Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How a drinker trains for a marathon.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Skids wrote:
Sunday morning, up at 4:30 after an early night. Did the 5k jog, shower and in bed by 7:30pm. An alcohol free day too☺
So much easier to not eat too much on-site and drink way less.
Every morning i have the ;greek yoggurt, banana, honey & chia.
Smoko is a toasted ham or chicken and cheeses sanga.
Lunch is cold meat and salad, except today, it's BBQ lunch.
Also eat an apple or 2, orange and mandarin.
I rarely go to the mess for dinner, just have some tinned fish.

Apart from 2 or 3 cups of tea during the day, I only drink water. This time of year, in the milder weather (29 today), it's 3 to 4 litres.

Tonight is the 14k run. 3 of us doing it. Pretty good fun running on tracks through the desert with headlamps on. I'll probably have a few beers after the run.

4 weeks until the marathon👍

Mines?

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:31 pm

Yeah TP, middle of nowhere. Meekatharra is the closest town, 160k southwest of here.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:05 pm

Gees I'd drink more, not less! You have telly yeah?!
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:21 pm

Yeah, limited Foxtel with movies, sport, fox 8 and a few doco channels.
12hr days, 5:30 - 5:30, finish run about 7 tonight, couple of beers and be sleepin' before 9.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:53 pm

Skids wrote:
Yeah, limited Foxtel with movies, sport, fox 8 and a few doco channels.
12hr days, 5:30 - 5:30, finish run about 7 tonight, couple of beers and be sleepin' before 9.
at least it's warm!

Brrrrrrrr

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:12 pm

Lunch was a steak & 2 snagas.

14k run @ 5:19/km pace. Feeling good!

Little tin of baked beans for dinner, on my 2nd can of XXXX Gold and be in bed soon. Next 2 days are rest days.👍

Monday - did half an hour of weights & push ups.

Had the usual yoghurt mix + 2 poached eggs, 5 fish fingers & some mushrooms.
A toasted chicken n cheese sanga at smoko.
Little bit of chicken & salad for lunch + tin of baked beans.
2 x bananas, 1 orange & 1 apple.
Walked past the managers meeting room and spotted some biscuits on the table, couldn't resist. Had a monte carlo & a shortbread cream 😆.

I'm getting back into the green tea, had 3 cups today. Plus the usual 4 litres of water.

Dinner is a tin of sardines + i think I'll have half a dozen mids tonight with the boys to celebrate the win over the D's 😊

Tuesday - just work, no trainning at all today.

Breakfast - the usual yoghurt combo
Smoko - toasted ham, cheese, tomatoe & onion on multigrain.
Lunch - 1/4 chicken and salad.
Dinner - 1/4 chicken.

Plus - banana x 2, an apple & an orange.
3 x green tea, 4 x lires water, 4 x Coopers Mild.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:42 am

Back on the track last night did a slow 6k run as per my program. Felt too easy👍
Diet has been really good this week;
Wednesday - usual yoghurt, chia, banana & honey breakfast.
Toasted Ham, cheese, tomatoe & onion for smoko.
Tin of baked beans & heaps of celery for lunch.
Had dinner in the mess for the first time this swing, fish & a big pile of veges.
Water and green tea thru the day.

Todd bogged the forklift so went down to the wetty for the carton, had 7 Coopers Mild.

Same breakfast today in preperation for my 9k fast run this arvo. Going to go for 4:50 per k pace. Then it's our fly out night BBQ so no doubt a few coldies tonight.

Feeling really good, the belt has come in another notch and I'm as fresh as I've ever been. Big 35k run coming up on Sunday, then the taper starts. 24 sleeps until the Marathon 👍

Smashed the 9k in just over 43 minutes, average pace 4:48. Flying!!!

8 mids and a steak for dinner👌 Home tomorrow night, rest day with a couple of billys and plenty of brews👍

Friday ...... ate pretty well all day before getting on the flight home at 4pm. They give us a ham & salad sanga, a pear & a little chocolate.
Straight to the bottleshop. Must of had 15 Coopers. Cooked a steak and chops on the bbq for dinner. Had potatoes, cabbage, brocolini, pumpkin and onion.

Today (Saturday ) is a slow 5k in prep for the 35k tomorrow.. going to lay off the piss today😆

Last edited by Skids on Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:13 am; edited 2 times in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:49 am

I was about to go in the gym, but now I'm exhausted after reading that!
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:23 am

The no beers on Saturday was going fine until I lit the BBQ. 1:30pm cracked my first of what turned out to be 12 mids for the day. Had a nice big beef kebab and a snaga. Dinner was a tuna pasta and in bed by 8:30pm.
Woke up 5:30am, wishing I hadn't had that many! Had a quick shower, a bit of toast and vegemite and 600ml of Endura. Packed 1 gel, 5 squares of chocolate and the dunny paper in the hydration belt. My iPod has shit itself so no tunes fir my 35k journey.
It's cold and dark as I set off. My pace is supposed to be 5:30. I struggle through the first k .... 6:09.... shit, not the start i was looking for!
I get my shit together and string a few k's together around the 5:20 mark. 6ks in and I need a dump already! I find a spot on the verge of Hepburn Ave and get rid of that.
9k in and i get to Hillarys, not too many people on the coast yet, a few other joggers. The ocean looks calm, I'm in a nice rythm now and soon start to put some seconds in the bank. I run diwn the coast past North Beach, Watermans Bay and it's getting light as I cruise past Trigg point. A bit more activity now, surfers, runners and people walking their dogs have arisen.
Along Through Scarborough and down to the Brighton dog beach. 17.5k, I turn around for the journey back. Stop at the toilets at the dog beach. I take my gel and fill my water bottles. These gels actually work and i get a bit of a kick on.
I get back to Hillarys and start the last 7k east, uphill and into a 10kph head wind. I've got about a minute in the bank.
14 seconds of my bank are gone up that big long hill to Marmion Ave. I eat my first couple of sqaures of chocolate.
30k down, 5 to go and I've slowed down to 5:40 pace. More hills and the wind seems to have picked up. I chomp thru my last few bits of chocolate.
I push out the last k in exactly 6 minutes. 3:14:27 fir an average pace of 5:32.

Shower and drink plenty of Endura. Not long til the boys rock up to watch the game. 11:10am start in Perth. The first beer is cracked at the bounce.

Plenty of tucker, I'm starving. Kebabs and snags as the BBQ stays on all thru the game. The Captain rocks up with some gunja, the perfect cure for my aching legs!
More beer & i cook up some hamburgers. Have one with; egg, cheese, tomatoe & beetroot.... delish!

Everyones gone by 4pm. I've had at least 15 beers and 4 billies. Me n Kel watch Tge Gambler on Fox and it's Milo and munchie time. Some chocolate and a paddle pop before i pass out about 9pm.

Been awake since 2am, my legs are aching and keeping me awake. I put the kettle in at 3am and I'm in bed with a cup of tea watching Good morning america.

I need drugs, legs so sore.☕

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:58 am

Gees, I can't imagine working those shifts, AND. Doing that training. Well done.

Though how your engine still turns on that fuel is beyond me! Cheers

It's 7am, about to head off to the pool for about a 1.5 k swim, praying the water is warmer than ice! Brrrr

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:42 am

Ended up popping 2 nurofen about 4:30 and crashing. Up at 7 when daughters alarm went off and Madonna started blarring through the house.

Feel good, that's the last long run until Marathon day. It's all about "tapering and race day phase" from here, as my plan informs me.... "Both the mileage and intensity of training is reduced to allow the body to recover and overcompensate"
"Race pace training is added to keep the body accustomed to the pace required for race day"

Ran a total of 55k's last week and over 160k's during the last 3 weeks.
Two days rest now then it's: Wed- 5k jog @ 6:30 min/km
Thur- 9k race pace @ 5:25 min/km
Sat - 5k jog @ 6:30 min/km
Sun- 18k race pace @ 5:25 min/km
Only 37k this week. I don't go back to work until the 19th of July now. Next swing is replaced with a crane course in Perth and the following swing is leave. Also get to watch the boys take on Freo at Subi. We'll start outsiders for that one but I won't be surprised one bit if we hit ém hard and pinch that one.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:41 am

The past week on break has been awesome!
Went to Rottnest on Tuesday, rode our bikes all over tge island, 60k in total. We also did a 5k jog Wednesday morning. Lots of beer, carton of heineken, 6 pack of Becks and a few pints at the pub. Food intake was pretty good but multiple joints saw the addition of ; TimTams, BBQ chips and a few other snack items.
During the last few days been putting plenty of beers away, even a 6 pack of bundy & coke watching the Origin game.

Early morning 8k soft sand run on the beach Thursday. Pissing down with rain and completed with me throwing up those rum cans in the carpark.

It's an 18k race pace run tomorrow, 2 weeks until race day.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:26 pm

Todays plan was to get up at 5:10am and finish the 18k before going to watch the nephews U/9s up at Mundaring. Was absolutely bucketing down when the alarm went off so I went back to sleep.
Got back from the footy at about 11 and set off on the 18k, meant to be 5:25 pace. First 6k down Hepburn Ave straight into a 30kt head wind. Feeling good so I push it hard, do a couple of sub 5:00 k's and when I turn North on Marmion my average pace is around 5:06.
It's a crosswind for the next 4ks and pissing down with rain, I take my first gel at the 9k mark.
Then it's East on Whitfords Ave with that wind at my back.Holding the pace around 5:10 but a few nasty hills slow me down a bit.
I get to Wanneroo Rd and head south, take the 2nd gel, the wind has swung a bit and it's basically a headwind for the last 4ks.
I'm soaked and starting to feel the pinch, the last few ks are hard work.
I stop the clock, average pace 5:13/per k, I'm happy with that.

Just about to tuck into this awesome Broccoli soup Kelly made last night. Had a Bacon & Egg roll at the footy.

Bottleshop after this feed for a few well earned brews.

Can't believe it's only 13 sleeps until the marathon! I'm ready!

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:28 pm

I observed two humanoids holding hands.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:40 pm

10 days to go!!

Did my 9k at race pace run tonight. Being at home and doing a course is a bit different (I should be on-site now). Kelly got up early this morning and made me a poached egg with spinach and tomato on toast for brekky. Lunch at the course was a chicken & chips box along with 4 apples and a mandarin. Dinner was an asparagus soup that Kelly made, bloody delish!

I've only been having 4 or 5 mid strengths a day the last few days, amazing how quick the kilos drop off when the beer intake is less.

Off to the game tomorrow night so it's bound to be a pissy affair, especially if we can knock ém off!

5k jog Saturday. 14k race pace run Sunday then just a couple of short slow ones next week. We leave Perth next Wednesday.

My goal is definitely 3hr's 45minutes. The day after my 48th birthday, maybe a six pack the night before??!!??

Not smoked much gunja this week. Not through lack of wanting to, just lack of supply Laughing That should be rectified in the coming days Wink Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 4 of 17   

Jump to: