Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

NITV - Awaken programme discussing the race issue in AFL:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:04 pm
Post subject: NITV - Awaken programme discussing the race issue in AFL:Reply with quote

Insightful programme last night on NITV called AWAKEN - hosted by Stan Grant.

This show interviewed 4 people & discussed the impetus for the AFL groundbreaking policy regarding race - Nicky Winmar at Vic Park & Damien Monkhorst.It also discussed how far we've come in such a short space of time & how much there still is to do. It also looked at different ways of seeing. The historian Professor Tatz provides some challenging insights.

* Michael Long
* Gilbert McAdam
* Professor Colin Tatz - a historian specializing on race & sport & Genocide studies previously
* Tony Peek - assistant to the CEO of the AFL (involved in developing the policy 20 years ago.

Great programme - worth a watch.

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/1565/awaken

(Mind you the programme title AWAKEN & the colour of the graphics make it seem like it's gunna be some nutty right wing Christian TV show host proselytising on channel 10 where Benny Hinn, Bernie Finn & Tammy May are gunna preach the devil out of you...but I digress).

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting, will give it a view. Reckon Goodes went a bit over the top last night, all that prancing around, he does tend now to be a bit of a showoff at times. Nothing to do with race, its his personallity and ego runniing a bit rampant at times.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
winpies Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:12 am

Piesnchess wrote:
Reckon Goodes went a bit over the top last night, all that prancing around, he does tend now to be a bit of a showoff at times. Nothing to do with race, its his personallity and ego runniing a bit rampant at times.

I agree. I also heard Robbo on 360 say that all the booing of Goodes was racial. Yes I am sure some of it is but not all. Can't we boo people because we just don't like them? I don't like Goodes at all. Plain and simple..no racism involved.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:54 am

People don't like Goodes because he has an agenda, and he's also an imbecile.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
magpie1111 

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:50 am

Goodes will be on the racism gravey train for the rest of his life
Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:54 am

Goodes is a great guy and a great footballer. Never had any problem with him, and not sure why some people seem to. I've heard people say "it's because he's a dick" but hey, that's footy.
Flashman 

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:42 pm

I've always thought Goodes was a sensational player (watch his 2012 GF performance on one leg to see what a champion he is) and a good bloke.

But people pay their money to go to the footy and should be free to boo him if they so desire. Goodes should take it as a compliment because people only boo guns as Buckley, Hird, Carey etc will attest to.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:07 pm

The day will come when an aboriginal player will be booed because they are a good player who annoys the opposition supporters due totheir football ability like Bux used to cop figjam - it was jealousy.

Not all boos directed at Goodes are because he is a strong and proud aboriginal who likes to stir the pot - but many are

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: