Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round Table: The Presidents

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:27 pm
Post subject: Round Table: The PresidentsReply with quote

fox footy special facilitated by whateley. eddie, kochie, andrew pridham (swans) and peter gordon (western welfare) chat about and debate a range of topics.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be Arguing and Ganging up on Eddie.

Not Watching it

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:45 pm

dave, do yourself a favour and watch it. it's not often you'll get such an insight across a selection of the people who influence and shape our game. nothing looks contrived so far.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 pm

Very glad I watched that. very good TV and my respect for Whatley is growing.

All four presidents handled themselves well and put across their views. You could see the philosophical differences between them shining through but they had more in common than in difference.

i actually found myself agreeing with Koch over Eddie when it came to the importance of QLD and NSW to the AFL.

Very good TV. Thank you Foxtel.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:50 pm

stui magpie wrote:

All four presidents handled themselves well and put across their views. You could see the philosophical differences between them shining through but they had more in common than in difference.

i actually found myself agreeing with Koch over Eddie when it came to the importance of QLD and NSW to the AFL.

The Problem with that is that they are Ignoring the AFL States and leaving us Behind and giving the QLD and NSW States Un-Fair Advantages

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:55 pm

the numbers kochie threw up about the gws region were hugely compelling and instructive to where the game needs to expand. i didn't realise how big the economy was in such an area. within an 11km radius of rooty hill rsl there is 2.2m people with an economy the size of singapore.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:00 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

The Problem with that is that they are Ignoring the AFL States and leaving us Behind and giving the QLD and NSW States Un-Fair Advantages

That wasn't the idea Dave. Lots of different perspectives, all relevant.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 pm

John Wren wrote:
the numbers kochie threw up about the gws region were hugely compelling and instructive to where the game needs to expand. i didn't realise how big the economy was in such an area. within an 11km radius of rooty hill rsl there is 2.2m people with an economy the size of singapore.

So GWS could Rival Collingwood as the Biggest AFL Club?

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:07 pm

who knows dave? one day they might. without wanting to alarm you, we're only a bad decision or two from being in a parlous state again. anything can happen.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:14 pm

John Wren wrote:
who knows dave? one day they might. without wanting to alarm you, we're only a bad decision or two from being in a parlous state again. anything can happen.

So Collingwood are Losing Money?

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:24 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
John Wren wrote:

no dave. like anything, a bad decision can be the ruin of you whether it is in business or personal life. i'm not saying collingwood is in trouble but it is not immune from catastrophic consequences. some of the biggest empires have fallen by the wayside.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:28 pm

John Wren wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
John Wren wrote:

no dave. like anything, a bad decision can be the ruin of you whether it is in business or personal life. i'm not saying collingwood is in trouble but it is not immune from catastrophic consequences. some of the biggest empires have fallen by the wayside.

Well that makes more Sense then what you said.

Same could be said about the AFL. A few stupid Big Mistakes could kill the AFL

BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:33 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Look at Brisbane - they won premierships in 2001, 2002 and 2003 with ALF salary assistance. Today and for some years they have been a basket case and averaging around 15,000-20,000 at home games (or thereabouts) and no AFL assistance.

If it was Collingwood in 01, 02, 03, I reckon MCG capacity would've been 150,000 by now to cater for us whether we are playing well or not.

Eddie is right, don't forget the hand that feeds you but that doesn't mean you ignore the northern states either.

Exception to Sydney, I really can't see GWS, GC or Brisbane winning a premiership anytime soon. The drafts were compromised and that no longer happens, very good players are slowing returning back to their original states and more importantly can they retain highly drafts picks under the salary cap in the next few years - I think not. Like Brisbane, some AFL assistance will be required otherwise forget it IMO and let's not forget that COLA has now been scrapped as well.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:34 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
John Wren wrote:

Well that makes more Sense then what you said.

Same could be said about the AFL. A few stupid Big Mistakes could kill the AFL

that's right and why we hope they have made the right decision in investing in gcs and gws.

on another note, the hawks are putting in place the foundations for a move from waverley to dingley which is leigh matthews' old stomping ground if i am not mistaken.

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/hawks-reveal-plan-to-leave-nest-for-huge-dingley-headquarters-20150602-ghf3yg.html

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:37 pm

BEAMER09 wrote:
[quote="Dave The Man"][quote="stui magpie"]Very glad I watched that. very good TV and my respect for Whatley is growing.

[b]i actually found myself agreeing with Koch over Eddie when it came to the importance of QLD and NSW to the AFL.
[/b]
Very good TV. Thank you Foxtel.[/quote]

The Problem with that is that they are Ignoring the AFL States and leaving us Behind and giving the QLD and NSW States Un-Fair Advantages[/quote]

Look at Brisbane - they won premierships in 2001, 2002 and 2003 with ALF salary assistance. Today and for some years they have been a basket case and averaging around 15,000-20,000 at home games (or thereabouts) and no AFL assistance.

If it was Collingwood in 01, 02, 03, I reckon MCG capacity would've been 150,000 by now to cater for us whether we are playing well or not.

Eddie is right, don't forget the hand that feeds you but that doesn't mean you ignore the northern states either.

Exception to Sydney, I really can't see GWS, GC or Brisbane winning a premiership anytime soon. The drafts were compromised and that no longer happens, very good players are slowing returning back to their original states and more importantly can they retain highly drafts picks under the salary cap in the next few years - I think not. Like Brisbane, some AFL assistance will be required otherwise forget it IMO and let's not forget that COLA has now been scrapped as well.
Thanks for the compliment. What's your favourite show?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: