Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Billy" Elliott

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:23 pm
Post subject: "Billy" ElliottReply with quote

I get that it's fun to give a player a nickname now and then (although best left to the buffoons on commercial radio), but anyone watching the game on TV on Sunday would have thought that the given name of our no.5 is "Billy". Because that's how Hamish McLachlan referred to him, like, every single time he went near the ball.

Does anyone else find this annoying?

Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't start me on mates rates!
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:53 pm

yeah nah.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:56 pm

Buddy Franklin says hi. Very Happy
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:57 pm

I get what you mean. I guess it's their way of trying to inject a bit of fun and comedy into the game. I watched the game yesterday so I know what you're saying, but I can't say it irked me that much and the reason I say that is because I hardly noticed the commentary at all. Commetti and McLaughlin actually broadcast the game well and were actually unbiased and professional throughout. Even Hodge was good - although monotone. Maxy is insightful and spot on in his analysis. As a fan, that's all I ask for.

Unlike those other brain dead imbeciles over at fox who barrack and carry on like their lives depended on it, and triple M whose egos are so over inflated that they actually start commentating on themselves and forget that there's a game of football going on. I could go on but it may result in my post being removed or heavily edited such is my hatred for all things triple m and fox Smile
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:43 pm

Nah, yeah..... Confused
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:22 pm

Interesting if Brett heady was still playing ?
mudlark 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:32 pm

WarrenerraW wrote:
I get what you mean. I guess it's their way of trying to inject a bit of fun and comedy into the game. I watched the game yesterday so I know what you're saying, but I can't say it irked me that much and the reason I say that is because I hardly noticed the commentary at all. Commetti and McLaughlin actually broadcast the game well and were actually unbiased and professional throughout. Even Hodge was good - although monotone. Maxy is insightful and spot on in his analysis. As a fan, that's all I ask for.

Unlike those other brain dead imbeciles over at fox who barrack and carry on like their lives depended on it, and triple M whose egos are so over inflated that they actually start commentating on themselves and forget that there's a game of football going on. I could go on but it may result in my post being removed or heavily edited such is my hatred for all things triple m and fox Smile

I agree with most?? of what you say here WW....HOWEVER!!!! WHY???? do they persist in questioning any and every free kick given to Collingwood. Every time a kick is given,and the most glaring example was the high contact paid to Pendles??? I think it was and it was debated ad nauseam unlike duckwood who does it 10 times a week and it's "Oh ,it was there".And having said all that,you just KNEW that they were loving Collingwood getting smashed.But better than fox I agree.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:07 pm

Yeah nah, don't care. I grew up listening to Lou Richards inventing nicknames for players and referring to them by their nickname on the call.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:22 pm

mattys123 wrote:
Buddy Franklin says hi. Very Happy

Yeah, fair point, though Bruce ensures that that will always be annoying. Razz

Two differences: 1) It's obviously a nickname, because no-one in their right mind would actually call their child "Buddy". It would not be obvious to a casual observer that Elliott is called anything else.

2) It's his actual nickname. Like, people actually call him that. Does Jamie actually answer to "Billy" in real life?

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:39 pm

Perhaps you should ask him David?
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:43 pm
Post subject: HeyReply with quote

For those who don't know the name Billy was given to Billy Elliott in Mark Twain's novel ' The Magic Faraway Tree'. So lets not get too hung up on the name Billy when it is a compliment recognising his connection with literature which no longer is taught in our Green Leftist Feminist Facist Government Schools. Just like they teach our kids that the Anzacs were rapists. What a disgrace.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:45 pm
Post subject: Re: HeyReply with quote

Hiss wrote:
For those who don't know the name Billy was given to Billy Elliott in Mark Twain's novel ' The Magic Faraway Tree'. So lets not get too hung up on the name Billy when it is a compliment recognising his connection with literature which no longer is taught in our Green Leftist Feminist Facist Government Schools. Just like they teach our kids that the Anzacs were rapists. What a disgrace.

i think you have had a few too many billies in your time.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:57 pm
Post subject: Re: HeyReply with quote

John Wren wrote:
Hiss wrote:

I think you have had a few too many billies in your time.

I think you're correct, and there must have been something extra in the last few outback swagman drowning spots. Shocked

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:04 pm

"Just like they teach our kids that the Anzacs were rapists. What a disgrace."

Just who is teaching our kids that ? What a crock, Sad

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: