Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Malthouse sacked!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck-e wrote:
Mick had one task in 2011.

And that was to take the most winningest team of that year, keep them singularly focused, hungry, primed and then go out and successfully become back to back premiers!

HE FAILED.

his contribution to that failure, to that loss of focus, to that loss of hunger, in my eyes, was instrumental /substantive ...he set the standard that his players then followed, a standard of look after the individual (the me) before looking after 'team'.

Really really tough to win em, super tough to win back to back. He set the standard ...he failed!! He failed his players, he failed the club.

You say MM only had one task in 2011. I'm guessing it had nothing to do with training drills, team selection, match-day preparation, match-day tactics, addressing the players and working the interchange every single week of the football season? Or was he just sitting back in the box sipping a piña colada while the players won 20 out of 22 games (and two finals) all on their own?

You can believe that if you want. It's ridiculous, but you can believe it. It's a free country. What you can't expect us to believe is that, after 22 home and away rounds and two finals in which he had no responsibility whatsoever for his team's success, on grand final day, it was his fault entirely that we lost.

I think I'm starting to understand how this coaching caper works now... Razz

What should be scary for the revisionists is this: do you realise that we could have played exactly the same in the 2011 grand final—yes, even with that fatigue, injury and loss of spark—and won? There were two teams on the field that day. What if Hawkins had had a Clokesque day in front of goal (wouldn't have been the first time)? What if a few of their defenders had lost composure under pressure and we'd been handed a couple of easy goals? There was only 20-odd points between the two sides at the end of the day; it could quite conceivably have gone the other way. If we had won, playing exactly the same, Malthouse coaching exactly the same, would we still be hearing ridiculous claims about him ruining our season on The Footy Show or about him 'failing' at his 'one task'? I'll let you think about that.

Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:33 pm

In what world does 38 = 20 odd?

Never mind we were 3 goals up.

schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:58 pm

Deja Vu wrote:
In what world does 38 = 20 odd?

Never mind we were 3 goals up.

David has written it so it must be fact.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:11 pm

David wrote:

What should be scary for the revisionists is this: do you realise that we could have played exactly the same in the 2011 grand final—yes, even with that fatigue, injury and loss of spark—and won? There were two teams on the field that day. What if Hawkins had had a Clokesque day in front of goal (wouldn't have been the first time)? What if a few of their defenders had lost composure under pressure and we'd been handed a couple of easy goals? There was only 20-odd points between the two sides at the end of the day; it could quite conceivably have gone the other way. If we had won, playing exactly the same, Malthouse coaching exactly the same, would we still be hearing ridiculous claims about him ruining our season on The Footy Show or about him 'failing' at his 'one task'? I'll let you think about that.

What if Malthouse wasn't such an ordinary match day coach? Wink

You've mentioned some pretty crucial "what ifs" there to which the answer will almost always be "but it wasn't". We didn't have the cattle to win that day and that judgement applies to the coaches' box as much as to the field of play.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:50 pm

Geek wrote:
David wrote:

You've mentioned some pretty crucial "what ifs" there to which the answer will almost always be "but it wasn't". We didn't have the cattle to win that day and that judgement applies to the coaches' box as much as to the field of play.

MM leaving a clearly injured Reid on big girl Hawkins, was a monstrous error of judgement, he turned once spud hawkins into a GF star, almost single handedly. Rolling Eyes

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:59 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Geek wrote:
David wrote:

MM leaving a clearly injured Reid on big girl Hawkins, was a monstrous error of judgement, he turned once spud hawkins into a GF star, almost single handedly. Rolling Eyes

The power of spite is vastly understood Pie - those that practice it will do almost anything to hurt the object of their spite - so it was, and continues to be with Mick.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:04 pm

To paraphrase a famous saying . . .

There are those who see the unvarnished facts of the matter and say 'so be it' . . . .

There are those who see the same facts and say ' I wish it were not so'. . . .

And those who say 'If I refuse to face the facts they will just go away' . . . .

In the last two instances such people perpetuate the ongoing increase in selfishness and narcissm.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:02 pm

droversdog65 wrote:
The power of spite is vastly understood Pie - those that practice it will do almost anything to hurt the object of their spite - so it was, and continues to be with Mick.

Yeah, because winning the grand final wouldn't have been the greatest form of revenge. Rolling Eyes

Honestly, some people on here come up with some tripe.

Touche on the winning margin, though. I guess I've done a little too well excising that game from my memory. Smile

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:27 pm

I told you I won't discuss anything with you.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:23 pm

History shows that over the journey MM was a great motivator of players, with many considering him somewhat of a father figure. He was able to get players to play for him at 3 clubs, winning 3 flags along the way. That's a fantastic achievement.

However, over time he became more and more self obsessed and delusional about his own importance. His departure from Collingwood was timely, and should have enabled MM to leave coaching with a great record as a much loved and revered figure amongst Collingwood supporters. Instead, he took it upon himself to undermine and belittle Bucks and to damage Collingwood. His decision to take on the blues coaching job, was one driven by a desire to kick sand in Eddie's face and show us that we were wrong to appoint Bucks as our coach. History shows that this narcissistic streak was transparent to all at Carlton, destroying any chance he ever had to form a real bond with the players there. They knew that it was all about MM, not about them. He is now a lonely, sad and bitter figure. Well done Mick, only you could have managed that.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:01 pm

Can’t be Bothered watching MM interview.

He be blaming everyone else except himself

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:08 pm

It is possible that mick just doesn't handle himself well when his ego is tested, instead of massaged. Perhaps this is a flaw in the man himself.

I, like him, have many flaws. As do most of us.

I keep hearing how bitter he was. Perhaps he was. Perhaps he loved our club so much it tore him up to be forced to leave a premiership club he helped build and mould. And perhaps his reactions post that event showed his flaws in all their glory. And perhaps the snowball kept rolling getting bigger and bigger on him until his ultimate sacking. Perhaps perhaps perhaps.

What I don't buy into is the whole "he lost the 2011 GF on purpose out of spite". As David correctly points out; What better revenge than to win it.

Ok. He made mistakes (Carlton) and said some stupid things. He's human. And he's reactive. He's passionate and yes somewhat selfishly driven, but.....

I respect mick for what he did for our club and the many years I enjoyed us playing finals under his watch.

I think we all should appreciate and respect it. Regardless of the flaws in the man. Because none of us are perfect.

A lot of the post collingwood stuff is just water under the bridge now.

And what better way to rub it into Carlton fans who mostly hate what he bought to their club, than for magpie fans to love and cherish what the guy bought to both our clubs.....surely the sweetest revenge.

Enjoy retirement mick and thanks.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:25 pm

September Zeros wrote:
It is possible that mick just doesn't handle himself well when his ego is tested, instead of massaged. Perhaps this is a flaw in the man himself.

I, like him, have many flaws. As do most of us.

I keep hearing how bitter he was. Perhaps he was. Perhaps he loved our club so much it tore him up to be forced to leave a premiership club he helped build and mould. And perhaps his reactions post that event showed his flaws in all their glory. And perhaps the snowball kept rolling getting bigger and bigger on him until his ultimate sacking. Perhaps perhaps perhaps.

What I don't buy into is the whole "he lost the 2011 GF on purpose out of spite". As David correctly points out; What better revenge than to win it.

Ok. He made mistakes (Carlton) and said some stupid things. He's human. And he's reactive. He's passionate and yes somewhat selfishly driven, but.....

I respect mick for what he did for our club and the many years I enjoyed us playing finals under his watch.

I think we all should appreciate and respect it. Regardless of the flaws in the man. Because none of us are perfect.

A lot of the post collingwood stuff is just water under the bridge now.

And what better way to rub it into Carlton fans who mostly hate what he bought to their club, than for magpie fans to love and cherish what the guy bought to both our clubs.....surely the sweetest revenge.

Enjoy retirement mick and thanks.

just when i thought nothing of value could be added to this thread, i read this. good summation of a very valid view out there.

whether it is of one's own doing or not, being painted into a corner is not a lot of fun and instinctively you look for the fastest, cleanest way out. when in that situation you have to fight for yourself because very few else will.

i hope he accepts eddie's offer to return home to collingwood. our club would have been a lot poorer if it were not for his contribution. i also hope those collingwood fans who harbour animosity towards him eventually let it go and welcome him back too. that day in october 2010 when we won the flag was one of the happiest days in our lives.

droversdog65 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:22 pm

JW you have an interesting view about being painted into a corner old son.

The board was going to sack his arse until Eddie came out in support of him, and it was only the 'oh-so-horrible' succession plan that gave him a chance to coach a winning flag team.

Just go back into VFL / AFL history and find out how many senior coaches were allowed to muddle through for as long as Mick was without the ultimate success.

The only one who painted Mick into a corner was Mick.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:37 pm

droversdog65 wrote:
JW you have an interesting view about being painted into a corner old son.

The board was going to sack his arse until Eddie came out in support of him, and it was only the 'oh-so-horrible' succession plan that gave him a chance to coach a winning flag team.

Just go back into VFL / AFL history and find out how many senior coaches were allowed to muddle through for as long as Mick was without the ultimate success.

The only one who painted Mick into a corner was Mick.

If the board were out to sack him and he knew it perhaps he was further in the corner than you think. And that's not to defend his reactions, rather just to understand them

Btw, 4 gf appearances during his tenure is hardly muddling your way to ultimate success, more like bordering on it for quite a number of years.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

Last edited by September Zeros on Thu May 28, 2015 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15   

Jump to: