Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Goodes: Why am I Booed?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:20 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Jezza, calling someone out for inappropriate behaviour is not "bullying". And a racist comment shouldn't be waved away as just something said "in the heat of the moment".

If this is the main reason that he's getting booed, then that's very sad, because it shows that people have far more empathy for a white girl who—through no-one's fault but her own—had to miss the end of a football game, than for an Aboriginal victim of racism who took a stand against anonymous abuse from the crowd.

You don't have to like him because of it, and I have little opinion either way of his behaviour as a footballer. But if this is why he's getting booed, then, yeah, that's alarming.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:43 am

Because he's a piece of shit who picked on a 13 year old girl, **** him!!

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:26 am

Jezza wrote:
Goodes has been a fine footballer for many years but that's not to say I like the guy at all. I lost a lot of respect for him after he bullied a 13 year old girl because he was referred to as an "ape" by her. I feel like the timing of Goodes 'making a stand against racism' was extremely convenient as it happened to occur in Indigenous Round when he knew he could make a big story about it and as a result use a member of the general public as an example that racism is supposedly still prevalent within football and society in Australia.

I don't like racism by any means but I hate the culture that is developing with people dobbing in one another because someone makes an offensive comment at the game. This idea of the anti-social hotline doesn't sit well with me when it comes to some comments that might be made at the football. I think it's only sufficient when someone is acting in a threatening manner or being physically violent toward someone.

What's the difference between someone calling Jason Dunstall an 'ape' as opposed to Adam Goodes and would anyone be offended if a white player was on the receiving end of such racial abuse? This whole situation with Goodes just reeks of political correctness going too far.

One thing that is irritating me though is this insinuation that booing Adam Goodes automatically means you're a racist. Some may well be booing him for being an Aboriginal man but that's extremely unlikely. Most likely people are booing him for the way he treated a 13 year old girl who made a comment in the heat of the moment and as a result of that won the Australian of the Year which was an incredibly big political stunt and also as a player Goodes has been known to be a favourite for the MRP and umpires. His diving antics have been a disgrace in recent times and his ability to always avoid suspension can be mind-boggling and frustrating at times for opposition supporters. These are bigger reasons why he gets booed as opposed to being an Aboriginal person which I think is the last thing on the overwhelming minds of the general public.

Spot on. Goodes is just another duckwood, or s Johnson, cheating ducking Sook. An an umpire favourite. That's why we hate you Goodes.

The "perfect timing" of this incident is just another look at me moment. Seriously, how does It help? It just makes any divide wider. Reconciliation works both ways.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:34 am

David wrote:
Jezza, calling someone out for inappropriate behaviour is not "bullying". And a racist comment shouldn't be waved away as just something said "in the heat of the moment".

If this is the main reason that he's getting booed, then that's very sad, because it shows that people have far more empathy for a white girl who—through no-one's fault but her own—had to miss the end of a football game, than for an Aboriginal victim of racism who took a stand against anonymous abuse from the crowd.

You don't have to like him because of it, and I have little opinion either way of his behaviour as a footballer. But if this is why he's getting booed, then, yeah, that's alarming.

So no matter how many times that kid says she called him an ape for the same reason Jason Dunstal could be called an ape, you don't ever give her the benefit of the doubt? No matter how many people tell you we boo him for the same reason we boo Duckwood, or the cheating essendope scum, you won't ever believe that? So basically what your saying is we cannot boo him because he is black?

It would be alarming if it was racially driven, I don't for a minute believe it is. I defend that kid, because I've been around enough kids to believe she is telling the truth.

I'm sure some good came out of it, for instance folk at the footy calling out the odd dickhead stupid or drunk enough to say something inappropriate, but when is enough enough? Will it be when the poor kid tops herself? Will bullying her to death do it for you?

He needs to let it go, until he finishes football, and then he can have his political life.

Museman 

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:10 am

David wrote:

Please try to take your moral police hat off and look at this with some logic, 13 she was, you are assuming her intent and what is even more alarming for someone with your apparent intelligence, you are assuming from an adult perspective.
My 16 yo at the time had no concept of "ape" in terms of a racial slur you I and plenty of others may have been brought up hearing this sort of ugly speak....it does not mean all of the current kids are...this country for all it's past and continuing racial issues is slowly on the improve....and no matter what you may like to believe there are some kids brought up today that know very little about racial diversion.

I'd say he's booed for all kinds of varying reasons, little doubt the odd twat would be racially motivated...it would be very low on the list though imo....
One things for sure, when you are giving that many cause...it might be time to reflect on oneself rather than the wider population where Adam generally looks to apportion blame.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:26 am

Museman wrote:

I'd say he's booed for all kinds of varying reasons, little doubt the odd twat would be racially motivated...it would be very low on the list though imo....
One things for sure, when you are giving that many cause...it might be time to reflect on oneself rather than the wider population where Adam generally looks to apportion blame.

Great post, especially the bolded. And as a parent of teenagers the same age at the time, I so get where your coming from.

And isn't this what we tell our kids? Look to your own behaviour first.
jayaykay 

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:36 am

Golden Gordon wrote:
Hawthorn fans are the worst at booing Goodes.

Maybe Hawks fans are so stupid they think it's Franklin they're booing! :p

Please people, don't take the above sentence the wrong way...

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:33 pm

think positive wrote:
So no matter how many times that kid says she called him an ape for the same reason Jason Dunstal could be called an ape, you don't ever give her the benefit of the doubt? No matter how many people tell you we boo him for the same reason we boo Duckwood, or the cheating essendope scum, you won't ever believe that? So basically what your saying is we cannot boo him because he is black?

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that if he is being booed because of the incident in the Collingwood game, then that is a poor reflection on our society.

It is entirely possible that she did not intend it as a racial slur (though you can't possibly know that for sure). But, either way, what she did was unacceptable, and she needed to learn that lesson. That doesn't mean that I condone the treatment of her by ground security or the media.

The most important point here is that Goodes did the right thing. What is alarming is not just that people still don't get that, but that some people are apparently so outraged about him standing up for himself that they think he deserves to be heckled over it.

think positive wrote:
I'm sure some good came out of it, for instance folk at the footy calling out the odd dickhead stupid or drunk enough to say something inappropriate, but when is enough enough? Will it be when the poor kid tops herself? Will bullying her to death do it for you?

Nobody's saying the girl should have been tarred and feathered, and obviously I'd have completely opposed any attempt to go down that path. As I wrote to Jezza above, though, it's actually completely absurd to call what Goodes did "bullying"—he simply pointed the perpetrator out and asked that she be evicted, as any other member of the crowd could have (and should have) done. How does that constitute bullying? And why not take such a strident line against bullies in the crowd yelling out racist insults at players? It's pure selective empathy.

think positive wrote:
He needs to let it go, until he finishes football, and then he can have his political life.

Says who? You're allowed your political views, so why not him?

Perhaps you think Nicky Winmar should have "let it go" too?

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:52 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:

So no matter how many times that kid says she called him an ape for the same reason Jason Dunstal could be called an ape, you don't ever give her the benefit of the doubt?

Dunstall is not a Aboriginal like Goodes is

schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:56 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:

So no matter how many times that kid says she called him an ape for the same reason Jason Dunstal could be called an ape, you don't ever give her the benefit of the doubt?

Thank you captain obvious.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:39 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:

my point exactly. she said, and i believe her, she called him an ape because he is a great hulking male, with facial hair that, yes does make him look like an ape! Dunstal would not be upset, why is Goodes? because he took it the wrong way.
david, (not dave!!) uve told me and others in the tavern "well once we put hurt feelings about snobbish discourse to one side" (ie get over yourself) i dont see anyone bending over backwards to apologize.

you say he did absolutely the right thing. which particular sooky fit are you talking about?

and she just about has been tarred and feathered, why is she the only one not granted "innocent until proven guilty?" there are three sides to every story you know, and yet you just blindly follow his.

of course if he were being booed for what he thinks happened (which his arrogant highness obviously still thinks) it would be bad, it needs to be put to bed. and yet he keeps bringing it up!

as someone else said, maybe, since its not just collingwood fans (not sure how much black and white was at a hawks/swans game) and since everyone else hates us, they werent booing about that, he might want to take a look at his behaviour.

he is a dirty player these days, and as with steve johnson, thats what people dont like. it wouldnt matter if he was $£$%^%%$ albino!

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:06 pm

So he got booed because racism, but Jetta didn't because...?

Buddy would've got booed more if he got a touch because he left Hawthorn. He's indigenous too but the boos would never get attributed to that. Carey, Lloyd and Buckley got booed more than just about anyone I've seen, why?

Goode's is simply a twat, that's why he gets booed. End of.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:31 pm

Well you see Adam, when you provide a "look at me" moment, you open yourself to be judged.
This is neither good, bad, or indifferent, it just IS.

Some of that judgement is supportive, good for you.
But some is the opposite.

This is pretty inevitable you know, the old thing about people thinking for themselves is going to provide some different thought processes and allow for different opinions to come through.
Of those that weren't/aren't supportive of your actions, and indeed your general demeanour, some choose to boo you.
It's not really that hard to work through is it??

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:51 pm

David wrote:

The most important point here is that Goodes did the right thing. What is alarming is not just that people still don't get that, but that some people are apparently so outraged about him standing up for himself that they think he deserves to be heckled over it.

No. What's alarming is your ego.
In your opinion Goodes did the right thing.
In many people's opinions he didn't.

Stop dressing up your opinion as fact.

A broader life example -
I'm taking a wild guess that you would've been a massive advocate for going straight to the teacher at school as soon as someone had done something wrong by you, where as others were taught to handle matters on their own without calling in authority.
You cannot label one course of action right and the other wrong, it depends how you were brought up, it depends on your own ethics & morals, it depends on your current surroundings, it depends on a number of factors.

Diff'rent strokes for different folks and all that........

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:36 pm

King Monkey wrote:
David wrote:

No. What's alarming is your ego.
In your opinion Goodes did the right thing.
In many people's opinions he didn't.

Stop dressing up your opinion as fact.

A broader life example -
I'm taking a wild guess that you would've been a massive advocate for going straight to the teacher at school as soon as someone had done something wrong by you, where as others were taught to handle matters on their own without calling in authority.
You cannot label one course of action right and the other wrong, it depends how you were brought up, it depends on your own ethics & morals, it depends on your current surroundings, it depends on a number of factors.

Diff'rent strokes for different folks and all that........

Thank you. David believes that whatever comes out of his mouth is fact, and the rest of us are imbeciles that have no idea what we are talking about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13   

Jump to: