost insane amounts of money trying to rescue flops like, for example, Bing, Bob, Windows RT, Surface, Windows Phone, and X-Box. With X-Box they eventually succeeded and it's now a profitable product, but it will never go anywhere near making back even a small fraction of the billions they spent propping it up. On the whole, Microsoft are very, very good at defending and extracting maximum possible dollar from their monopoly products (DOS, Office, Windows), and pretty piss poor at introducing new ones. They nearly always fail.

Anyway, I'm just speculating at this stage. It's a brave new world now, with Microsoft bleeding badly while Google and Apple make fortunes from smashing the MS OS monopoly. Where will it go from here? Nobody knows.

The Surface tablet is actually getting some traction and Microsoft would have the vast majority still of the PC market operating system market, both business and home.

part of the logic behind Windows 10 as I understand it, is that it's a single platform that can be used with minimal tweaks across multi devices, PC/laptop, tablet, phone, phablet. etc. What they tried and failed to do with 8.

When you talk about competitors, Apple does excellent marketing, good hardware and closed system software.

Google somehow makes money by giving away software like Chrome and Android.

The next generation won't have a PC at home, just a phone or tablet will do them, but business/corporate will still want something that you can type into. Lets see what happens.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:49 am

Microsoft's Surface was probably the most spectacular flop since new Coke. But - just as with the X-box - Microsoft poured an incredible amount of money into it and gradually reduced the mountains of them sitting in warehouses by selling them at around one-third of cost. You have to admire their inability to admit defeat - they may never recover the fortune they pissed away on flogging them off below cost, but the Surface is indeed now looking as though it may become a viable product. Their expectation that the crippled Surface RT would be the big volume seller and lead them to market glory, however, of course turned out to be completely wrong. Do they even make it anymore?

The "single platform" notion has failed utterly. It was in any case never even faintly a reality: the "single" platform required no less than four different code re-writes to work under the various incompatible APIs of Windows desktop, RT, Phone, and whatever the other one was. (I forget already.) We are not talking "minimal tweaks" here, we are talking top-to-bottom rewrites, or at very least, recompilation with multiple changes if you are content to target the application at the lowest common denominator (phone) and accept that the desktop version will be a crippled poor relation of what it could have been if you'd designed it for the systen it as going to run on in the first place.

They are trying to rescue something from the ruins now, and have certainly made some progress, but the hard reality is that it technological nonsense to attempt a "single platform" across such disparate devices as computers, tablets, telephones, and watches. Even Apple - the obsessive high priests of customer lock-in and our way or the highway - don't try to do that, with good reason.

Meanwhile, Google are eating their lunch and expanding into larger and larger systems. Microsoft are between a rock and a hard place. Apple's massive wave of success is drawing to a close now: the number of people willing to pay the Apple Tax is dwindling and their market share is continuing to drop. They are faced with no longer being able to gouge the massive margins they have become used to and competing with leaner, more efficient companies like Samsung, Lenovo, and HTC. I really don't see what their way out is this time.

As for Google, they don't give things away, they sell them, and sell them for a mind-boggling amount of money. What they sell is you: your movements, your search terms, your browsing history, your vulnerability to ads of different types, and their "free" products are simply the bait they spread out to attract the people they sell. Google's business model is so far superior to the dated and threatened models of Microsoft and Apple that it's not hard to imagine the big G wiping them out, just as Microsoft wiped out giants like Novel and DR and Word Perfect and even Borland, and just as Google wiped out Alta Vista and Yahoo and Bing. Apple will morph back into a small boutique manufacturer for people who value style more than money or function.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:23 am

Tannin wrote:
What they sell is you: your movements...

Anyone who offers you something in return for your movements is surely onto a winner! Perhaps that's what their Google Fiber strategy is all about; first they get you using their fibre, then they sell your movements!

Hear that, Malcolm? Terminal nodes cause bottlenecks in the system, and bottlenecks restrict movements, eventually killing you! No movements, means nothing to sell!

Talk about killing the goose that laid the golden egg Rolling Eyes With just a little more fibre, everyone wins!

Vote 1 HFTP: High Fibre to the Premises!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:16 am

More fibre generally helps with movements. Smile
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:23 am

So does a VPT thread.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:08 am

I don't appreciate microsoft installing what is essentially adware (the little flag icon that's stuck on your toolbar) through their automatic update service. You can remove it by uninstalling update KB3035583 and then hide any future notifications. Sneaky bastards
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:14 pm

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
I don't appreciate microsoft installing what is essentially adware (the little flag icon that's stuck on your toolbar) through their automatic update service. You can remove it by uninstalling update KB3035583 and then hide any future notifications. Sneaky bastards

Microsoft is Evil Wink

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:57 pm

Not as evil as Apple forcing Bono and his mates on us. Mad
Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:37 pm

^ I hear they will be inflicting Kayne West on us next time (seriously)
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:29 pm

^

If you're going with Apple, you deserve it. Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12   

Jump to: