Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Malthouse sacked!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al Swearengen 

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashman wrote:
Respect is a two way street.

Malthouse showed absolutely nothing but contempt and spite towards Eddie a man who backed him to the absolute hilt for a decade (in stark contrast to what Carltons board has done) and tried to facilitate an exit plan for him that would allow him a comfortable position and to leave coaching with the utmost dignity.

How about Malthouse's treatment of Buckley? He was the outstanding player for the majority of Malthouses tenure, a man whose consistency, professionalism and pursuit of excellence set a benchmark for the future stars of the 2010-11 era. He was the on field lieutenant for Malthouses off field general and how much respect has Mick shown him. The prick can't bring himself to shake Bucks' hand on breaking McHales record nor express a skerrick of appreciation towards him publicly.

You learn a lot about someone when things don't go how they wanted and we've learnt volumes about Malthouse's true character since 2011. He talks about respect but is incapable of showing any to those who truly warrant it because of a blatant narcissistic personality flaw.

I think it is hilarious what's happened to him, and if people think we "owe" him anything anymore I'd say Mick's existing bank balance is ample thanks for his time served at Collingwood now and nothing else is needed or warranted from us.

This.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:25 pm

http://www.footyalmanac.com.au/mick-malthouse-a-good-ordinary-coach/

The above link goes to an article that pretty much sums up my thoughts.

My mind also turns to the lyrics of a Dropkick Murphy's song 'You're a bitter old man who's done nothing but work...'

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:30 pm

May hasn't been a good month for Carlton. There's been the insipid on field performances, the sacking of Mick and the death of Blues legend BB King. But the big loser out of all this will be Essendope. Now that the Malthouse circus has left town the media will be re-focusing on them again.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:51 pm

makri wrote:
should have been sacked n '03 after that GF debacle. Still convinced he had very little to do with the make up of the side after 05/06. Going from a team that had recycled West Cost (mates??) hacks like Andrew Williams and the Chads to actually building a team around the gun recruits we picked up like Pendles and Thomas.

As player he will be remembered as a thug. As coach he had very little success at Footscray. At WCE the innuendo surrounding that team's fitness regime will never go away. At Collingwood he ended up being moved along as surplus to requirement. And at Carlton the wheels well and truly fell off. Yet this bloke has taken Jock's record. Good riddance.

Talk about rewriting history! Mick was the best coach Footscray had since Charlie Sutton in the 50's, getting them closer to the big dance than they had in donkeys.
He was easily the best coach West Coast ever had giving them the first two of their three premierships, the other was coached by his disciple Woosher!
And to suggest he didn't bring a brilliant era to Collingwood is just mean and petty. How many Collingwood premiership coaches do you know? There's only 2 about, unless you're in contact with Phonse and Jock somehow?! He is totally & utterly the guy responsible for the 2010 flag, ask any player, and he would have delivered at least 1 more if CFC hadn't made the biggest and most catastrophic cock-up in the history of the game! Have you ever heard a Carlton or Essendon supporter calling the 'succession' a mistake? Have you heard commentators like Dunstall saying it was a dumb idea?
Of course not!! They were stoked! They couldn’t believe their luck!

Forget about contracts and who said what or whether or not he sulked, or whether Buckley delivered an ultimatum to Eddie (and you'll find out one day that's EXACTLY what happened. Eddie promised Mick another year or two then renegged when Bucks threatened to walk, THAT was why MM was so dirty). Forget the legal ramifications, not our business. Just think about the common sense situation that we were in. Think about what would have been best for US, the members & fans! We had won the 2010 flag after making the prelim or Semi the previous 3 years, in 2011 we were WAY better than 2010, imagine about Round 10 that year Bucks calls a presser and announces that he's had a chat with Mick and Eddie and told them it would be ridiculous to change coaches when the side is playing its best footy since the 4peat in the 20's, and he's offered to wait a couple more years before taking over as coach. Do you seriously believe we wouldn't have won the 2011 flag? All the players and most of the supporters would've gotten what they wanted and happy players win flags. As it was we went into 2012 as the hottest flag favourites in years, and weren't too far off being on top after winning ten in a row between Carlton games despite the first of 4 straight injury plagues. I can't believe we wouldn't have gotten a lot closer. If we'd done that a still young side would've been very aware of the record they were playing for, the chance to equal the best side in history. If MM decided he had done enough, equalling Jock's 7 flags (if you give the 1930 flag to Bob Rush as many do) in less games, and handed over to Bucks for 2014 everyone would have been happy. Bucks wouldn’t have been on a hiding to nothing, Mick would be a true legend of the game, we'd still have many of our favourite players and be out on top of the pack where we belong with an incredible 18 flags. We'd still be one of the favourites for 2014, as we'd have recruited new talent, and the rest of Australia would really truly hate us like never before!!!
Is there anyone at ALL who wouldn't be happy with that outcome? EVERY magpie including all the players would be 100% behind Bucks. The future would be incredibly bright!

Now say that it didn’t turn out that way... We still would've won 2011 and be level with Carlton & Essendrug, but maybe we don't do quite as well in 2012, making finals but not as easily, and only getting to the semis. Either that season or the next everyone, including Mick, would be happy to see the 'succession' happen, and there's no split, no bitching, and we wouldn't be expecting instant flags from Bucks, even though we're 120% behind him!

Either way, Buckley's press conference in 2011 would've been the best thing that could possibly have happened to Collingwood in the second decade of the 3rd millennium. How could it be otherwise???

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:57 pm

You're alive and still full of crap. Is this story like the one about Daisy being a Brownlow medallist one day. A lot of if's but's and maybe's.
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:42 pm

Daisy would've won the Brownlow medal in 2011 if those incompetent umpires had've stepped in when those Freo mongrels were targeting him. But they didn't and eventually he snapped and retaliated and got rubbed out. He wasn't the same after he returned from suspension either, which was another thing that contributed to us not going back-to-back.
slangman 

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:46 pm

Flashman wrote:

Malthouse showed absolutely nothing but contempt and spite towards Eddie a man who backed him to the absolute hilt for a decade (in stark contrast to what Carltons board has done) and tried to facilitate an exit plan for him that would allow him a comfortable position and to leave coaching with the utmost dignity.

How about Malthouse's treatment of Buckley? He was the outstanding player for the majority of Malthouses tenure, a man whose consistency, professionalism and pursuit of excellence set a benchmark for the future stars of the 2010-11 era. He was the on field lieutenant for Malthouses off field general and how much respect has Mick shown him. The prick can't bring himself to shake Bucks' hand on breaking McHales record nor express a skerrick of appreciation towards him publicly.

You learn a lot about someone when things don't go how they wanted and we've learnt volumes about Malthouse's true character since 2011. He talks about respect but is incapable of showing any to those who truly warrant it because of a blatant narcissistic personality flaw.

I think it is hilarious what's happened to him, and if people think we "owe" him anything anymore I'd say Mick's existing bank balance is ample thanks for his time served at Collingwood now and nothing else is needed or warranted from us.

Spot on

MagpiesTheGreat 

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:01 pm

To anyone who deserts Collingwood: rot in hell!!!
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:02 pm

To I lost my train of thought.
chuck-e 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:24 am

Mick had one task in 2011.

And that was to take the most winningest team of that year, keep them singularly focused, hungry, primed and then go out and successfully become back to back premiers!

HE FAILED.

his contribution to that failure, to that loss of focus, to that loss of hunger, in my eyes, was instrumental /substantive ...he set the standard that his players then followed, a standard of look after the individual (the me) before looking after 'team'.

Really really tough to win em, super tough to win back to back. He set the standard ...he failed!! He failed his players, he failed the club.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:32 am

Flashman wrote:

That is one of the best posts I've read on this board! Spot on in every respect.

I don't discount Malthouse's achievements as our coach for more than a decade. Our club had hit rock-bottom at the end of 1999 but with him and Eddie leading the way from 2000 onwards the club became respected and feared again and Mick's ability to allow the club to have sustained success barring 2004/2005 was impressive and I couldn't be more prouder of the efforts of 2002, 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2011 to be so close to success or to have the ultimate success as we saw in 2010. We missed so much of that in the 80s and 90s barring 1990 of course so many cherished those times under him.

However I cannot forget the way he conducted himself from the halfway point of the 2011 season to the present day. He has undermined our football club since the moment he appeared on the Footy Show and began doubting his future at our club in his eventual new role after Bucks would take over as senior coach. Again I wasn't that offended by the fact that he left at the end of 2011 all together but his motivation to join Carlton and to make subtle digs towards us throughout the way was nothing short of a disgrace. His demise at Carlton has all been self-inflicted and it's the reason why so many are taking great pleasure in seeing him crash and burn right now.

I won't forget what he brought to the club in a positive way but 2011 onwards has left a sour taste in my mouth and I will never view him or hold him in a high regard of him ever again and that's all because of his attitude and conduct in the past few years sadly. This is an egotistical man who thought he was bigger than the club.

SuperSwede 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:02 am

35forever wrote:

Talk about rewriting history! Mick was the best coach Footscray had since Charlie Sutton in the 50's, getting them closer to the big dance than they had in donkeys.
He was easily the best coach West Coast ever had giving them the first two of their three premierships, the other was coached by his disciple Woosher!
And to suggest he didn't bring a brilliant era to Collingwood is just mean and petty. How many Collingwood premiership coaches do you know? There's only 2 about, unless you're in contact with Phonse and Jock somehow?! He is totally & utterly the guy responsible for the 2010 flag, ask any player, and he would have delivered at least 1 more if CFC hadn't made the biggest and most catastrophic cock-up in the history of the game! Have you ever heard a Carlton or Essendon supporter calling the 'succession' a mistake? Have you heard commentators like Dunstall saying it was a dumb idea?
Of course not!! They were stoked! They couldn’t believe their luck!

Forget about contracts and who said what or whether or not he sulked, or whether Buckley delivered an ultimatum to Eddie (and you'll find out one day that's EXACTLY what happened. Eddie promised Mick another year or two then renegged when Bucks threatened to walk, THAT was why MM was so dirty). Forget the legal ramifications, not our business. Just think about the common sense situation that we were in. Think about what would have been best for US, the members & fans! We had won the 2010 flag after making the prelim or Semi the previous 3 years, in 2011 we were WAY better than 2010, imagine about Round 10 that year Bucks calls a presser and announces that he's had a chat with Mick and Eddie and told them it would be ridiculous to change coaches when the side is playing its best footy since the 4peat in the 20's, and he's offered to wait a couple more years before taking over as coach. Do you seriously believe we wouldn't have won the 2011 flag? All the players and most of the supporters would've gotten what they wanted and happy players win flags. As it was we went into 2012 as the hottest flag favourites in years, and weren't too far off being on top after winning ten in a row between Carlton games despite the first of 4 straight injury plagues. I can't believe we wouldn't have gotten a lot closer. If we'd done that a still young side would've been very aware of the record they were playing for, the chance to equal the best side in history. If MM decided he had done enough, equalling Jock's 7 flags (if you give the 1930 flag to Bob Rush as many do) in less games, and handed over to Bucks for 2014 everyone would have been happy. Bucks wouldn’t have been on a hiding to nothing, Mick would be a true legend of the game, we'd still have many of our favourite players and be out on top of the pack where we belong with an incredible 18 flags. We'd still be one of the favourites for 2014, as we'd have recruited new talent, and the rest of Australia would really truly hate us like never before!!!
Is there anyone at ALL who wouldn't be happy with that outcome? EVERY magpie including all the players would be 100% behind Bucks. The future would be incredibly bright!

Now say that it didn’t turn out that way... We still would've won 2011 and be level with Carlton & Essendrug, but maybe we don't do quite as well in 2012, making finals but not as easily, and only getting to the semis. Either that season or the next everyone, including Mick, would be happy to see the 'succession' happen, and there's no split, no bitching, and we wouldn't be expecting instant flags from Bucks, even though we're 120% behind him!

Either way, Buckley's press conference in 2011 would've been the best thing that could possibly have happened to Collingwood in the second decade of the 3rd millennium. How could it be otherwise???

Amazing, could’ve, would’ve should’ve.
I guess it’s always interesting to speculate as to what might have happened if a certain event had taken place, (or not taken place). The good thing is that you can never be proved wrong, on the other hand you can never be proved right either.
For my own – I guess I’m a little more dull - I prefer to stick to facts. Facts can for the most part be verified, whereas speculation cannot. The undisputable facts are that in the GF against Geelong we were beaten by 38 points after we held an 18 point lead midway through the second quarter. If you want to believe that this was due to the succession plan, go ahead. Experience has taught me that quite often the answer to a question is the most obvious one. Could it be that Geelong simply were a little better than us when it counted? Particularly in light of the fact that we played them three times in the season and lost all three times. If you are honest with yourself, don’t you think this is the conclusion that an unbiased observer would arrive at?
As events showed MM was not happy with the deal, my guess is that he wanted to coach on and possibly break Jock Mc Hale’s record. (poisoned chalice as it turned out) But if so might not his best bet in 2011 actually have been to try and win the flag? Collingwood would have looked silly - to say the least - asking a coach who had just delivered back to back premierships to step down.
As to us being way better in 2011 than 2010, that is entirely a matter of opinion, our home and away season in 2011 was terrific, but it seems to me that that the H&A season is more a jockeying for position for September than anything else. Our finals campaign in 2010 was magnificent, our campaign in 2011 was ordinary by comparison.
If Bucks had announced that he was prepared to wait a couple of years no doubt things would have been different. We might have won the flag in 2011, 2012 and 2013 then again we might not have. My own suspicion is that quite a few people who write about football and get paid for it would not subscribe to that theory. As for seriously believing that we wouldn’t have won the 2011 GF I imagine that there are a lot of Geelong players and supporters and possibly football journalists who have no difficulty believing that.
As to what’s happening at the moment, I’m delighted that it’s happening to Carlton. I feel kind of sad though about Malthouse, he was if not great then at least a very good coach for us. His record was quite good. Bucks stated that he was just what the club needed at the time and he was instrumental in his own development. Where would Dane Swan have been if MM hadn’t shown faith in him when he needed it? Regrettably his judgement seems to failed him badly since.
Oh and I’m glad you are 120 % behind Bucks. I have just got the impression that it has not always been so.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:18 pm

John Wren wrote:
Lazza wrote:
WarrenerraW wrote:
Perhaps we would have more respect for him had he held his end of the bargain and honoured his contract, and not walk out in disgrace and bring our 2011 premiership campaign down with him. It was always about him and his bloody ego. Achievements aside, the guy is an egomaniac hell bent on destroying everything and everyone around him when he doesn't get his own way or when things aren't going right. He's a ruiner.

A few others and I have said the very same thing here using similar words but a few bleeding hearts choose to ignore such logical posts mate. What you say is SO clear and evident in MM's behaviours but the not so blind refuse to see it or acknowledge these facts. Rolling Eyes

some of "the blind" you accuse of not seeing mick's failing probably choose not to lower themselves by engaging in the vitriolic, vindictive and puerile abuse of public figures as if it is their god given right. does it make you feel better when the likes of you, chess boy and others post what you do? we're all humans, we all have our failings. we have all done things we wish we hadn't. if confronted with the same situation i am sure we'd approach it in many different ways and there's no guarantee we wouldn't react similarly.

JW, does your "purile abuse of puiblic figures"" extend to politicians, aka Abbott, who break every single promise, and too shock jocks, who use redneck racism to grab an audience, aka alan jones "?? Sorry Johnny, but when someone kicks my team in the guts, out of sheer spite and revenge, i tend to hit back hard, give people like that an inch, and they take a mile. MM knew to the letter what he was doing, a carefully orchestrated plan to screw our Club, and grab a cheap shot flag with our arch enemy, a mob that has caused us more angst and pain than any footy fan should ever endure. He made his bed, yes, oneday he may be welcomed back to the Pies, life membership, but by god, he has some serious bridge building too do first. Confused

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:23 pm

chuck-e wrote:
Mick had one task in 2011.

And that was to take the most winningest team of that year, keep them singularly focused, hungry, primed and then go out and successfully become back to back premiers!

HE FAILED.

his contribution to that failure, to that loss of focus, to that loss of hunger, in my eyes, was instrumental /substantive ...he set the standard that his players then followed, a standard of look after the individual (the me) before looking after 'team'.

Really really tough to win em, super tough to win back to back. He set the standard ...he failed!! He failed his players, he failed the club.

Spot on, we should have gone back to back in 2011, first time since 1935-36, but ol Micks vicious and snide appearance on the footy show, mid season, totally derailed our campaign, put a big cloud over our finals preparation, aka that first final when the cats destroyed us by nearly 100 points, we never recovered, confidence shot, and i have a vivid memory of the old sod laughing with tim watson post that game, actually smiling broadly, no wonder we went to the pack on the Big Day, just ask poor injured Ben Reid too. Exclamation

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
droversdog65 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:26 pm

Those that can see past the surface and don't listen to the sheep understand the actual effects.

There are none as blind as those who do not wish to see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 11 of 15   

Jump to: