Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

FIFA Case: Corruption, Derr Freddy, or Business Opportunism?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:23 am
Post subject: FIFA Case: Corruption, Derr Freddy, or Business Opportunism?Reply with quote

Not unexpected whate'er...

news.com.au wrote:
A BRIEFCASE weighed down with $10 million bundled into $10,000 stacks was passed from South African to FIFA officials in Paris in the lead up to the announcement of who would host the 2010 World Cup.

This is just one of the stunning accusations against football officials, 14 of who have now been charged with racketeering, wire fraud and money laundering conspiracies.

The charges date back to 1991, with the 14 officials now facing extradition orders from the US, who are leading the push to clean up the world game.

The US court papers also allege that an Asian high ranking official contesting the 2011 FIFA presidential election arranged for envelopes stuffed with $40,000 in cash to be handed to members of the Caribbean Football Union in order to secure votes.

Football Federation Australia officials are on their way to Zurich and have released a statement on Thursday morning: “The FFA delegation led by CEO David Gallop arrived in Zurich late Wednesday night (Australian time) ahead of the 2015 FIFA Congress. FFA Chairman Frank Lowy is expected to arrive in Zurich tonight (Australian time).

“The Australian delegation will review the developments involving Swiss and US law enforcement authorities over the conduct of FIFA officials. FFA expects to issue a further statement tonight.”

Lawyer General Loretta Lynch said $110 million bribes were also paid in preparation for the 2016 Copa America — which is being held in the United States for the first time.

“Our investigation revealed that what should be an expression of international sportsmanship was used as a vehicle in a broader scheme to line executives’ pockets,” she said.

Lynch unveiled the complex international investigation spanning years, after seven soccer officials were arrested in Zurich in dawn raids by Swiss police acting at US request.

The 47-count US indictment charges 14 soccer officials and marketing executives with conspiracies that span 24 years beginning in 1991.
The officials are charged with conspiring to solicit and receive more than $150 million in bribes and kickbacks in exchange for the support of US and South American sports marketing executives who agreed to make the illegal payments.

“They corrupted the business of worldwide soccer to serve their interests and to enrich themselves,” Lynch told a packed news conference in New York.
“This Department of Justice is determined to end these practices to root out corruption and bring wrongdoers to justice.”

Racketeering, the most serious charge, carries a maximum punishment of 20 years if defendants are convicted at trial. Other crimes in the indictment are punishable by up to five and 10 years in jail.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/fifa-corruption-investigation-us-attorney-general-says-extradition-application-just-the-beginning/story-fndkzvnd-1227372132878

SMH wrote:
FIFA insists the 2018 and 2022 World Cups will still go ahead in Russia and Qatar despite a dramatic early morning swoop by Swiss authorities to arrest several top soccer officials and extradite them to the US on federal corruption charges. A seventh top football official was later arrested.

In a massive blow to the already tarnished reputation of FIFA and its under-fire general secretary Sepp Blatter the Swiss attorney-general's office confirmed it had opened criminal proceedings relating to mismanagement and money laundering in connection with the 2018 and 2022 bids.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/fifa-corruption-2018-2022-world-cup-bids-targeted-in-swiss-probe-20150527-ghb3zd.html

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Steady on old chap. The players cheat like crazy, why shouldn't the officials also comply with the spirit of the game?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:22 pm

Not a big surprise, but I'm happy that this is being exposed. Next, the IOC!

(BTW, this is a bit all over the shop, but I found it briefly amusing:

http://youtu.be/DE_xIIwnMgo)

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:17 pm

I was watching the Sky News report and the way they were talking about the bids for different tournaments being funded by bribes. It seemed like they were shocked, most people had this opinion at least two decades ago. It was more newsworthy when Qatar were given the World Cup, after all they did to win their bid.

I would wonder if they are forced to give back the money, the cars, and everything else they were given during the Qatar bid.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:34 pm

I doubt they'll find much use for them in prison.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:37 pm

Well yeah true, but I am sure there are still a few they've not yet captured to face the music. I would hope that some of them spill the beans and bring the rest down and that they strip some of these places of future tournaments if they've found to have taken bribes which they have for Qatar, it's pretty much been out there since it happened.

It will be interesting to see if they are truly serious about stamping out the corruption or if this was just a public song and dance to make sure he was re-elected as FIFA President.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:01 pm

The bribes were to knock Australia out in the first round weren't they? We were considered a very strong bid but went soft in the bribes.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:10 pm

Pretty cheeky of the yanks given coca cola funded and paid for IOC officials to scupper Melbournes bid for the 1996 Olympics in favour of Atlanta. And the Sydenee officials were right in it.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:13 pm

Pretty much, eh?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:01 pm

ronrat wrote:
Pretty cheeky of the yanks given coca cola funded and paid for IOC officials to scupper Melbournes bid for the 1996 Olympics in favour of Atlanta. And the Sydenee officials were right in it.

They're all up to their necks in it. Which is one of the reasons I laugh when the IOC lecture athletes on proper behaviour in their private lives. Massive hypocrites.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:00 am

I'm amazed it's taken this long for these revelations to come light. The decision by FIFA and its officials to award Qatar the hosting rights for the World Cup in 2022 was absurd. Qatar's right to host the World Cup in 2022 is the outcome of greed, corruption and dishonesty. I can tolerate Russia hosting it in 2018 but even that has strong suspicions of corruption as well but at least Russia would do a competent job of hosting the World Cup in my opinion plus it's only three years away now so I doubt they'll be changing it now.

If Sepp Blatter had any decency he would resign from his position within FIFA effective immediately. He's been the head of FIFA since 1998 and is planning to run for re-election for the position again but surely the time has come for him to leave his position now after numerous calls from different corners advising him to step down. This latest scandal makes a mockery of him in a number of possible ways and these are the possible scenarios that could potentially befall him:

1). He's just as corrupt as the other FIFA officials but been able to cover his tracks more effectively than the other.
2). He wasn't involved in any corruption but he was aware of it and turned a blind eye to it and therefore condoned the corruption existent within FIFA; or
3). He had absolutely no idea about what was going on and as a result of this is indicative of his incompetence and stupidity and as a result his position within FIFA would be increasingly untenable.

Overall it's fantastic seeing this being revealed because FIFA needs a big shake up after the outrageous amount of corruption that has occurred inside this footballing body.

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:01 pm

Any bribes to STOP you playing soccer David?? Laughing
Any further bribes to get you to wear bigger shorts?? Laughing
How did you lose with that guy on your team with the hipster beard?? He could clearly play a little bit.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:58 pm

Yeah, he's one of the better ones. Ironically, the guy who was filming is probably our best player, but we have a rotation policy (i.e. I play when it's time for us to lose).

As for the shorts, no comment!

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:22 pm

They found out something that Everyone Already Knew
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:31 pm

The Prototype wrote:
I was watching the Sky News report and the way they were talking about the bids for different tournaments being funded by bribes. It seemed like they were shocked, most people had this opinion at least two decades ago. It was more newsworthy when Qatar were given the World Cup, after all they did to win their bid.

I would wonder if they are forced to give back the money, the cars, and everything else they were given during the Qatar bid.

and Qatar and Russia to be Stripped of the World Cups.

Thought the Yanks would try and get the Hosting Rights to at least 1 of them

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: