Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Pies rumble Roos - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:55 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
John Wren wrote:
neil wrote:
First half awful second half great but we were lucky North missed a number of goals

Best thing is the second half means the players self belief and confidence will go sky high which is very important for a young side

we simply had no luck in the first half whether it was a line ball decision, the ball bouncing the other way or just a fumble here or there. we just couldn't get our hands on the ball but when we did it changed the complexion of the game. it also helped that north couldn't kick straight and kept us in the game.

for all the faults of the first half, that third quarter was simply stunning. i was nearly in tears. it gives the guys a reference point for what they are capable of.

Probably a good reminder to some of us myself included that we should appreciate the win for what it was and not what it should or could have been in a perfect world.

While internet sites like Nick's and social media have opened up wonderful opportunities for like minded people from all over the world to come together, you can't help but feel our ability to scrutinise the minutia of a football game and it's players because of it's presence has taken our focus off what is most important, which is the simple enjoyment of witnessing our side pull off a memorable victory and basking in it for a few days.

a couple of the game's greatest coaches once said (to paraphrase but you'll get the drift):

coach 1: "the players don't go out there to not try."
coach 2: "we all expect perfection with everything that happens on the field."

we all get caught up in different aspects of the game. i spend a lot of the time watching what is happening off the ball rather than appreciating what is going on at the contest. we also tend to analyse a game or player to within an inch of their lives and forget there's 44 humans going for as if their lives depended on it. the last time i was that emotional about one of our performances was the gws win last year. again, we fought against the odds and triumphed.

yesterday, i never thought we were totally out of the game and going into half time thought that we only needed to peg back 3-4 games each quarter by getting our hands on the ball and being a bit smarter. on the evidence to that point it didn't look overly apparent it could happen but footy is a funny game.

GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:02 am

Watched the second half again last night after getting home from the game with my drenched kids (gotta love real footy weather) !... a few things really stood out:
- De Goey is as hard as nails. Cannot believe how tough he is in the clinches.... and only 4 games in. No, he's not getting a heap of the ball but that will come with time.
- Grundy & Witts really seemed to steel themselves for the contest against Goldstein. While he probably took the points in the second half the verve and enthusiasm both boys showed was impressive.
- Pendles really seemed to be struggling to move again in that last quarter. Needs a break... although he had no trouble moving the week before so??
- Tackles inside 50 were 21-3 at the 15 minute mark or so of the last quarter. That is ridiculous and shows our pressure is really good.
- Sidey.... man, just so skilful. Think he's gone to another level this year. So important to the team now.
- Jack Crisp.... as many others have said, "who would have thought"
- Swanny must have gone close to 100% on efficiency in the second half after going at 18% (yes you are reading that correctly) in the first half. Aside from the holding the ball free against him I actually can't think of a possession he wasted. Impressive Swanny.
- Billy Elliott = Special
- Surprisingly unbiased commentary from Channel 7. I didn't have it on mute coz I knew the result. For once they weren't barracking for North to get back in it, just calling it as the exciting contest it was.
- Did that really happen?

I texted this to my brother at half time... who would have thunk!!

"scoreboard says we're done but that was a goal for goal quarter. Defence seemed to get better as it went on. Very slippery conditions so gonna be damn tough to kick 6+ goals. Could get ugly but again we've got a bit of ticker this year so we should fight it out. Realistically only need to outscore them by 3 goals this quarter."

Amazing how being a glass half full kinda guy can somehow turn a 2 goal to 4 quarter (the second) into a "goal for goal" quarter!!! Hahaha.... whatever.... a bit like the Cats game.... didn't think we were out of it.

Go Pies. Amazing win. A great day to be a part of the Magpie army. And what an atmosphere for 40,000 fans.... sensational.

TK Leo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:42 am

Really great effort by Pies, although I always felt that the key indicators were in our favour at half time except one, disposal..... Everything else pointed to a tight contest, tackles, tackles inside fifty, clearances, contested disposals... But when you travel at less than 50% disposal effectiveness you are peeing into the wind.
Great coaching too by Bucks, his stars in Pendles and Swan were way down in D.Eff the move of Billy onto the wing got him involved. Frosty was superb once more and is in my mind one of the greatest draft choices we have made in the 2010's. Crisp has found his feet, De Goey is a gem - great decision maker and disposals are very good under pressure. Adams although never going to be a good disposal man is hard as nails and great in the trenches. Grundy would have learnt something yesterday as would have Witts (sorry for nick naming you F-ark) Goldy is the best ruckman going around.
All in all so much to look forward too and like I have repeated I feel like we are in 2007 again and on for the ride to who knows what.

Floreat Pica

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:54 am

So proud, it was the best win so far. Sure we made mistakes but there was a lot of heart and belief in we brought after half time . I reckon Rocca giving them a spray as they went up the race at half time was vintage . Fasolo , Sidey and Swan led the way along with Crisp. Elliot willed us back into the game, he never gives up. Also Browny turned it around in the second half down back . DeGeoy's clearance work with Marley Willliams streaming off half back was a sight to behold, very happy with our future keep it coming lads.

www.facebook/the hybernators
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:58 am

Great effort to not give up and keep the faith and be in a position to grab the win. But sheesh, North really butchered it in the second half. Pretty much gifted the win to us.
I am trying to decide whether we played worse in the first half than they did in the second, and if we played better in the second than them in the first. I suppose it's pretty even all up and hence the relatively narrow margin.
So much improving to do.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:59 am

Just noticed on the replay that we activated the "Game Over" gold LED boarding BEFORE the final siren went. Awesome. Just to rub it into the opposition who might still think that they’re some sort of a chance. That was the best LED innovation I've seen so far.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:07 am

GoWoodsmen wrote:
Surprisingly unbiased commentary from Channel 7. I didn't have it on mute coz I knew the result. For once they weren't barracking for North to get back in it, just calling it as the exciting contest it was.

Yep I saw the replay on Fox too and the commentary was great, unbiased and to the point. I immediately thought that this was mainly because Dunstall and Brown weren't anywhere near the joint. Twas a real pleasure not to have their biased company.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:12 am

Johnno75 wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Very satisfying win that. Next!

No way..........The bigpond vidoes are going to get a working over this week watching that 2nd half over and over again.

Didn't think for a second that replays won't get a pounding...
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:18 am

NM knew they were shot in that last quarter, I noticed when they kicked 2 goals in a row, their body language spoke volumes.
Their shoulders were hunched, their heads were down, they weren't pumped at all...

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:20 am

didick wrote:
Great effort to not give up and keep the faith and be in a position to grab the win. But sheesh, North really butchered it in the second half. Pretty much gifted the win to us.
I am trying to decide whether we played worse in the first half than they did in the second, and if we played better in the second than them in the first. I suppose it's pretty even all up and hence the relatively narrow margin.
So much improving to do.

As we did in the 1st half. From memory half time DE% was Pies 54%, Roos 78%. By the end of the game it was Pies 64%, Roos 69%.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:37 am

thompsoc wrote:
Crisp was friggin amazing.
What a pickup.
Not the flashest player but has he got grunt!

A bit of genuine man love here for Crisp. I was absolutely bloody rapt in his game yesterday. He is only 21 so he will continue to improve. What a gem of a find Laughing

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:02 pm

Lazza wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
What a pickup.

A bit of genuine man love here for Crisp. I was absolutely bloody rapt in his game yesterday. He is only 21 so he will continue to improve. What a gem of a find Laughing

Well we didn't actually find him, we just took him out of the Bears cesspool and gave him a chance.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:09 pm

jackcass wrote:
Lazza wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
What a pickup.

Well we didn't actually find him, we just took him out of the Bears cesspool and gave him a chance.

was he offered to us (and we did the due dilligence) or did we identify him as the one we wanted?

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:10 pm

John Wren wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Lazza wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
What a pickup.

was he offered to us (and we did the due dilligence) or did we identify him as the one we wanted?

Will we ever know?
punkologist Aries

Barwick goals, the pies are home!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:18 pm

I finally had a game that didn't have any other conflicting events like A-League grand finals and wiggles concerts.

I brought my 2 1/2 year old daughter along for her first full game (she has come and gone home at half time in the past).

She loved it and Mrs Punkologist loved having a day to herself to rearrange the furniture at home lol.

What a great game. That 3rd quarter was magical. N31 was rocking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14   

Jump to: