Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rule Changes...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve86 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

made sense to me when I watched it. our players don't really do what the rule is changing anyway, pendles n a few others drop the centre of gravity but our players rarely go driving in. So it may help us in away because we definitely cop a lot of opposition players going for these free kicks
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:39 pm

Steve86 wrote:
made sense to me when I watched it. our players don't really do what the rule is changing anyway, pendles n a few others drop the centre of gravity but our players rarely go driving in. So it may help us in away because we definitely cop a lot of opposition players going for these free kicks
yeah, seemed pretty simple to me too, don't drive into opponent with your head, if you do that's your prior opportunity to get rid of the pill.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:02 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
David wrote:
All pretty sensible, Jayel and Tannin. And yes, I'm sorry to say that Pendles did this repeatedly on the weekend. Not great to see.

I'm sick and tired of hearing commentators justify it as clever play. If you're playing for frees—dropping the knees, ducking into people's chests or exaggerating contact—you're essentially cheating. If we're trying to reduce head/neck contact in the game, why reward players who seek it out? It's nonsensical.

I don't necessarily blame clubs or players for trying to find every possible tactic to win a game of football, but that just means that umpires and the rule committee need to get smarter with this stuff. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction.

I can't agree, some of this actually is smart play. Charging head first at a player and forcing high contact is against the spirit and umpires no longer pay frees for this. Paying a free against the ducker in this case is fair.

But I'm not sure there's anything wrong with making it more difficult, though far from impossible, for an opponent to fairly lay a tackle. Why should a player not be allowed to take evasive action? If the tackler has poor technique he's going to give away a free and I see little difference to this than say protecting the drop zone in a marking contest and "forcing" the defender to hold.

Agree with David.
I hate it when I see Pendlebury lowering his knees to draw a free as well.

The practice is a modern trend that's crept into the game over the last 10-15 years.
Over the years it has evolved from a "tackle around the neck" to "high contact", not for the better.
In the past if the player with the ball elected to take himself to ground, or chose to duck his head, he was basically fair game. Trying to avoid a tackle and draw a free kick by going to ground of your own volition, is pretty much taking the piss out of the game of Australian Rules Football, but at the moment is unfortunately being rewarded with free kicks.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
E 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:00 am

What about diving forward in the tackle so that momentum rather than the defender causes a push in the back. Happens all the time now
Museman 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:13 pm

Clicks in quick with the players, Walters just went to lead with the head and pulled up.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:38 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
David wrote:
All pretty sensible, Jayel and Tannin. And yes, I'm sorry to say that Pendles did this repeatedly on the weekend. Not great to see.

I'm sick and tired of hearing commentators justify it as clever play. If you're playing for frees—dropping the knees, ducking into people's chests or exaggerating contact—you're essentially cheating. If we're trying to reduce head/neck contact in the game, why reward players who seek it out? It's nonsensical.

I don't necessarily blame clubs or players for trying to find every possible tactic to win a game of football, but that just means that umpires and the rule committee need to get smarter with this stuff. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction.

I can't agree, some of this actually is smart play. Charging head first at a player and forcing high contact is against the spirit and umpires no longer pay frees for this. Paying a free against the ducker in this case is fair.

But I'm not sure there's anything wrong with making it more difficult, though far from impossible, for an opponent to fairly lay a tackle. Why should a player not be allowed to take evasive action? If the tackler has poor technique he's going to give away a free and I see little difference to this than say protecting the drop zone in a marking contest and "forcing" the defender to hold.

I get your point, but it's pretty clear that Pendles is not trying to evade the tackle. His only aim, like others who buckle the knees, is to draw the free. That's the sole reason they do it.

More to the point, even if some players do do it in good faith, it's an inherently dangerous way of evading and a real head injury risk. It should be stamped out for the same reason that all dangerous acts are. Players shouldn't be offered incentives to put themselves in harm's way. It all seems pretty common sense to me.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:27 pm

Watching the game last night, Walters - 2 head ducks for 2 free kicks which both resulted in goals.

and yes, Pendles drawing the high tackle is not a good look. I feel slightly embarrassed when he gets the free, it doesn't sit right.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:52 pm

Would love to see a player duck his head and barge through and get reported for head butting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: