Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Why do they do it?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:54 pm
Post subject: Why do they do it?Reply with quote

Let themselves go I mean.
Watching the State of Origin tonight and Mel Meninga looks like a big fat sack of shit. He's only 54. Eddie at 50 looks like a heart attack waiting to happen.

So many ex footballers (and Ed) in all codes just seem to let themselves turn into big fat beanbags when they retire. Surely the importance of looking after yourself is well instilled into these guys, yet they seem to not care?

Ed has all the facilities at his fingertips but obviously chooses not to use them. It just amazes me?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:07 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Eddie was never a professional athlete, so I'm not sure what the connection is here. As for Meninga, he was always a bulky bloke, wasn't he? Perhaps the more pertinent question is, why did he stay fit for so long?

Let's face it: most of us aren't going to go running over sand dunes if no-one's making us. Getting fat in old age is a pretty normal thing to do.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:32 am

Because they been in such a Strict Meal Plans and eve thing they eat is Monitered.

So when they Retire they eat what the always wanted to eat

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:35 am

50 is hardly old, and by saying it's the norm, your accepting mediocrity.

It's more important to keep fit as you get older. It keeps your mind sharp, lubricates your joints, builds lost bone density, helps balance. Which all helps to protect you as you do get old, 70 plus, from broken hips and other things.

I get the Eddie comment. He made an effort to get fit a couple of years back. He can afford a nutritionist, he has state of the art equipment, and coaches on tap. Conditioning, massage etc, my idea of heaven

As for sporting poeople gaining weight, it's like gambling, ok have a flutter, but realise if you go in too deep, it's bloody hard to get back out! Being fit, being capable of exerting yourself without dropping dead, it just feels so good. Natural endorphins.

You go on about what the Government is doing to improve our minds, but what's the point if your body is dead at 50?

You might want to try those sand dunes, it's more fun than you realise! I'm 51, and I'm a long way from done yet! Cheers

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:47 am

I'd love to stay fit in middle-age and beyond, but I just can't see myself ever making the gym or serious running a priority (though I do enjoy competitive sports like tennis and soccer). Someone as busy as Eddie probably has other priorities as well.

As Dave said above, I completely understand the mentality of a sportsperson who has finally been liberated from their highly regimented lifestyle. Which is actually a good argument against too much perfectionism in this area (whether imposed internally or externally)—moderation should always be the key.

(BTW, always avoid nutritionists! They're mostly quacks. Dieticians are where it's at.)

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:10 am

If you're rich who cares if you're fat.

The chicks certainly don't.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:14 am

David wrote:
I'd love to stay fit in middle-age and beyond, but I just can't see myself ever making the gym or serious running a priority (though I do enjoy competitive sports like tennis and soccer). Someone as busy as Eddie probably has other priorities as well.

As Dave said above, I completely understand the mentality of a sportsperson who has finally been liberated from their highly regimented lifestyle. Which is actually a good argument against too much perfectionism in this area (whether imposed internally or externally)—moderation should always be the key.

(BTW, always avoid nutritionists! They're mostly quacks. Dieticians are where it's at.)

Yeah well juniors uni sports nutritionist course has some very interesting subjects, including the sciences. Nutrition is more important that diet in my humble opinion. It's not just the calories you eat, it's what they do for ya!

Someone as busy as Eddie needs to make his health a priority, might stop a melt down. Anyone can take a walk for half an hour, before brekky, while he talks on the phone, take the kids to the part, walk around the oval at the kids footy training, running from paps should help!

That competitive sport you like may be your downfall with out doing conditional training for it. The older you get, the more important it is. When your a teenager yo u can skip the warm ups and cool downs sometimes, adults do it and it's hello surgeon!

I get the liberation thing, but when you've been in shape, looking good, it feels crap to lose that!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:26 am

I always try to do the warm-ups, but I definitely could be a lot fitter. I can spint, but no endurance whatsoever.

Honestly, though, exercise is the last thing on my mind at the moment. I've only been to the cinema by myself twice in the last six months. Sad Such are the sacrifices of new parenthood.

partypie 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:09 am

No wonder it seems so hard to get the athletes to swallow the stuff about being role models when their role models don't take it seriously themselves.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:09 am

David wrote:
I always try to do the warm-ups, but I definitely could be a lot fitter. I can spint, but no endurance whatsoever.

Honestly, though, exercise is the last thing on my mind at the moment. I've only been to the cinema by myself twice in the last six months. Sad Such are the sacrifices of new parenthood.

Push the pram

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:25 am

partypie wrote:
No wonder it seems so hard to get the athletes to swallow the stuff about being role models when their role models don't take it seriously themselves.

God don't start David on role models!

I guess when it's no longer their job a lot just let themselves go. It can't be easy being so regimented, but the pay off is bloody good if you make it. Aside from the dollars, there is the feel good factor.

I'm guessing they become like normal folk, it's so easy to let your health get away from you, most people put on weight if the maths of what they eat and expend don't compute. (David, you don't know cos your naturally skinny, it would be hard for you to get plump) the worse it gets, the longer you leave it, the harder it becomes to JFDI!

The bit I don't get is why they let it happen, when they know how hard it is to get back to fit and in shape. (I'm talking athletic body shape David, not skinny, anorexic or air brushed!) not too many athletes go their career with out an injury sidelining them, and when it does, getting the lost fitness level back, hurts. So they know it's easier to stay focused.

Just like us normal people, getting there is hard, staying there might seem hard because you don't get the adrenalin rush from achieving goals on the scales, or the field, but getting back there, sucks!

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:03 am

David wrote:

What other priority could there be more important than your health? Confused

I just threw Ed in there as he is our (high profile) President & watching him being interviewed a few weeks back, well he just looked terrible. Red & bloated.

Big Monkhurst must be about 40kg over weight and Michael Long, Jesus, his head looks tiny on that monstrous torso.

On the other side of the coi n, look at guys like; Alisair Lynch & Bucks. They obviously have just as hectic schedules as the doughboys mentioned above.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:10 am

I err towards Skids here. When I get a beer gut, I have no other term for it but a beer gut. On the other hand, superfit is awesome (me: 2013), though a modest beer gut is still a useful warning (me: 2015).

But life is full of many priorities. E.g., what is better, an extra two years, or two of the best years of your life doing X which involved drinking like a swine?

These are not simple judgements.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:39 am

It's all about balance. I'm a drinker with a running problem😂
I gave up smoking on my 40th birtday and the scales didn't take long to creep up to and beyond the 100kg mark😲
I started walking/running and soon became addicted to it. I've run 16 half marathons and a full one since then and have the Gold Coast marathon the day after my 48th birthday on the 5th of July.
I feel so much better and it's great when people guess your age to be late 30's 😊

I hope Ed pulls his finger out, no good being the richest bloke in the cemetry mate.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:53 am

Skids wrote:
I'm a drinker with a running problem...

Hmm. Can we somehow patent that? Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: