Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Children from gay couples oppose gay marriage

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:48 pm
Post subject: Re: Children from gay couples oppose gay marriageReply with quote

thebaldfacts wrote:
Interesting point of view from some who have grown up in same sex relationships. Some of it rather disturbing to be honest.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/lauretta-brown/adults-raised-gay-couples-speak-out-against-gay-marriage-federal-court

The balanced facts...
Here's some interesting points of view of just some of the children that have grown up in hetrosexual relationships.
All of it more than disturbing than tbf's 4 person survey (to be honest)...

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=children%20raped%20by%20their%20parents
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the statistically relevant studies before bending over backwards to appear oh so tolerant and progressive. No I'm not going to spoonfeed, but here's an MSM article on the study. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/kids-of-gay-parents-fare-worse-study-finds-but-draws-fire-from-experts/

Even with half the article devoted to the assertions of interest groups it should serve as a launching pad to actually study the issue and not just spout progressive platitudes.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:27 pm

3.14159 wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:
Interesting point of view from some who have grown up in same sex relationships. Some of it rather disturbing to be honest.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/lauretta-brown/adults-raised-gay-couples-speak-out-against-gay-marriage-federal-court

The balanced facts...
Here's some interesting points of view of just some of the children that have grown up in hetrosexual relationships.
All of it more than disturbing than tbf's 4 person survey (to be honest)...

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=children%20raped%20by%20their%20parents

Cherry picking anecdotes is useless.
http://www.smh.com.au/national/named-the-australian-paedophile-jailed-for-40-years-20130630-2p5da.html
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:37 pm

Wokko wrote:

I thought you said you had access to a dictionary?

cherry-pick
verb...
present participle: cherry-picking
selectively choose (the most beneficial or profitable items, opportunities, etc.) from what is available.

... Providing a link that runs to 28 Google pages isn't cherry-picking.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:15 pm

If you think that parents raping children is anywhere near a statistical norm then there is no hope for you.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:17 pm

3.14159 wrote:
Wokko wrote:

I thought you said you had access to a dictionary?

cherry-pick
verb...
present participle: cherry-picking
selectively choose (the most beneficial or profitable items, opportunities, etc.) from what is available.

... Providing a link that runs to 28 Google pages isn't cherry-picking.

doing a google search with the search term "Parents raping children" is a pretty loaded way to prove a point. Plus factor in that many of those links will reference the same material multiple times so you don't have 28 pages of individual instances.

When the question of whether a gay couple could raise a kid as well as a hetrosexual couple is asked, the first thing that goes through my mind is that I've met and known of some seriously crap hetrosexual parents. There may be some issues that arise purely because of having homosexual parents, but not large enough or unmanageable enough to counteract the inherent good will of someone who actively has to decide to want to have children vs some of the spuds who just become parents.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:19 pm

Can we all just agree that citing anecdotes is no way to have a proper argument about social issues and actually look at some surveys?

Wokko provided one a few posts up, but it looks pretty dubious for a range of reasons.

There's even the question of whether, if you could somehow prove that same-sex couples (or Greek couples, or red-heads, or people from Frankston) were on average 5% worse at parenting than 'normal' white-picket-fence heterosexual couples, that would be sufficient reason to deny all such couples the right to get married or have kids. I wouldn't have thought so.

As someone might have once said, extraordinary discrimination requires extraordinary data. We don't have any such data right now, so the point is moot.

Last edited by David on Thu May 28, 2015 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:26 pm

It's certainly not definitive David, but I haven't seen better. I imagine finding statistically significant samples isn't easy.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:01 pm

Wokko wrote:
It's certainly not definitive David, but I haven't seen better. I imagine finding statistically significant samples isn't easy.

Well, Grandma Jones' high jump numbers are better than Grandma Smith's, but neither neither are in contention for a berth at the Olympics.

But validity in all its guises is a complete mess here, so it's actually a case of Grandma Jones' and Grandma Smith's high jump numbers being used to pick the 4x400m relay team Exclamation

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:06 pm

Wokko wrote:
If you think that parents raping children is anywhere near a statistical norm then there is no hope for you.

Your point (seemed to be) all same sex couples are only in it get their grubby little hands on young children...ergo let's all talk about it!

I was pointing out was children (the world over) are endangered by adults of all sexaul persuasions not just the odd gay ones!

btw,
Thanks for the suggestion I consider I child rape as a "statistical norm"!

If it wasn't so laughable I might have felt insulted!

As the great Oscar Wilde once said...

“We are all of us in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:44 pm

To be fair, 3, I don't think Wokko was saying anything of the sort.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:42 pm

I apparently stihl have a few angry pills floating round my system but this whole thread just seems to me like another intolerant homophobic beat-up by the usual suspects.

It's time to put the kettle on and wonder ydigafintfp?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:20 am

Oh, I quite agree on the purpose of this thread—I think we can all take a wild guess at TBF's stance and the reason for him posting this story. I was more just questioning whether Wokko deserved to be hit with the homophobia stick.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:53 am

I don't, the discussion is about children of homosexual couples. I could say the exact same things about single parent, step parent and blended families with relevant studies but that isn't what we're talking about.

FWIW I'm sure there would be some amazing homosexual parents and some real shockers but the evidence I've seen points to negative outcomes and it would be remiss of a society not to take the into account when social engineering. At the very least there needs to be more and more comprehensive, unbiased studies.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:00 am

^But in the context of this thread, statements like "the evidence I've seen", intentionally or not, amount to weasel words, unless you're referring to some reputable body of evidence.

We have no idea whether "the evidence you've seen" has any meaning whatsoever. Please locate this reputable body of evidence for us, or at least qualify the insufficiency of "the evidence you've seen".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: